Roots are as good as a stun to melee!

AntoniusDelitan

No, they're not.

You can use your 10m range abilites, 30m ranged abilities, use a stim, use a medpack, or attack someone closer when you're rooted. If you want a nerf to roots, you get a nerf to damage to make up for the increased time-on-target. Which, for any good melee, isn't an issue anyway...

Now excuse me while I go PvP some more on my lowbie marauder.

Edited by AntoniusDelitan

Time-on-target is a HUGE issue for melee in this game. Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to how many stuns, roots, physics effects, and escape abilities are available to nearly every single class except for Sentinels/Marauders?

Which is why Sentinels and Marauders output so much damage. They have low time-on-target, so they have to make the most of that time. If you let a low-CC, low-utility, high-damage, high self-defense melee brawler whack on you for an extended period of time, you deserve to die.

Time-on-target is a HUGE issue for melee in this game. Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to how many stuns, roots, physics effects, and escape abilities are available to nearly every single class except for Sentinels/Marauders?

Which is why Sentinels and Marauders output so much damage. They have low time-on-target, so they have to make the most of that time. If you let a low-CC, low-utility, high-damage, high self-defense melee brawler whack on you for an extended period of time, you deserve to die.

So.... what's the problem then? Last I checked... sents and marauders were tearing people up. At least... the GOOD ones are....

Root in the huttball fire pit since the guy has full resolve- oh yeah, so fondly fair for classes...this "root" does take away all control under certain conditions and cause certain death with no additional action needed.

So.... what's the problem then? Last I checked... sents and marauders were tearing people up. At least... the GOOD ones are....

I was responding to the statement that time-on-target "it's an issue for good melee".

Yes, it is -- unless the target the melee class is facing is terrible.

The reason you see so many people complaining about Sentinel/Marauder damage output is because they expect to be able to "tank" them like you can most classes in this game. However, if you let a high-damage melee brawler DPS you unhindered you deserve to die -- Bioware got this one right.

It is comically easy to deal with melee brawlers in this game, but a lot of people don't want to put the effort into learning how to handle their class or work as a team. Instead they scream for nerfs when a class kills them in exactly the manner that they were designed to operate.

No, they're not.

You can use your 10m range abilites, 30m ranged abilities, use a stim, use a medpack, or attack someone closer when you're rooted. If you want a nerf to roots, you get a nerf to damage to make up for the increased time-on-target. Which, for any good melee, isn't an issue anyway...

huh?

What 10/30M ranged abilities does my Sentinel have that I'm not aware of? I only know of two. . .the saber throws. . .since you can't leap while rooted.

They really are a stun to a melee.

If you wanna nerf our damage for 'increased time-on-target' then we get to nerf your overall damage/second since you're range(range should NEVER do as much damage as a melee attack).

huh?

What 10/30M ranged abilities does my Sentinel have that I'm not aware of? I only know of two. . .the saber throws. . .since you can't leap while rooted.

They really are a stun to a melee.

If you wanna nerf our damage for 'increased time-on-target' then we get to nerf your overall damage/second since you're range(range should NEVER do as much damage as a melee attack).

No they're not. It's like saying interrupts should be on resolve because they interfere with a ranged classes ability to kill things. Both are idiotic ideas.

Edited by Smashbrother

Ehmm....Commando Combat Medic here, have only an AoE knockback with 30 secs CD, 99% of times the Sentinel/Marauder can charge me to keep melee again on low Cd where is the problem?:rolleyes:

YES!!!!

Funny, I was going to post similar post today, you were faster:)

Now, lets be more specific.

Who is melee in this game (using empire terminology)?

Juggernaut, Marauder, Assasin, Powertech, Operative.

What skills those classes have with max range higher than 4m?

Jugg - Saber throw (10-30), force scream, force choke, force crush (if specced), dispatch

Marauder - deadly throw, force scream, force choke, dispatch, force crush (if specced) (I will add here that force scream is one of the hardest hitting warrior ability, and force choke is great for stalling fight when rooted, its biggest disadvantage is negated by the fact you are already rooted;))

Assassin - shock, discharge, force lighting (up to 30m), witcher (if specced), death field (if specced), creeping terror (of speced), crushing darkness

Powertech - everything but rocket punch

Operative - autoattack;), ranged root, those basic sniper skills (I am not an operative expert;) )

Anyway, melee can effectively attack targets in 0-10m range and they can use their defensive cooldown, medpacks etc.

We should remember that marauders, assasins and powertechs can spec to have additional root/snare breaker. It is players choice to not have them.

So,

Other than operatives, this is a melee's game. Melee own the warzones so hard it's not even funny.

Time-on-target is a HUGE issue for melee in this game.

No it isn't. It's not the class if you can't stay on a ranged target most of the time. It's you.

There is nothing in the game that can shake my shadow for more than a few seconds.

The reason you see so many people complaining about Sentinel/Marauder damage output is because they expect to be able to "tank" them like you can most classes in this game. However, if you let a high-damage melee brawler DPS you unhindered you deserve to die -- Bioware got this one right.

And that's why it's become a balance problem. High DPS + high defense + high mobility (you cannot kite a good sent/mara for more than a couple seconds) = overpowered.

Edited by Caelrie

They're not the same but they can hurt a lot when used with slowing affects, resulting in kiting. This mostly affects just operatives/scoundrels but it still hurts other melee classes if they get caught at inopportune times.

I don't know how to fix this issue directly, but if someone has full resolve, being able to root them in place doesn't seem just. I was playing my sorcerer and respecced into Madness and I have to laugh at the 31 talent root; short cooldown, highly effective, and way too abusive towards melee classes.

No, they're not.

if ur point was to prove that root is not as devastating to melee as stun...you won, but honestly i dont think anyone was arguing that

roots are, however, much more devastating to a melee than a ranged...in fact i rest my case with that...should be fairly obvious

and people are not asking for nerfed roots, they are asking for roots to effect the resolve bar, which it should

Edited by longgrassgrows

Operative - autoattack;), ranged root, those basic sniper skills (I am not an operative expert;) )

Operatives have no ranged roots. Operatives are not Snipers. Imperials Agent is the class, with Operative and Sniper the Advanced Class.

Operatives have a short ranged stun (Flash Bang) which breaks on damage, a melee stun (Debilitate) and a ranged stun which breaks on damage and can only be used if both parties are out of combat (sleep dart).

Concelmeant Operatives can also spec for their Hidden Strike to knockdown for a paltry 1.5 seconds.

Other than operatives, this is a melee's game. Melee own the warzones so hard it's not even funny.

No it isn't. It's not the class if you can't stay on a ranged target most of the time. It's you.

There is nothing in the game that can shake my shadow for more than a few seconds.

And that's why it's become a balance problem. High DPS + high defense + high mobility (you cannot kite a good sent/mara for more than a couple seconds) = overpowered.

finaly someone with common sense people like you are rare on the internet we need more of you :(

mara are High DPS + high defense + high mobility...whaaaaaaat...your a gosh darn fool

high dps-yup...ill give you that

high defense-only when they have their defensive cooldowns popped...both have decent cooldowns...btw ALL CLASSES HAVE SOME SORT OF DEFENSIVE COOLDOWN...and even then, i would not call them "high defense" at all

high mobility-no they do not...one gap closer, if you are knocked back and slowed or rooted it very hard to get back on your target

jeez...everything is overpowered with these people...bunch of cry babies

edit: FYI i did not write "gosh darn", dont know why it is auto correcting that ****

Edited by longgrassgrows

YES!!!!

Funny, I was going to post similar post today, you were faster:)

Now, lets be more specific.

Who is melee in this game (using empire terminology)?

Juggernaut, Marauder, Assasin, Powertech, Operative.

What skills those classes have with max range higher than 4m?

Jugg - Saber throw (10-30), force scream, force choke, force crush (if specced), dispatch

Marauder - deadly throw, force scream, force choke, dispatch, force crush (if specced) (I will add here that force scream is one of the hardest hitting warrior ability, and force choke is great for stalling fight when rooted, its biggest disadvantage is negated by the fact you are already rooted;))

Assassin - shock, discharge, force lighting (up to 30m), witcher (if specced), death field (if specced), creeping terror (of speced), crushing darkness

Powertech - everything but rocket punch

Anyway, melee can effectively attack targets in 0-10m range and they can use their defensive cooldown, medpacks etc.

We should remember that marauders, assasins and powertechs can spec to have additional root/snare breaker. It is players choice to not have them.

So,

That list becomes a lot shorter once you look at ranges beyond 10 yards...which is typically what happens when people root you.

Juggernauts - Saber Throw (20-30 second CD, hits for about 1000).

Marauder - Can't think of anything

Bear in mind that neither Juggernauts nor Marauders can generate Rage while out of range.

The other classes seem to have sufficient ranged abilities due to their hybrid nature. But Sith Warriors don't.

Operatives have no ranged roots. Operatives are not Snipers. Imperials Agent is the class, with Operative and Sniper the Advanced Class.

You can spec into 2 sec root on sever tendon as operative. additionaly, you can spec for additional root/snare breaker as operative too (you cant have both, but still:))

That list becomes a lot shorter once you look at ranges beyond 10 yards...which is typically what happens when people root you.

Bear in mind that neither Juggernauts nor Marauders can generate Rage while out of range.

The other classes seem to have sufficient ranged abilities due to their hybrid nature. But Sith Warriors don't.

And who exactly roots you further than 10m? Sorc and sniper knockbacks leave you in 10m range. Only merc KB send you further than that, but it has no root attached. If they decide to increase range, they are not damaging you (and you will charge them afterwards;)). Other roots are from melee classes (or those who need to stay in 10m range too, like PT).

Jugg can generate rage when rooted (enrage if I am not mistaken), marauders have problem, I admit, but this is resource management problem, not a lack of range abilites problem (ie. if marauder is stunned with a lot of rage, he can act pretty normaly).

PS. force choke is a perfect solution to being rooted and rage-starved. I know it has loooong CD, but it is some option.

Edited by Kaarsa

Crippling throw for sent/mara, the one that reduces the targets healing received is 10 meter range I believe, blade rush has longer range too, dispatch, but it only works if the target is 20% or lower. Of course none of that matters if you don't have the focus to use the skills.

Crippling throw for sent/mara, the one that reduces the targets healing received is 10 meter range I believe, blade rush has longer range too, dispatch, but it only works if the target is 20% or lower. Of course none of that matters if you don't have the focus to use the skills.

he said BEYOND 10 meters

and blade rush is specced into and only 4 meters

Edited by longgrassgrows

You can spec into 2 sec root on sever tendon as operative. additionaly, you can spec for additional root/snare breaker as operative too (you cant have both, but still:))

Good point, forgot about that 2 point skill wich turns Sever Tendon into a 10m ranged root :)

he said BEYOND 10 meters

and blade rush is specced into and only 4 meters

I think he meant blade storm, 10m range.

As I stated above, being rooted be someone further than 10m is rare occasion, basicaly only when

1. rooter kites you (he is not damaging you then)

2. you were knocked from the ledge, in that case you are screwed, root or not;)

quick force choke solves your root problems;)

Additionaly, roots last usually 2 sec, if they are longer, they break on dmg, so you need 1 GCD with larger than 10m range to say "I can act more or less fine".

Ehmm....Commando Combat Medic here, have only an AoE knockback with 30 secs CD, 99% of times the Sentinel/Marauder can charge me to keep melee again on low Cd where is the problem?:rolleyes:

you don't have a snare you can use?