Should I be affronted

ajfrankj

It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.

Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think the Sith is a better representation of the American Government lol, in a caricature kinda way.

Anyway - I think the only reason they have that accent is because they are an empire. When people think of an empire they naturally think of the British Empire, and that ''noble'' sounding voice, along with the Hierarchy, just gets that point across better than anything else would. Not that the corrupt, rotting power structure is representative of GB.

Although in some ways the Republic might represent some American ideals - I kinda don't see us as that goody-goody. At least not since the Victorian era, and definitely not since the 60's & 70's lol.

In any event, there's massive skeletons in both closets here - I wouldn't bother to be affronted by a characterization, however accurate it was, made in a video game for a background based simply on an accent and borrowed titles. Unless you happen to agree with it of course - but then that's a whole other issue altogether.

It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.

Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?

Please tell me your kidding.

No you shoudnt be offended.

Just as i shoudnt be offended that people think:

Dutch people are drug addicting who loving hippies with big mouth and little brains(i dont even disagree with them)

Tropic 4 quete:

All countries say bad things about other countries and there all right.

The fact that you are "affronted" as oppose to "offended", that you want to enforce your cultures beliefs on another's literature, and that you claim to be British says to me that the choice of accent they chose for the Imperials was spot on.

Wait! Let's start a letter writing campaign complaining about the portrayal of Americans in Downton Abbey! No, really, let's not.

Seriously, though. If you play the Imperials, you will see that they think of themselves as the good guys. They are not one-dimensional evil bastards. They just have a different government structure.

If we are to be affronted it should be because the devs also included some Scottish and Welsh accents because they think we are the same place!

Bioware should include more regional accents, not less. It's terribly classist, but they're using the stereotypical "British/BBC" accent for the officers, Moffs and II Agents with a smattering of regional accents as "oddities" which would represent a certain amount of upwardly mobile people in the lower classes, due to their ability and not necessarily due to born status.

I still think Bill Bailey should get to voice a Moff at some point.

If I recall correctly, English and American accents can be found on both sides in the original trilogy.

Obi-Wan is the most obvious British goodie but, don't forget Mon Mothma (taking a break from battling Godzilla) and of course, Threepio.

Likewise, in A New Hope, many lower ranking imperials, including storrmtroopers have american accents.

As a Scot who developed an English accent when we moved to Manchester when I was six, I don't really care about accents too much.

The fact that you are "affronted" as oppose to "offended", that you want to enforce your cultures beliefs on another's literature, and that you claim to be British says to me that the choice of accent they chose for the Imperials was spot on.

Wait! Let's start a letter writing campaign complaining about the portrayal of Americans in Downton Abbey! No, really, let's not.

Seriously, though. If you play the Imperials, you will see that they think of themselves as the good guys. They are not one-dimensional evil bastards. They just have a different government structure.

Affronted is not the same as offended, affronted is offended by the whole concept, it's a broader offense, a cultural broadside if you will. Besides we are allowed multiple words for the same thing, it would be a boring language if we all had to comply to american usage, or american's had to observe english usage.

On the subject of the thread, as a British person I am doubly offended, firstly that the Empire seems to be based on the English, and secondly that it's a mock up of southern accents, where's the Brummies and the Lancashire/Yorkshire accents, and could the have at least one scouser in Nar Shadaa, after all we get everywhere.

Actually, as with everything else, BW messed it up. The republic capital is Corruscant, and in the movies what accent does everyone from corruscant have?

And George Lucas specifically instructed Dave Filoni that Twi'leks have french accents when they were doing the episodes about Ryloth.

I'm sure there are many others, but that's just stuff that jumps out off the top of my head.

I think the Republic should be insulted that you compared them to Americans. :w_tongue:

The imperials, as a group of people who all came from one place, have similar accents. This isn't surprising.

As for British, what are you talking about??? What's Britain? They all sound like they've got Dromund Kaas accents to me.

Unless you want an out-of-game-lore anwer. In which case I've got that for ya too. Watch the movies. See how the Imperials sound? Canonical accent.

As for why the Imps in Canon have accents--no worries. George Lucas isn't anti-brit. He did, however, find himself with a unique need back in the 1970's. He needed the world's largest soundstage for his new screenplay, and for the majority of the film's extras (who happen to be Imperial), he hired local talent once he arrived at Leavesden Studios. Which is in England.

In the movies many of the Empire's officials had British accents. That's really the only reason the Empire has this kind of accent in the games. Also, whether the Empire (not the Sith, but the EMPIRE) is good or bad actually is pretty subjective.

If you want to look at an accent and feel affronted because it's used to represent a group of people that you may not particularly like, then World of Warcraft must think Jamaicans are nothing but a bunch of voodoo worshipping lazy layabout trolls. Catch my drift?

The Empire has an accent. It could just as easily have been German or Chinese or anything else.

As a brit living in britan, i am honoured that all the empire sound like us. That starwars recognise our rightfull place in the galaxy, as it rulers. Name another country, what charm the socks of you while taking all your power of you. Even buy your country, and make you kill their own people to defend it for us. We where the ultimate empire, and sw honours that.

Affronted is not the same as offended, affronted is offended by the whole concept, it's a broader offense, a cultural broadside if you will. Besides we are allowed multiple words for the same thing, it would be a boring language if we all had to comply to american usage, or american's had to observe english usage.

On the subject of the thread, as a British person I am doubly offended, firstly that the Empire seems to be based on the English, and secondly that it's a mock up of southern accents, where's the Brummies and the Lancashire/Yorkshire accents, and could the have at least one scouser in Nar Shadaa, after all we get everywhere.

They obviously don't teach American in England. Affront is not used like that in American. Learn more American, less Brittish.(sic.) Follow Hugh Laurie's example.

The Empire being based on the British Empire. The gall!

I also feel disrespected by the fact that only Midwestern/New England accents are being used. They aren't the only ones who can run a self-destructive, corrupt "democracy".

I'm having too much fun laughing about this.

Edited by hillltrot

They obviously don't teach American in England. Affront is not used like that in American. Learn more American, less Brittish.(sic.) ...

"Learn more American"

I can't tell if you're trying to be silly, or if you actually mean this.

Was like that in the movies which is why it's like that in the game. If placing blame is important (this is a forum so of course it is) then blame the IP. Is Green Bay a popular place for Brits to live? Edited by GalacticKegger

They obviously don't teach American in England. Affront is not used like that in American. Learn more American, less Brittish.(sic.) Follow Hugh Laurie's example.

The Empire being based on the British Empire. The gall!

I also feel disrespected by the fact that only Midwestern/New England accents are being used. They aren't the only ones who can run a self-destructive, corrupt "democracy".

I'm having too much fun laughing about this.

There is no such thing as "American Language".

Its called English.

Yu spik engrish wel?