Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Datacron Bonuses

DanielKT
03.05.2016 , 06:04 PM | #1
I've noticed, I think, that the datacron bonuses don't seem to function with level scaling.
I've watched my stats after I get one and there is no change.

I know the scaling system is very largely over writing the need to keep gear current (it's scaling 'bad' gear up to max at a level.....) but it also seems to be over writing the datacon bonuses.

Can someone double check for me?

If it is indeed the case; what exactly is the point of getting them if they don't apply the bonus they are supposed to?

Erevan_Kindelar
03.05.2016 , 06:08 PM | #2
The basic stats do change, but if you are on a planet where you are level synched down, then you are almost certainly at or above the stat cap associated with that planet. So the bonus you get from the datacron would not be visible until you visit either the fleet, a stronghold, your ship or a planet where you are not level synched.
I am telling the truth, honestly! I am as honest as the day is long! Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving.
Like most other subs, I have a Referral Link. Clicking it gets you some stuff, and me some stuff too.

DanielKT
03.05.2016 , 07:37 PM | #3
So in other words, any activity that is not level 65; the datacrons don't matter. And frankly gear doesn't look like it matters either since the game screws around with that as well.

Is that accurate?

MrGoldsilver
03.05.2016 , 07:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielKT View Post
So in other words, any activity that is not level 65; the datacrons don't matter. And frankly gear doesn't look like it matters either since the game screws around with that as well.

Is that accurate?
Gear does matter, but only if the gear has tertiary stats (Accuracy, Crit, and alacrity)

Power, Mainstat, and endurance get capped at a certain point.
If war is peace, but peace is a lie, does that make war a lie also?

Engineering Sniper is quite fun now, thank you
Also, nerf operatives

DayneDrak
03.05.2016 , 09:26 PM | #5

Is that accurate?
Not entirely true.

For example, create a new character on your account where you have all the datacrons. Note the stats.

Now go create a character on a server where you have no legacy and note the stats. You'll see they kick in, even from level 1.

But yeah, if you're level synced, then the numbers are hard capped, so you're not going to see much benefit from improved gear, datacrons, or anything else (well, the Presence datacrons still work, Presence isn't hard capped).

Khevar
03.05.2016 , 09:44 PM | #6
One interesting thing with the level sync, is that it only kicks in once you've exceeded the level of the planet you're on.

So if the level cap on a planet is 22, and you ding level 23 while questing on the planet, it's entirely possible for your stats to go down.

DanielKT
03.05.2016 , 11:10 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
One interesting thing with the level sync, is that it only kicks in once you've exceeded the level of the planet you're on.

So if the level cap on a planet is 22, and you ding level 23 while questing on the planet, it's entirely possible for your stats to go down.

Which is what i'm partly talking about and is quite infuriating. If I have better gear than the zone rates for, I shouldn't be penalized for it. just set my stats to the max for the zone.

But it doesn't.

It looks at the QUALITY of the item you have and sets your stats to the max for the zone of that quality.

doesn't matter if you have a 186 blue item in a level 10 zone. It treats it as a level 10 blue item and knocks your stats down accordingly. Makes it hard to care about upgrading gear.

Khevar
03.05.2016 , 11:21 PM | #8
It looks at the QUALITY of the item you have and sets your stats to the max for the zone of that quality.

doesn't matter if you have a 186 blue item in a level 10 zone. It treats it as a level 10 blue item and knocks your stats down accordingly. Makes it hard to care about upgrading gear.
Not exactly. Here's how it works:

1. Each planet has a "max level"
2. Any toon over that level is synced down.
3. The down sync affects Mastery, Endurance and Power.
4. Those three stats also have a "cap" for each planet. Any stat greater than that cap is reduced to it's max.
5. Any secondary stat (Crit, Alacrity, Accuracy, Defense, Shield and Absorb) is unaffected by the cap.

The quality if the gear is not a factor in the math.

So, if you happen to be wearing a decent set of gear with balanced secondary stats, you will still benefit from it.

My level 23 Sage visiting Nar Shaddaa has 103% accuracy, 11% crit and 1% alacrity.
My level 65 Merc visiting Nar Shaddaa has 110% accuracy, 32% crit and 11% alacrity.

Though they're limited to the same amount of Mastery, Endurance and Power, my Merc is significantly more powerful than my Sage, even if I were to limit myself to only using abilities unlocked by level 23.

Thalnar
04.02.2016 , 10:35 AM | #9
the point of getting them is because at max level there is no level sync in max level areas. or non world pvp. which gives you a boost that is separate from your gear