Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Genuine Inquiry, and Concern

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Genuine Inquiry, and Concern

KamikaziCain
04.01.2016 , 05:48 AM | #1
It may be a bit of a shock to some, but i do thoroughly enjoy reading the "rules" whatever their titles may be. I like to do so, because it enlightens me to what is allowed and what is not, and honestly, if i were an in game Moderator, i'd be suspending people left and right for violating so many without any care to the world for ramifications.

But that is not my targeted topic, no, i'm more interested in one that i notice many people dictate as against the "Rules" now before i go into detail let me get some quotes from the TOS, and the ROC, i would quote from the EUALA but it is not mentioned about in that one.

Straight COPY PASTE from the TOS for EA:
Spoiler

Straight COPY PASTE from the ROC for SWTOR:
Spoiler

You can look over the EUALA if you wish, but it doesn't make much for the point i'm getting at.

Now that the actual content legally accepted by all users of the game has been properly referenced, I will now continue onto a subject of concern i've been having lately.

Of the TOS for EA services:
In section 11 you could violate if you:
- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.
- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.

and in section 13:
You may not modify EA Software or use it in any way not expressly authorized in writing by EA.
Of the ROC for SWTOR:
You may not use any of your own software or third-party software to modify the Service content to change game play.

So now that all that has been clarified, i'm still in the dark about how using a post process that utilizes software owned by a completely different entity could violate these points in the agreement. I have an AMD video card, and i run Windows 10 Pro, both are used by SWTOR, neither alters the game content. I'm speaking of course about DirectX, Microsoft owns this, and is distributed freely throughout the Windows Community, games are built to run through DirectX. And according to the above quoted points of the TOS by EA, and the ROC by SWTOR using post processing like SweetFX is NOT against them, and there is no claim to the base software used by SweetFX, aka DirectX. SweetFX does not alter the game content, it isn't a cheat, and it certainly doesn't affect anyone outside the PC running it... neither does DirectX.

Discerning to the point herein, having read the rules set forth by both EA and SWTOR i have confirmed that use of SweetFX is NOT against any regulations set forth in their respective property rights, and additionally conclude that the usage of said post effects cannot be governed by said regulations due to the fact that it:
A: is the same software the game itself uses, unmentioned nearly at all, except for in "System Requirements"
B: is freely accessible with every Microsoft OS
C: The core components of DirectX are necessary to even run the game.

So yes, you can use SweetFX and take solace knowing that you cannot, nor will ever, be punished for using it. I'm not trying to incite a riot, i'm not looking for a fight, i'm just making a point.

What you do with DirectX and your video card, is your own right to do with as you please, for the TOS and the ROC both do not hold any restrictions or regulations to DirectX. That would be like Microsoft saying you can't overclock your hardware without violating their rules, when in fact the hardware has nothing to do with the Operating System except that it is used to run the OS. What PC hardware is to Windows, DirectX is to SWTOR.

Think i'll go tinker with SweetFX now, loved how it looks in ArchAge and Dragons Prophet, can't wait to see it in SWTOR!

SerraShar
04.01.2016 , 06:23 AM | #2
If this game is really doing great , they really could hire some peoples to moniores chat in games .

So many go bonker on the General chat...

breaking them rulez up there

KamikaziCain
04.01.2016 , 06:34 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
If this game is really doing great , they really could hire some peoples to moniores chat in games .

So many go bonker on the General chat...

breaking them rulez up there
I know, but it's not entirely unfunded, there are still people who sub, and some who are long time subs, I understand it costs money to make new content, but some volunteer work could assist the staff in cleaning up the general chat for sure.

dr_mike
04.01.2016 , 07:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by KamikaziCain View Post
So yes, you can use SweetFX and take solace knowing that you cannot, nor will ever, be punished for using it. I'm not trying to incite a riot, i'm not looking for a fight, i'm just making a point.
Google 'swtor unleashed' for a history about this.

I would suggest not discussing it here.
Who knows what lurks in the minds of those crazy Sith....
1% gets donated to unemployed Jawas living on Hoth

AylaL
04.01.2016 , 11:23 AM | #5
I had also wondered about the TOS particularly with a certain patch that can make your character well......different so to speak. Asked about this on the ea swtor forum and was given the exact same excerpts from the TOS. No i won't be linking the patch here for obvious reasons.

Wouldn't be surprised if this post got deleted even though i'm NOT advocating any violations of the rules etc.

KamikaziCain
04.01.2016 , 06:38 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AylaL View Post
I had also wondered about the TOS particularly with a certain patch that can make your character well......different so to speak. Asked about this on the ea swtor forum and was given the exact same excerpts from the TOS. No i won't be linking the patch here for obvious reasons.

Wouldn't be surprised if this post got deleted even though i'm NOT advocating any violations of the rules etc.
If you're talking about the same patch i'm thinking of then yes that actually does alter the content files, the actual data that is compiled into the archives that is used by the game, made for the game. THAT is a clear violation.

Quote: Originally Posted by dr_mike View Post
Google 'swtor unleashed' for a history about this.

I would suggest not discussing it here.
That technically is altering the actual game files too, however it is a gray area based on the fact that it is just moving the files into a RAMdrive rather than decompiling and recompiling differences. Additionally, SWTOR Unleashed would be the same as installing SWTOR on a RAMdrive, if you want the faster loads, use a RAID 0 or get an SSD, or setup a RAMdrive, but you'd need over 30GB of RAM.

AylaL
04.01.2016 , 08:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KamikaziCain View Post
If you're talking about the same patch i'm thinking of then yes that actually does alter the content files, the actual data that is compiled into the archives that is used by the game, made for the game. THAT is a clear violation.

That technically is altering the actual game files too, however it is a gray area based on the fact that it is just moving the files into a RAMdrive rather than decompiling and recompiling differences. Additionally, SWTOR Unleashed would be the same as installing SWTOR on a RAMdrive, if you want the faster loads, use a RAID 0 or get an SSD, or setup a RAMdrive, but you'd need over 30GB of RAM.
Insofar as CHANGING your characters clothing yeah.