Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A PvP a Day...

jrwellworth
07.22.2014 , 07:28 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by TwoLekku View Post
My two cents = it depends. What implants/earpieces are you using now vs. what gloves are you using now? I only ask because some pve gear is bolstered better than others. Personallly I'd get whatever Obroan item is the next biggest upgrade for you, but first i need an idea of what you would be poised to replace.

Hello. To answer your question my current left side is a Black Market menders earpiece, and implants are two arkanian mk-x. Also an obroan relic of the SA and the FR. My glove is from a 168 UW token but has, I believe a 180 enhancement from the sentinels pants. I hope that answers your questions, and none of my pvp gear is augmented yet, that will take a bit of time. I am almost done augmenting my PvE set, so pvp is next. Thanks for the time and advice
Sandari-65 (kinetic combat) +more <Aeternium Ascension> Dread Slayer

SHADOWLANDS

DomiSotto
07.23.2014 , 07:20 AM | #122
TwoLekku, thank you for the insight. I think I will disable the cover bar and try it that way, because yes, I find it frustrating as well. The biggest crits I saw on my slinger run in 3800 range, not yet going over 4000. My gear is still lagging behind, but I am working in it.

TwoLekku
07.23.2014 , 10:33 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by jrwellworth View Post
Hello. To answer your question my current left side is a Black Market menders earpiece, and implants are two arkanian mk-x. Also an obroan relic of the SA and the FR. My glove is from a 168 UW token but has, I believe a 180 enhancement from the sentinels pants. I hope that answers your questions, and none of my pvp gear is augmented yet, that will take a bit of time. I am almost done augmenting my PvE set, so pvp is next. Thanks for the time and advice
If it were me, JR, I'd do the gloves first. Their PVE rating is high enough that you're taking a bit of a bolster hit, more so than the ear and implants, IMHO. Honestly, you can get a cheap pair of blue Microfilament implants (you know, the kind that often drop during HM flashpoints) and get full bolster with nearly identical stats as Obroan, I usually save my earpiece and implants for last because of that bolster trick. Still, the arkanians aren't hurting you as badly as your gloves if i'm doing the math in my head correctly.

For more detail on pve gear and bolster, I highly recommend the "how to become a contender" sticky post on the front page of this very pvp forum. Some folks went to great lengths to figure out the best way to get by with pve gear while still building one's pvp set. It helped me a lot.

TwoLekku
07.23.2014 , 10:44 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
TwoLekku, thank you for the insight. I think I will disable the cover bar and try it that way, because yes, I find it frustrating as well. The biggest crits I saw on my slinger run in 3800 range, not yet going over 4000. My gear is still lagging behind, but I am working in it.
Hmmm...well, if you're not lvl 55 yet, you don't need to worry too much about gear. Pre-55, bolster should be more or less leveling the playing field as long as your gear is good enough for you to handle your class missions and level-appropriate flashpoints and such.

Once you're level 55, i can't recommend this thread enough. It really is possible to cobble together a non-gimped pvp starter outfit out of the right pve gear, often from old mods and things that a lot of us have laying around after hundreds of flashpoints and SM ops and such.

nrevox
07.23.2014 , 12:15 PM | #125
Yes, just have fun. Even in death/defeat. I used to record my matches and go back and watch them to see where I made mistakes. It was good to see the action after the stress and adrenaline was over. For some reason I would laugh a lot when seeing bodies flying and getting crushed on the vids too ... especially mine. haha

cheers and good luck

nrevox
07.23.2014 , 12:55 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by jrwellworth View Post
A PVP A DAY-
DAY-2
MATCH-#1
TOON- San'dari
LEVEL 52 SCOUNDREL (Not augmented lvl 50 campaign gear 4pc. set bonus, rating 146, left side looking bad also)

OK, i got the one for today out of the way early today. It was an AHG, and I was back-fill. Our group comp was all dps and one healer (me). I'm not sure who we lost or why, I didn't ask or even have time to say my usual "Hey I'm new to pvp but I will do my best" statement. I popped into stealth and ran to middle cause in chat the lead was saying people needed to grab the damn orbs and forget the death-matching. We were behind by quite a bit. As I got mid a guy close to me was getting burst so I threw kolto cloud and a UW medicine. I then started to srmp the folks by me when they must have noticed I was a healer, cause the two closest imps to me peeled (?) and started to focus me. Two jugs. Inb4 usually I'm a fan of two juggs. I tried to scamper away after kolto cloud on myself and got stuck and killed before I could break the stun and stealth out.

I won't give a play by play but here is a couple things I was unclear about. The other team had me marked I'm sure, as I was targeted pretty fast when ever I'd pop up, even in chat the leader said "man they are focusing the healer pretty hard". Now we didn't have a tank, so what was a reasonable expectation for my group, cause I received what seemed like no help at all. Now my heals for the match were about 200k, but numbers on a scoreboard, from what I've red here don't paint an accurate picture of my overall contribution to the group.

This brings me to my second question. As the matches only healer, was I right to stay mid when everyone in the match was either mid themselves or at our node guarding or dropping off orbs? Also while I was mid, I did a bit of off dpsing. I threw a xs-fly by on imps grabbing orbs to interrupt them, threw some grenades, and some charged blasts. Also some flash-bangs. Should I shy away from that? Should I have grabbed an orb to run to my node?

Also, I know pvp is on the move, and only a terrible enemy team will let me just free cast. But it seems I have to set up shop sometimes to throw my big heals, but like I said this group had me focused pretty much every time I showed my face, so should I be focusing on my hots and try to stay on the move, only stopping to do my casted heals every once and awhile. For some reason that does not seem right to me, as I have to focus on more then one person and most of them seem to be in need of big heals if I am just getting there from spawn or something. Yes I back-load heals and have key-binds but kudos to you dudes that can do the whole mouse running/turning thing, cause that ***** is hard. I will be trying to incorporate that into stuff as time goes on.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, but people seem to like this thread, and the op and I are the only two committed to "A pvp a day" so I figured since we're gonna report back every day, might as well give the community something to critique. That way we can receive advice and tips along our reports and we can see how long we can keep this thread going, and gauge the progress the both of us are making. Like an experiment. Anyway that's all for me, my son's cranky and wants his nap NOW!!

Well kudos for hanging in there as the only healer. haha

That is simply the risk you take as a healer though. I usually try my best to harass the healers. I have chased some REALLY good ones too (which is sometimes frustrating lol) But, even if I can't kill them, I try to at least keep them occupied instead of allowing them to sit there spamming heals on his/her group.

I suggest you stay with the larger group. You have a greater chance of a teammate picking up on the guy harassing/targeting you. Some may disagree, but I have a tougher time getting to the healer if they have a designated protector. Just try asking a teammate see if they would just keep an eye out for you while you heal. Sometimes they are happy to do that. If I heal a wz, I usually stay/follow the player who is doing the most destruction to the other team and try to keep them in the game. Just my thoughts on it.

cheers

jrwellworth
07.24.2014 , 10:48 AM | #127
A PVP A DAY
SAND'ARI
LEVEL 55
SAWBONES SCOUNDREL

GREE EDITION

Now I won't make this long as I am short on time, but gree is back and I am having a sht ton of fun killing and getting killed all over the western ice shelf. Also the tears warm my bed at night. This is the first gree where I have had pvp gear and an inclination to have me some fun. Using the new skills I have acquired I am holding my own and getting in some good ones. I have also been mercilessly killed over and over and over by roving bands. It is truly fun once you can accept that pvp area is for pvp and free for all really does mean free for all, not just kill the opposite faction or just kill other people doing pvp, but everyone, orb carriers especially. There is achievo's to be had and titles to be won. I will be back on later with some stories, but for now it's dad time.

SHADOWLANDS

DomiSotto
07.25.2014 , 06:43 AM | #128
Wow, that's a no mean feat. I've never done Gree before, or the open world. RESPECT!

We are still on the road so no PvP still & will be off the grid after tomorrow (in-laws! The day they get internet will be the day....)

jrwellworth
07.26.2014 , 09:45 AM | #129
I am also sorry for my absence, I will report today on all the Gree mischief and fun I have been having.

SHADOWLANDS

jrwellworth
07.28.2014 , 02:03 PM | #130
A PVP A DAY: Relics of the Gree edition
Sand'ari
Level 55
Sawbones Scoundrel
Gearing: 4pc Obroan set bonus (head, chest, legs, pants) Obroan MH and 2 relics, unaugmented

Greetings all, I have not posted all week really, I was super busy with RL issues, family stuff, etc... but I did manage to log on to do my gree dailies in the evenings that I did not have progression. As I think I said before, this gree was the first one where I had a toon with pvp gear and it happened around the time I am getting to like pvp.

Now with that said, open world pvp is so different then a war-zone or an arena, the unknown factor is so huge. I was in the pvp area trying to "gank" orb carriers, and saw a merc in healing cell. Now I am a scoundrel healer so I don't do huge damage and figured that this would either be easy or a good fight. Well, to my surprise, when I came out of stealth and attacked, two sins and an op popped out of stealth and laid waste to my dumb arse, lol. Another time I brought some friends into the node whilst I had the orb, and when I was interrupted the first time, we attacked and the orb helped kill. This was in addition to the many little ambushes or 1 on 1's that found their way to me as I went about my dailies. Some I won and some I didn't. I must say though that I had a blast this week and it was cool to look at gree in a whole new way.

Now without wanting to start an argument, I want to say that I also found a different outlook on all the gen chat QQ. While in the free for all area I attacked pubs and imps, got attacked by pubs and imps and had a blast.. After one instance of killing an orb carrier, a jedi, I was whispered for a half hour about what a piece of sht I was for "ganking" my own faction. I wanted to feel bad but I couldn't. I used to think the exact same, my first Gree event. "how dare these griefers attack me on my daily run, I just wanna do my missions" I see now that I don't have to go into the pvp area at all, and my second and third gree I didn't and still made legend. I also see that if I go into that area I have no right to be mad at anyone but myself if I get killed in a player versus player attack by anyone.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent. Now during the event, fighting one on one while flagged doing missions in the regular area, it really seemed I got killed a rather lot more then I killed. Now I know being a scoundrel healer I'm not supposed to be a dps but can anyone share some advice on how to maybe level the field a bit. I used my defense screen, HoT's, my stun to get behind to use back blast, even XS-fly by. Sometimes, even in mostly pvp gear I was getting pwnd by peoples companions as much as them. I guess maybe the comp was wearing pvp gear? My own Corso Riggs is in mostly 180 pve tank gear, which is kinda worthless in those situations.

In closing I will say again that I had a blast this Gree, I wanna thank the folks who support this thread and give advice, as it's helped me look at things in a new way. The rumor is that the Rak plague is about to spread to a planet near you, and I can't wait for some more of that wild kill or be killed sht. It is back to war-zones tomorrow, so my reporting will go back to normal, but I will only have time for a few matches a day, as I am also devoting time to the test server to see what I need to stock up on to make a the money, and to make my house cool. If anyone has any questions about that that they don't see in the pts forum, pm me. Be well all. Until tomorrow

SHADOWLANDS