BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

how hilarious would it be if they just went and made TM/GR and PS/CB instant? least amount of work for the largest buff.

Yeah seriously. I'd be personally hunting down some smash monkeys and PTs with a big score to settle. A huge cheesey grin on my face :p

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered... why don't we have a range slow / root (e.g. leg-shot) ability? :rak_02:

The only problem I see, is that we cannot kite due to the lack of a slow ability.

If I could slow someone from 15m range then when they reach me I can knock them back.

They then have the choice to disengage or use their cooldowns to reach me again.

This would give me a small window to do a little more damage than before.

Simple to implement, not overpowering, and fits the Star Wars theme.

I always wondered... why don't we have a range slow / root (e.g. leg-shot) ability? :rak_02:

The only problem I see, is that we cannot kite due to the lack of a slow ability.

If I could slow someone from 15m range then when they reach me I can knock them back.

They then have the choice to disengage or use their cooldowns to reach me again.

This would give me a small window to do a little more damage than before.

Simple to implement, not overpowering, and fits the Star Wars theme.

We actually do have one, it's called Cover Fire and it's in the Gunnery Tree. Assault has one as well that is linked to Sweltering Heat.

For the Gunnery one, it is almost useless since most melee types have a way to instantly close the gap between you and them. Using it also causes you to stand still and actually channel your Full Auto and that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to kite.

For Assault, the commando has no reliable way to apply its effects, unlike their Vanguard cousin.

We actually do have one, it's called Cover Fire and it's in the Gunnery Tree. Assault has one as well that is linked to Sweltering Heat.

Exactly! i.e. We don't have slow abilities for kiting.

Fire is linked to Full Auto, which means you are not kiting....

Sweltering heat is so unreliable its impossible to kite anything.

My Scoundrel has something called "Tendon Blast", which applies 50% speed reduction for 12s.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/hr9h3Qg/tendon-blast

Albeit it's only 10m range, but why shouldn't Commandos have this at least?

Slingers have cover to prevent leaps and interrupts.

Shouldn't we at least have a slow so we could kite and fight?

Sure they can spend their leap, in that case we have concussion blow to push them back once at least.

page 3 is unaaceptable. especially, after that stupid OW marauder video.

Class balance in MMOs with PvP is always a hot topic – how do you and your team approach it?

Lots of feedback from players, lots of theorycrafting, and a lot of playtesting. We feel like for the most part our class balance is pretty good, but it will never be perfect. We will always strive for better balance and making the classes more enjoyable, though it is a never-ending process of improvement.

page 3 is unaaceptable. especially, after that stupid OW marauder video.

Class balance in MMOs with PvP is always a hot topic – how do you and your team approach it?

Lots of feedback from players, lots of theorycrafting, and a lot of playtesting. We feel like for the most part our class balance is pretty good, but it will never be perfect. We will always strive for better balance and making the classes more enjoyable, though it is a never-ending process of improvement.

ugh, that quote almost makes me want to drive to austin and gibbs-slap that man. almost....

Here are some of my personal achievements as a commando. Althought i dont necesarrily see anything wrong, i am on the same boat as you guys. Commando DPS in pvp, is subpar compared to every other class. NO defensive manuverabilty what so ever.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/ashaaleyxd/library/swtor

Its not DPS its manuverabilty.

try limit your abilities, eg on my Arsenal i use TM and unload as my ONLY cast/channel abilities, this frees me up to move around more. Try relying on HSM, sticky nade, rocket, rail shot and RAPID FIRE (heaps of players dont use this as much)

^

Commando DPS is fine.

It's their ability to have the slightest chance to survive wet noodle attacks that needs looking into.

No, even in high survivability environments like a static Voidstar (0-0), where death is rare, the top melee dps will score about 50% greater damage than a Merc dps. Sorc/Sage dps is about 25% higher. Even operative dps is about 10% higher. Merc dps damage output sucks at the top skill levels. And it has the lowest survivability. And the lowest utility.

Gunnery needs is a defensive cooldown which makes us immune to all forms of CC (including slows, roots, pulls and being jumped to) and interrupts.

Ekhm. It's called 'the sniper'. try one. unless using cover is to much.

But uncle Atramar, Sniper is to hard, to many buttons, cover sux, and I like my merc/commando since it's high dps 2 buttons (4 if you are pro and starfe).

Well Charlie, suck it up.

Edited by Atramar

But uncle Atramar, Sniper is to hard, to many buttons, cover sux, and I like my merc/commando since it's high dps 2 buttons (4 if you are pro and starfe).

Now now...the Sniper can share some of its toys

Edited by Mossesman

what kind of high DPS do you think youre getting with 2 abilities as a Merc? educate yourself please

you could use something that would proc an isntant shot once in a while, like we snipers have snap shot for instacast snipes.

and snipers are uninterruptable...AND snipers don't rely on TM stacks in order to reach full DPS potential...

AND snipers have jump immunity...

AND snipers have 4 CC abilities (instant).

having PS, TM, HSM being an instant cast, or even able to cast on the move will hardly make Merc OP.

personally, i think they shoud remove the movement restrictions on all abilities, EXCEPT snipers/GS in cover.

and snipers are uninterruptable...AND snipers don't rely on TM stacks in order to reach full DPS potential...

AND snipers have jump immunity...

AND snipers have 4 CC abilities (instant).

having PS, TM, HSM being an instant cast, or even able to cast on the move will hardly make Merc OP.

personally, i think they shoud remove the movement restrictions on all abilities, EXCEPT snipers/GS in cover.

TBH as someone who has both a sniper and a merc at 50 and have been working on a sage, I have often thought that sniper is awesome at 30-35m as a turret class. Why do we need 2 other classes that are 30m limit and also a turret, yet none of the benefits that cover gives. What if we had sage or merc or both, have 20-25m in trade off to be more mobile if not entirely mobile. I mean, there are leaps and slows and roots and stuns aplenty to where I don't think that would be a problem, and that would give classes a little more meaning than just a different way of doing essentially the same thing.