Lots of snipers and slingers... FOTM?

Icykill_

Noticing a lot more snipers and a lot less Mercs around... seems snipers are out numbering Mercs in most matches I’m in...

I jumped on mine today for two matches just to use my unassembled component before 5.6 and I was amazed at how tanky it was...

Considering I haven’t used my sniper for months... I was pretty rusty and I even had my keybindings wrong, so I had to click in that first arena... even then I nearly cracked 10mil :eek:... which I’ve never even come close to before...

I was rusty as hell... my keybinds weren’t set... I had 300ms lag... I made one stupid mistake after another... and I still didn’t die and I got the highest amount of damage I’ve ever gotten in this game...

The whole thing just seemed too easy and too forgiving... snipers are supposed to be one of the more challenging specs to master and certainly not forgiving if you make serious mistakes... now it feels like they are the new face roll class...

So what’s the deal... are they now the FOTM trash class?... I really hope not because it’s a good class... but something is fundamentally wrong with it being so tanky

Edited by Icykill_

Noticing a lot more snipers and a lot less Mercs around... seems snipers are out numbering Mercs in most matches I’m in...

I jumped on mine today for two matches just to use my unassembled component before 5.6 and I was amazed at how tanky it was...

Considering I haven’t used my sniper for months... I was pretty rusty and I even had my keybindings wrong, so I had to click in that first arena... even then I nearly cracked 10mil :eek:... which I’ve never even come close to before...

I was rusty as hell... my keybinds weren’t set... I had 300ms lag... I made one stupid mistake after another... and I still didn’t die and I got the highest amount of damage I’ve ever gotten in this game...

The whole thing just seemed too easy and too forgiving... snipers are supposed to be one of the more challenging specs to master and certainly not forgiving if you make serious mistakes... now it feels like they are the new face roll class...

So what’s the deal... are they now the FOTM trash class?... I really hope not because it’s a good class... but something is fundamentally wrong with it being so tanky

I am shocked that almost 1 year has passed and you discover this only now.

Yes, they are FOTM, sometimes even worse than mercs.

Expect to see more maras now too as most of the fotm players will likely jump that direction IMO. I see more of them than anything in most matches of late, by far.

Damnit... they better not...

My Sorc is so rubbish now and my Mara and Sniper are my two back up mains... with the sniper being the way they are now... I just don’t want to play it... if people flock to Mara’s it will make all three of my preferred mains unplayable in pvp for me...

I hate playing FOTM... it’s why I stopped playing my Merc in January... I tried to persevere all year with my Lightning Sorc... but they are now so bad since the balance... that it’s pointless...

I played my Fury Mara all year... even when everyone was telling me I should be playing carnage if I wanted to play a Mara...

I really hope you’re wrong Flop and they don’t become FOTM too...

FYI... I had a few games with you today on both my Jugg and Mara... they were good matches :D

Haven't you said you were quitting the game like numerous times?

It's like those cliché action series where you see the numerous but identical plot twist so much that you'll get used to it eventually :rolleyes:

Back to topic, yeah, for now the trinity is held by merc, mara and snipers. The rest is mainly skank and healers, along with the good ol' concealment operative.

Snipers are on the way to go from FOTM to simply good with the next patch, but merc and mara will still have a decent spot here on the list. For the rest, I think we'll see even less dps sin/PT/Jugg around, since they aren't exactly getting a buff this time.

But yeah, I think most of the fotm players will likely roll a fury marauder, due to the fact that most of the time it's stupid easy to play in pvp (just do like you do on guitar hero, click where it glow :D ) or will just stay on their merc, since it doesn't have that big of a nerf. :rolleyes:

It's like those cliché action series where you see the numerous but identical plot twist so much that you'll get used to it eventually :rolleyes:

Back to topic, yeah, for now the trinity is held by merc, mara and snipers. The rest is mainly skank and healers, along with the good ol' concealment operative.

Snipers are on the way to go from FOTM to simply good with the next patch, but merc and mara will still have a decent spot here on the list. For the rest, I think we'll see even less dps sin/PT/Jugg around, since they aren't exactly getting a buff this time.

But yeah, I think most of the fotm players will likely roll a fury marauder, due to the fact that most of the time it's stupid easy to play in pvp (just do like you do on guitar hero, click where it glow :D ) or will just stay on their merc, since it doesn't have that big of a nerf. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons we see more maras is becasue of the server merge..

And I don't think just rolling a mara is that simple. Roll a mara but with what gear ? Need to grind.

But yeah, as a marauder player, I think we are in a very good spot at the moment with all specs and soon with carnage too. Probably best moment for this class in a long time. but in solo ranked it's still hard to be marauder. We are better than 5.0, but a mistake will kill us in seconds while mr. Sniper and Merc can make many mistakes and get away. ;)

I made lots of mistakes lately.. Better que on rep where the pressure is minimal. ;)

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Damnit... they better not...

My Sorc is so rubbish now and my Mara and Sniper are my two back up mains... with the sniper being the way they are now... I just don’t want to play it... if people flock to Mara’s it will make all three of my preferred mains unplayable in pvp for me...

I hate playing FOTM... it’s why I stopped playing my Merc in January... I tried to persevere all year with my Lightning Sorc... but they are now so bad since the balance... that it’s pointless...

I played my Fury Mara all year... even when everyone was telling me I should be playing carnage if I wanted to play a Mara...

I really hope you’re wrong Flop and they don’t become FOTM too...

FYI... I had a few games with you today on both my Jugg and Mara... they were good matches :D

All I can say to that is look around you. In truth, they already are FOTM along with Mercs, perhaps ever moreso. I've only been back a month or two and in that time ive sen a huge shift to Mara/Sniper. Now that can of course be pure coincidence, but thats my observation

Pretty much still snipers and merc's as OP kings of the ring! Biofail can't seem to grasp the concept hey if I give a DPS spec that puts out huge DPS PLUS defenses comparable to a fricken tank this causes a HUGE imbalance. Just use some common fricken sense Either A.) SWTOR is going to adopt the standard trinity system i.e TANK|DPS|HEALS or B.) A combat role like guild wars uses.

Instead we get a hodge podge of classes a few of which are OP as hell. WHY DEVS WHY would you give merc's and snipers 2.5- 3 lives when these are suppose to be DPS burst classes! (psst for the GFS dev's that means glass cannons!) Either you put out huge DPS and are a glass cannon or your classification becomes a hybrid.If your a hybrid then you should be doing half the DPS because you have the survival of a pseudo tank! As usual the dev's have there little blinders on hoping the sever merge would solve all their woes. I'm guessing they were banking on a more people per sever meant a more diverse player base.

Problem is when you implement " I win classes" people tend to play them because they pretty much grant a win especially when the vast majority of players all start playing them. At minimum you get 2 snipers and 3 merc's now a days. The game as become a ridiculous joke, the grind for gear is lame as hell akin to a 2nd job and once geared you get to do grossly unbalanced pvp, topped off with a side of gimmicky replicating of stock boring @$! Items, garnished with a bit of sub-par flight sim that gets beat out in fun to play status by xwing vs tie fighter (A 20 year old flight sim!) It leaves the subscriber scratching his/her head asking WTH am I paying for!

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Pretty much still snipers and merc's as OP kings of the ring! Biofail can't seem to grasp the concept hey if I give a DPS spec that puts out huge DPS PLUS defenses comparable to a fricken tank this causes a HUGE imbalance. Just use some common fricken sense Either A.) SWTOR is going to adopt the standard trinity system i.e TANK|DPS|HEALS or B.) A combat role like guild wars uses.

Instead we get a hodge podge of classes a few of which are OP as hell. WHY DEVS WHY would you give merc's and snipers 2.5- 3 lives when these are suppose to be DPS burst classes! (psst for the GFS dev's that means glass cannons!) Either you put out huge DPS and are a glass cannon or your classification becomes a hybrid.If your a hybrid then you should be doing half the DPS because you have the survival of a pseudo tank! As usual the dev's have there little blinders on hoping the sever merge would solve all their woes. I'm guessing they were banking on a more people per sever meant a more diverse player base.

Problem is when you implement " I win classes" people tend to play them because they pretty much grant a win especially when the vast majority of players all start playing them. At minimum you get 2 snipers and 3 merc's now a days. The game as become a ridiculous joke, the grind for gear is lame as hell akin to a 2nd job and once geared you get to do grossly unbalanced pvp, topped off with a side of gimmicky replicating of stock boring @$! Items, garnished with a bit of sub-par flight sim that gets beat out in fun to play status by xwing vs tie fighter (A 20 year old flight sim!) It leaves the subscriber scratching his/her head asking WTH am I paying for!

To ignore Maras right now is disingenuous. There are easily as many Maras and Skank Juggs as Mercs and snipers

I am so sick of people whining about snipers, and especially putting them in a same category with Mercs.

1. Playing a sniper successfully, especially in solo ranked or any ranked match, requires considerable skill.

2. Snipers don't have heal to full capabilities, healing from ballistic shield, will never save you when focused, trust me, i know, healing from that utility will be reduced x3 times.

3. There is no heal to full utilities like mercs have with kolto overload, or healing when energy shield collapses

4. Sniper has no reflect and heal to full

5. Sniper can't run around and melt your face off while healing themselves with utilities, abilities and offheals

6. When focused, merc can just run away, and heal heal heal heal

7. Wen focused, sniper is easily shot down, by burning through defenses really fast, not reflecting, no healing to full.

8. Snipers damage is nowhere near of the damage that an Arsenal merc can put out.

9. Shield probe, doesn't protect ****, one medium hit, and it's gone, evasion lasts maximum of 5 seconds

10. Imperial preparation, while useful, considering total crap of shield probe and short evasion, will be used off quickly when focused.

11. When you have net on, with two or 3 mercs on opposing team, you are a sitting duck for them to shoot you.

I play Sniper regularly (i main it), I also play my merc sometimes, and trust me, you play Sniper when you want a challenge, you play a merc, when you want to run around and shoot ****, with little consequence.

And, i think that we are in agreement, that mercs are untouchable in solo ranked, even a **** merc is left alone as with little brain, it takes very long time to kill and it is simply easier to focus down the poor jugg or net the **** out of a sorc, killing it in a process.

Edited by AlCorazon

To ignore Maras right now is disingenuous. There are easily as many Maras and Skank Juggs as Mercs and snipers

I agree, damage they put out hurts, and frankly i think that is the only class that can take down a merc, assuming equal skill situation.

And to be honest, on TRE idon't seethat many Snipers in ranked, maras and mercs, yes!

I am so sick of people whining about snipers, and especially putting them in a same category with Mercs.

1. Playing a sniper successfully, especially in solo ranked or any ranked match, requires considerable skill.

2. Snipers don't have heal to full capabilities, healing from ballistic shield, will never save you when focused, trust me, i know, healing from that utility will be reduced x3 times.

3. There is no heal to full utilities like mercs have with kolto overload, or healing when energy shield collapses

5. Sniper can't run around and melt your face off while healing themselves with utilities, abilities and offheals

7. Wen focused, sniper is easily shot down, by burning through defenses really fast, not reflecting, no healing to full.

8. Snipers damage is nowhere near of the damage that an Arsenal merc can put out.

9. Shield probe, doesn't protect ****, one medium hit, and it's gone, evasion lasts maximum of 5 seconds

10. Imperial preparation, while useful, considering total crap of shield probe and short evasion, will be used off quickly when focused.

11. When you have net on, with two or 3 mercs on opposing team, you are a sitting duck for them to shoot you.

I play Sniper regularly (i main it), I also play my merc sometimes, and trust me, you play Sniper when you want a challenge, you play a merc, when you want to run around and shoot ****, with little consequence.

And, i think that we are in agreement, that mercs are untouchable in solo ranked, even a **** merc is left alone as with little brain, it takes very long time to kill and it is simply easier to focus down the poor jugg or net the **** out of a sorc, killing it in a process.

snipers have a range advantage over mercs not to mention i see them out damage mercs often. imo they also have better mobility then mercs.

also excess of any class in pvp is going to be annoying unless it's sorc/sages since they are easy to deal with.

i agree with this post i think sniper is much much harder than merc , i play both and it is much more difficult for sniper to survive focus compare to merc

snipers have a range advantage over mercs not to mention i see them out damage mercs often. imo they also have better mobility then mercs.

also excess of any class in pvp is going to be annoying unless it's sorc/sages since they are easy to deal with.

in arena where the area is small the distance advantage dont matter ,and it didnt have more mobily than merc , since you need to sit in cover most of the time

It is pretty obvious why they are fotm lol. After all recent dps nerfs snipers defenses remained almost untouched. In addition to this dot sorc and dot sins which are pretty good in killing snipers arent very popular now due to their condition which means that snipers dont have anti-specs to kill them.

Swtors balance RIP since 5.0.