New to MMO's

Talon_Starfire

It really depends on play style, and seeing as you said you're new, it's best to give both a try.

Or if you're still leveling from 1-10 do you find yourself using force lightning and standing at distances from your enemy, or do you end up using thrash and staying within melee range of your enemies?

Go from there, would you like to stay within melee range of your enemies, and have stealth abilities to get that better chance of attacking someone unseen or would you like to stay at greater distances and generally channel things?

Another thing to consider is that assassins have the option to tank, meaning they can live a little longer and protect people who heal them.

Sorcerers can have the option to heal, keeping your team alive, while also running away from people who will eventually target you.

Myself I have a tank assassin in gear intended for damage (not so much protecting). This helps with surviving longer and also doing a good amount of damage.

It really depends on play style, and seeing as you said you're new, it's best to give both a try.

Or if you're still leveling from 1-10 do you find yourself using force lightning and standing at distances from your enemy, or do you end up using thrash and staying within melee range of your enemies?

Go from there, would you like to stay within melee range of your enemies, and have stealth abilities to get that better chance of attacking someone unseen or would you like to stay at greater distances and generally channel things?

Another thing to consider is that assassins have the option to tank, meaning they can live a little longer and protect people who heal them.

Sorcerers can have the option to heal, keeping your team alive, while also running away from people who will eventually target you.

Myself I have a tank assassin in gear intended for damage (not so much protecting). This helps with surviving longer and also doing a good amount of damage.

I really like Force Lightning but inevitetably get charged and have to Thrash I'm used to tanking but don't mind variety.

Which do people find is easier to play Sorcerer or Assassin?

Thanks

The real question that you want to ask is more if you want to play as a ranged class or a melee class.

The Sorcerer is a ranged DPS via Force abilities with the option to heal, while the Assassin is a melee DPS with the option to Tank. Neither is really 'easier' it's just about how you want to play your character and what you want to do with it in the endgame content.

Edited by Sivar

I really like Force Lightning but inevitetably get charged and have to Thrash I'm used to tanking but don't mind variety.

Once you're level 50 as a Sorc, you'll have a number of slows, pushbacks and stuns to help prevent a melee class attacking you. The far right tree (madness) also helps with DoTing (damage over time) which means even when you're not attacking, your opponent will be damaged by your attacks. This helps if you need to run away from them a lot not allowing them to be able to attack you.

Edited by MasterFeign

Once you're level 50 as a Sorc, you'll have a number of slows, pushbacks and stuns to help prevent a melee class attacking you. The far right tree (madness) also helps with DoTing (damage over time) which means even when you're not attacking, your opponent will be damaged by your attacks. This helps if you need to run away from them a lot not allowing them to be able to attack you.

K thanks, Is Mad Maul as good as full deception for the Assassin?

Thanks

I prefer the Shinrika build (or something similar). I don't try to set up for maul as it's a bit annoying, but I do use it only if I get the 10% crit damage and 30% maul damage buff per the deception and madness tree. Plus once I'm done min maxing (getting the best mods in my gear) I will do enough damage with thrash and shock. If you use maul incorrectly you end up loosing a lot of force.

It's a very fun build though, once properlly geared, you'll get a lot of the survivability of a tank geared assassin (I mean most people use tech/force attacks) and most of the dps of a full deception assassin.

As for pure deception, you do get much higher attacks, but you're survivability is also quite terrible.

The ratio for survivability vs. damage is quite a lot better as a tank specced dpsing wearing assassin anyway.

Standard Madness builds do a little less DPS than deception, I believe. However, playstyle can negate that sort of thing. I believe it's also easier for a sorc madness to unleash their dots easier to hit players harder.

If you have a really good healer on your team, having full deception is useful, otherwise, I'd still stick with the afformentioned build (23/1/17) though. Essentially what I'm aiming for is like having mini smashes but not having to wait under 12 seconds per smash, and also having some self heals to increase a bit of survivability.

Standard Madness builds do a little less DPS than deception, I believe. However, playstyle can negate that sort of thing. I believe it's also easier for a sorc madness to unleash their dots easier to hit players harder.

If you have a really good healer on your team, having full deception is useful, otherwise, I'd still stick with the afformentioned build (23/1/17) though. Essentially what I'm aiming for is like having mini smashes but not having to wait under 12 seconds per smash, and also having some self heals to increase a bit of survivability.

Is the 23/1/17 good for levelling?

Is this a good spec for levelling & PvP?

Thanks

How is Wrath compared to Raze?

Thanks

I'm not disagreeing but why stay out of Darkness?

Thanks

lightning reflexes and lightning recovery are only good if you have a shield (at best) or are using dark ward (for increased shield chance and by proxy a better chance to use both the previous stated passive moves.

However, what I intend to do for endgame is use a shield generator but put dps related mods into them and spec into some of those abilities. Part of the reason is I have no choice though, but I'll still get good damage out.

lightning reflexes and lightning recovery are only good if you have a shield (at best) or are using dark ward (for increased shield chance and by proxy a better chance to use both the previous stated passive moves.

However, what I intend to do for endgame is use a shield generator but put dps related mods into them and spec into some of those abilities. Part of the reason is I have no choice though, but I'll still get good damage out.

I think I settled on Assassin but is Madness Thrash better than Voltaic Slash?

Thanks

I do enjoy tanking and I've done it before just not in a MMO & Madness seems cool so which tree do you advise?

Thanks

I do enjoy tanking and I've done it before just not in a MMO & Madness seems cool so which tree do you advise?

Thanks

I've only tried deception when the game was quite new, I switched to darkness fairly early on. Deception has good bursty damage but not the best survivability.

Madness is great for stopping caps and has medium survivability. You just have to keep up on using the DoTs.

I'd still recommend Madness though, as it was fun on my sage (the mirror class), and I bet can be translated quite well as an assassin.

I've only tried deception when the game was quite new, I switched to darkness fairly early on. Deception has good bursty damage but not the best survivability.

Madness is great for stopping caps and has medium survivability. You just have to keep up on using the DoTs.

I'd still recommend Madness though, as it was fun on my sage (the mirror class), and I bet can be translated quite well as an assassin.

Thanks, Do you use Spike a lot?

Thanks again.

In the darkness tree, I can use it out of stealth every 30 seconds (20 if you have 2 pieces of survivor gear), and it is useful. As for madness, it may use a bit of force (not so much in deception of you spec for the stealth force regen skill). But I think I'd use the instant whirlwind and mind trap combo to lock someone out while capping something.

In the darkness tree, I can use it out of stealth every 30 seconds (20 if you have 2 pieces of survivor gear), and it is useful. As for madness, it may use a bit of force (not so much in deception of you spec for the stealth force regen skill). But I think I'd use the instant whirlwind and mind trap combo to lock someone out while capping something.
What about a Darkness / Madness hybrid?

Thanks

What about a Darkness / Madness hybrid?

Thanks

That's what I'm running right now. As I see it you, with min maxed gear and whatnot, you get 85% of the damage, yet probably 300% of the survivability of the deception spec. I might be exaggerating a little, but it's a noticeable difference.