Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The portrayal of the Sith: Wasted potential

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The portrayal of the Sith: Wasted potential

Xqirrel
08.13.2018 , 10:37 AM | #1
Yo guys, this is my first post on the forums, so be gentle

I recently started playing the SW story, and the way my character developed led me to realize how much potential is constantly being wasted in how the Sith, and the dark side in general, is portrayed in Star Wars.

My Sith is not some crazy, charicature, she is not some lunatic that goes around killing puppies - she basically is Daenerys Targaryen, just evil

Imagine a world where the Sith are not constantly portrayed as this ridiculous, over the top interpretation of space Nazis - instead they are the powerful, merciless rulers of a powerful, authoritarian interstellar empire, almost worshipped like demigods by their subjects.

Which villain actually portrays themselves as evil? Nobody does, including the Sith! The sith don't see themselves as evil, in their minds they are the good guys - and the Jedi are nothing but a perversion of nature, an affront to the natural order.

When i think of a sith lord in my head i don't think of Darth Sidious, or Snoke - I'm thinking of Tywin Lannister, of Julius Caesar, of Darken Rahl (if anybody read the sword of truth)!

I actually think that is what they tried to do with Valkorion - who is a better, and more intimidating Sith that Vitiate ever was, imo!
I'm tired of the same, rehearsed version of space Nazis in every new Star Wars film - who in their right mind would actually fight for these idiots?

Disclaimer: this post has no point, i just was bored and felt like rambling

Mubrak
08.13.2018 , 01:08 PM | #2
if you don't want to play a ridiculous, over the top interpretation of a space Nazi, then don't choose dark side all the time. It's not necessary to torture Vette, and you relying on a device to keep your slave in check could actually be seen as a weakness. Don't break Jaesa by slaughering everyone she ever knew, you can turn her to the dark side just by showing her the hypocrisy of the Jedi.

Of course she then will still turn into a carricature of a Sith which is how she was taught a Sith would behave. Aside from the one you create, there aren't many moustache twirling villains among the Sith ingame, someone who poses a danger to society won't last long in a place where it's perfectly acceptable to execute troublemakers on the spot.

Vitiate is an exception among the Sith, most Sith wouldn't want to be the god of a dead galaxy. Sure, some would love being a god, but not without worshippers. Once they find out someone plans to destroy the galaxy to become a god, the Sith will stop at nothing to hunt him down, not even at allying with Jedi.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

OldVengeance
08.13.2018 , 01:54 PM | #3
People fought for the actual Nazis in real life. Sith aren't that ridiculous. Besides, its not as if Game of Thrones doesn't have it's own share of "puppy kicking" characters.

Xqirrel
08.13.2018 , 03:06 PM | #4
I know, which is exactly what i'm doing, it actually is a lot more fun to stay "in character", and thinking about a specific personality that you want to portray!

It's less about gameplay, i actually think SWTOR does a decent job in that regard, its more a point relating to visual design and athmosphere, and its actually far worse in the movies imo. Just look at Darth Sidious: he is a deranged, petty, giggling parody of a villain. You know that episode of Rebels where the Emperor talks to Ezra through his hologram? He looks like a benevolent, wise, powerful figure, not like some charicature straight out of a Tolkien movie. He seems almost diabolical, and - i a way - way "scarier" than the actual guy.
The Nazis were ****ed up, yes, but they didn't portray themselves this way! Thats why people got brainwashed, and believed that they actually were doing the right thing!

You know the movie "Jupiter Ascended"? Imagine that movie as a Star Wars movie, with the "Entitled" as Sith Lords.

Then compare that to the First Order, which is just a collection of edgy, angry kids, running around laughing maniacally.
Have the Sith be more like the Klingons, or the Roman Empire, and less about "me dark side, me evil, muahaha"

I dunno, maybe i just have a vivid imagination

BlazeTomahawk
08.13.2018 , 04:35 PM | #5
This Sith are puppy kickers.

They ar ruled by their passions and whims.

They are not necessarily ‘evil’ , but they are impulsive and have no filter. Imagine a 6 year old with unlimited power. That is a Sith.

Any Sith that is calculated and conniving is denying his passion
Jedi are only allowed to use email if there are no attachments

Torakenat
08.13.2018 , 05:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazeTomahawk View Post
This Sith are puppy kickers.

They ar ruled by their passions and whims.

They are not necessarily ‘evil’ , but they are impulsive and have no filter. Imagine a 6 year old with unlimited power. That is a Sith.

Any Sith that is calculated and conniving is denying his passion
I would argue that Darth Bane never once denied his passions, yet he didn't kick puppies and was very very calculating.
NSF
Noghri Strike Force

If I die before I wake, I pray the Noghri Order my soul to take.

FlameYOL
08.14.2018 , 07:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Torakenat View Post
I would argue that Darth Bane never once denied his passions, yet he didn't kick puppies and was very very calculating.
Pretty much. The Sith aren't always puppy kicking lunatics, although it is the stereotype many Sith portray themselves as. This game has lots of examples of Sith who aren't that stereotype,Darth Vowrawn, Darth Malgus, Darth Marr, Empress Acina, Lana Beniko and even to an extent Darth Jadus I would say.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

OldVengeance
08.14.2018 , 12:08 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Torakenat View Post
Didn't he murder children in front of their parents? That's usually the type of thing that "puppy kicking" is a euphemism for.

Torakenat
08.15.2018 , 11:51 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
Didn't he murder children in front of their parents? That's usually the type of thing that "puppy kicking" is a euphemism for.
Darth Bane followed and taught the mantra that you kill only when it is necessary or beneficial to the sith. Not whimsical like kicking puppies as you stroll through the streets while whistling 'singing in the rain'.
NSF
Noghri Strike Force

If I die before I wake, I pray the Noghri Order my soul to take.

TalonVII
08.15.2018 , 07:03 PM | #10
Look at Malgus. He didn't just kill on a whim. Many Sith are just mustang twirling bad guys. Sotme are quite methodical.

My Sith Warrior, he's much more Samurai in nature. He kills his enemies without remorse, but doesn't kill innocents who have taken no arms against him. He just doesn't see the point of it.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy