Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

alaurin
10.31.2020 , 05:02 PM | #6331
Sorry, it's been a busy week but at least I remembered the prompt only a day late! Happy writing......and Happy Halloween!!!

Week of October 30, 2020:

Haunted: Has your character ever encountered something otherworldly? Something they know they saw but can’t explain in a logical way? Or maybe they can--but the explanation rings hollow? What did they experience and what was it like? Does anyone believe them? Do they believe it? In our world things such as ghosts or hauntings are generally dismissed, but for your character, they might be accepted as valid explanations even if not technically “real.” Or they might be frighteningly, terrifyingly real.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

NO PANTS! Relaxing at home. Nothing planned, nothing going on, nothing pending, no crises. No pants. What's that mean for your character? Is there any place or time when they can truly relax? Do they fantasize about relaxation while dashing between disasters? Are they stuck in the doldrums, praying for something--anything--to happen? Or do they take "no pants" more literally?

And Now, the Bad News: Something happened, and your character's not pleased about it. Did they lose a promotion or sale to a rival? Is a local landmark shutting or being torn down? Is a plant or animal they're particularly fond of in decline? Does an event confirm their pessimistic outlook, or crush their optimism? How did they find out? Are they shocked or resigned? No good news to soften the blow this time. Write about your character dealing with bad news.

Lady_Thorne
10.31.2020 , 09:47 PM | #6332
That was a fun little story. Note to my troopers: get rid of anything that would be kept of Tanno Vik's records. Dirty linen my trooper never asked for or wanted. (She wants her own younger brother, tyvm!)

You did a nice job with all the crewmembers - 4X was perfect.

Oh, and . . .
I LOVED your ending! Ha!

Jimcorpus
11.06.2020 , 09:04 PM | #6333
[QUOTE=alaurin;9892147]Sorry, it's been a busy week but at least I remembered the prompt only a day late! Happy writing......and Happy Halloween!!!

Week of October 30, 2020:

Haunted: Has your character ever encountered something otherworldly? Something they know they saw but can’t explain in a logical way? Or maybe they can--but the explanation rings hollow? What did they experience and what was it like? Does anyone believe them? Do they believe it? In our world things such as ghosts or hauntings are generally dismissed, but for your character, they might be accepted as valid explanations even if not technically “real.” Or they might be frighteningly, terrifyingly real.

The Trick and Treat

The Sith Lord walked calmly and confidence through the front door into the main entry way. Attired in her scanty slave outfit that glittered, mocking the Sith society by showing that a slave can rise to become a Darth, the Iridonian observed her surroundings. Lights on the walls that were a thousand years old fading with only a dim light, organic strings intertwined to each other on the walls that captured a few little creatures, the creaking of the covering for a window as it moved back and forth above her.

Finding information etched on a stone monument earlier in the day of a treasure of sparkly objects and information, the Sith came to the large manor with her slave Dashade. She preferred to call him her pet instead of slave, which infuriated him even more. Knowing full well the treasure was the bait for a trap, she hoped to spring this trap since there may very well be a different type of treasure on the other side of the trap. The Dashade was ordered to stay outside the door, which he was happy to do. He was not afraid of going in, but hoping his master would come to an unexpected early demise inside this ancient residence.

She went to the left of a main stairway that was in the middle of the entry way. The large sitting area that came to her view had elaborate and colorful furniture covered with a light layer of dust. A doorway was on the other side, but she preferred to see what was on the other side of the stairway. She traversed to the other side to see a dining area. No eating ware was on the large table. Eight seats surrounded the table that again had a light layer of dust.

The Sith saw a door on the far side of the table. She went around the table and chairs to the door, and had to manually open it since it did not have the power to move on its own. She walked into what appeared a food preparation room. There were ancient wooden cupboards on either side and a door at the far end. On a table on the other side of the room was a bowl filled with sparkly objects. Sugar cubes. Sugar cubes of different colors. She took a couple steps into the room then stopped, using the force to apply pressure to the floor in front of her. An intense beam of light came out of the ceiling into the floor, with heat she could easily feel in the air, knowing that would have burned through her body if she stepped on the floor in front of her.

Suddenly coming out of the door was a withered form of a human, holding onto a lighted red lightsaber, coming at the Sith while two Kowakian monkey lizards came out of the cupboards to the sides. With ease she brought up her lightsaber, activating the crimson blade to easily deflect the blade of the dried up entity coming at her, then quickly grabbing the necks of the lizards. The withered form was hoping to kill her, causing fear so she would be standing there in shock to be slain. How wrong he was.

She smiled at him, then the last thing that he saw was her eyes turning bright purple, and bolts upon bolts of purple lighting streaking across the room all the while he and the Kowakian lizards screamed in agony. After numerous seconds she stopped, the withered man and lizards now burned crisps on the floor. She looked beside the table and saw some bodies on the floor, some dead for a brief time and others for a long time. Numerous pieces were missing from each of the bodies. “Seems the host like to have his guests as a cuisine” she surmised to herself. She saw beside the bowl on the table a datapad.

Flipping through the different information, she noticed numerous recipes for cooking different sentient life forms. “Boring” she said out loud as she eventually came to the end of those recipes and now viewed numerous recipes for non-meat dinners. Finally she came to the good stuff. Desserts! She smiled as her eyes briefly viewed a good amount of ways to cook tasty sweets.

The Darth grabbed the datapad and bowl, then proceeded back the way she came into the manor. She eventually came outside and walked leisurely to her Dashade pet. “Treasure was a bunch of recipes.”

“How stupid” the Dashade stated to the Darth. “I should devour you now for wasting so my time.”

She continued to leisurely walk by the Dashade, holding onto the bowl and datapad as she used the force to raise one sugar cube into the air. “Quiet. I do not have the time to spank you for your insolence.” She then with the tiniest of focus sent the sugar cube charging into the open mouth of the Dashade. The creature had a surprised look on his face as he tasted and ate the dessert.

She looked at some recipes on the datapad as they walked back to the village where her starship was waiting at the docking bay. “I could roast some Gand for you.”

“Too much of a dirt taste” the Dashade replied, remembering when he ate a Gand before.

“Here we go” the Darth replied as she kept one recipe on the datapad to observe. “This is definitely the dinner for you that must be tried. Baked Magic Fungus Dinner Bread.”

alaurin
11.09.2020 , 06:12 AM | #6334
Sorry everyone, I completely forgot to put up the new prompt Friday.......so here it is, still good just a little late.

Week of November 6, 2020:

Halfway There: There’s the beginning and the end, and somewhere in between is half. Halfway through their journey, halfway through their education, their training, their date, their game, or their patience. Or even halfway through their story. The newness wore off but the end isn’t quite in view. The middle doesn't have to be boring. Something has to connect the ends. Write a story where your character is halfway there.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Ordinary Heroes: Your character might be a hero in their own right, and they probably had many others to look up to. So who in their lives was a hero to them by being nothing other than themselves? Who did they admire as a person? Whose example did they hope to follow? Was it a relative who always accepted them, no questions asked? A shopkeeper who always had a kind word for everyone they met? A teacher who expected the best and wouldn’t take less--and who also helped students discover what their best looked like? Write a story involving an influence on your character’s character.

Friends to Lovers: This one is almost a given in many stories. Many people enjoy reading (or writing) a story where the characters find their friendship growing into something more intimate. Whether it's a coffee shop romance a super-slow-burn fic, write characters going from friends to lovers this week.

alaurin
11.14.2020 , 08:07 AM | #6335
Sorry for being a day late again but at least it's still the weekend...... Happy writing!!

Week of November 13, 2020:

Leave No One Behind: It’s a classic trope: one character is injured and tells the rest of the group to go on without them, but they refuse. Who’s injured--is it your character or a companion? Do they insist on being left, not taking no for an answer? Are they overridden by the group or the leader--or your character? Is the sacrifice really necessary or is it for dramatic effect? If it is necessary and the group refuses, how does that cause complications later? And how does the “saved” character deal with believing they’re the cause of the hardship, especially when they tried to prevent it?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!

Hurts so Good: Pain is supposed to be the body's signal to stop. Humans (and fictional species) often ignore it or even seek it out. Sure, sure, BSDM; look beyond the obvious. Think of hot foods--temperature hot or spicy hot, where the heat is a critical part of the enjoyment. An exercise program, where short-term muscle pain (not next day soreness) means you're doing it right. A good roller coaster, haunted house, or horror movie is supposed to cause anxiety or fear and all their attendant sensations, things we usually find unpleasant or painful. Write about your character seeking, enjoying, observing, declining, or railing against such an activity.

You're Invited - Last week we talked about the companions who don't make much sense on our crew. This week let's look at other characters. We meet many NPCs during the class stories, and only some of them get to join our crews. Who would you have brought if the game let you recruit anybody? What NPCs did your character connect with but had to leave behind? Did you headcanon them as companions anyway? These need not be from the class story. Pick anyone and write about why they’re on your personal version of your character’s crew.

Jimcorpus
11.15.2020 , 11:58 AM | #6336
[QUOTE=alaurin;9894738]Sorry for being a day late again but at least it's still the weekend...... Happy writing!!

Week of November 13, 2020:

Nothing to apologize for. You are the one doing this. Thank you very much!

alaurin
11.20.2020 , 06:21 PM | #6337
@Jimcorpus: Thanks . I just always feel bad when I get behind.

YAY, I'm actually on time this week!!! Happy Friday everyone!! Now for the prompt......happy writing!

Week of November 20, 2020:

Giving Up: No way! Your character would never give up! That’s what makes their struggle, their story, so good, right? But they do have to give up some things, don't they? If nothing else, a life that might not make a very interesting story, but a good life nonetheless. Maybe the essence of their story is giving up. Maybe they give up toxic beliefs and become a better person. Maybe they realize that the course they set out on isn’t going to work out the way they thought. Maybe they see that the person they’ve been pursuing romantically is never going to love them back. Write about a time when your character gave up--and it was good for both them and your story that they did.

Write a Theme: Star Wars is unusual in its almost universal appeal, and much of its success has been attributed to Lucas's incorporation of universal mythological themes in the story. Good stories (and modern myths) often have these kinds of themes tying the narrative together. The fall from grace, the epic journey, love conquers all, finding hidden treasures, discovering inner strength. What recurring themes weave through your character's stories? Sometimes these ideas aren’t obvious at the outset, but become so as you write or review previous stories. This week’s challenge: pick one specific to your character and write a story featuring it.

Laughing Fit- Humor is universal and yet also individual. What leaves one person in stitches falls flat for another for reasons of cultural or personal experience. Everyone’s funny bone is a little different. What about your characters? What makes them laugh? Do they have favorite comedians? Favorite parodies? Farce? There’s plenty of humor in everyday things as well. Maybe an amusing juxtaposition of events sets them off, a misspelled or misread sign, or a companion taking a pratfall. Write about a time when your character couldn’t stop laughing.

Shayddow
11.20.2020 , 08:28 PM | #6338
(You're Invited)
First attempt here, so be patient!.
(Liberties with my actual storyline: my Alderaan Stronghold is actually owned by my imperial agent for the server this character is on- I've taken a few liberties with the time-line, as the Alderaan stronghold appeared much later than I had done the planet storyline). The tale is told from her standpoint (she is a Dark Sider).

From the Diaries of a Sith Lord ..Nimrossa.
Sergeant Virne

I remember the first time we met. I was on Alderaan with Quinn at the behest of my then Master, Darth Baras.
I had been tasked to help the Thuls in combatting the Killik plague, when I encountered a pair of troopers, one a captain who seemed to be in a state of shell shock, and the other, one only ranked a Sergeant, but a Zabrak. A beautiful red Zabrak, like myself. He seemed the rather level-headed one of the pair. I was always on the lookout for personnel who were not only loyal but level-headed enough to protect my family estate. My father had been a Sith Pureblood, but my mother had been taken from the Idorian Jedi captured by the Sith. So in looks I was red like my father - but otherwise had totally Zabrak features, while the force was strong on both sides of my family.

When I reached the outpost to tell the Thul I had succeeded in my task, and killing many Killiks along the way, I pulled him aside. With the full authority of my position as the apprentice of Baras, I said... "I am requisitioning to my service the sergeant who was stationed by the Killik hives. I believe his name is Virne " The Thul seemed taken aback...

"The Zabrak? Why would you want one of those.. creatures?" I was wearing a mask which completely hid my features, as well as gloves, boots which had hidden the telltale signs of my species. I pulled it off, The Thul seemed to go pale, and even paler as I began force choking him. "Ahh.... forgive me, my lady..."

I pressed slightly harder, giving the Thul something to remember me by. He will remember me as long as my fist imprint remains on his throat. No Kolto tank will remove the mark, although it can relieve the injury, the scar remains.
I said... with particular emphasis... "Do Not Question your BETTERS again".

I told 2V-R8, who I had stationed at the door during my time off-ship, and HK-51 explicit orders to allow the Sergeant entrance the next day at my estate. "I tremble at your approach, mistress" said 2V-R8.

He showed up early for the appointment. Always a good sign. He bowed deeply. "How may I serve you, my Lord?" (Sith may be called Lady or Lord, I did not have a preferance in that regard, although at the time, I had not yet been made an official "lord", the non-Sith tended to address any Sith with the title).
I answered... "For now, I need you to keep guard on my estate. You may notice a resemblance to the Thul Castle. Unfortunately, they still have more military assets than I do. It will be your job to procure more staff, more ammunition, and more resources, and to train these troopers.".. I pointed to the Imperial troopers standing at the front entrance.

"I also need to keep the grounds free of killiks, except for their designated mounds. This is Vector, my cousin's husband... he will be visiting on occasion to keep the Killiks out of the main grounds. He is a joiner, so for any communications you need to have with them, consult with him. For me, I want them kept out of my sight at all times. "

"2V-R8 will be in charge of preparing meals, he will be under your command as well, so I want to make sure my troopers have nutritious meals... but I do NOT want them to get fat, lazy .. or.. overfed like my Master."
"Needless to say, If you repeat that last sentence... to anyone... you will be executed.".
He said. "Of course, my lord." Without missing a beat.
I said .."If you serve me well, I will see to it you are promoted, and there may be... other rewards as well." I winked at him, and slightly pulled at my robes. He blushed (yes, Zabraks can blush, although only other Zabraks can really tell).
As time went on, he Did get promoted, he did get "other rewards" (soon after Quinn betrayed me), and I gave him liberty to use the line about Darth Baras after I had executed that B*****d. And, although I never did have him serve aboard my ship, he serviced me well. Even better than Pierce. Zabrak really are the best lovers.
Shekkel,75 Nimrossa, 75 |Ebon Hawk
Shassella, 75 Barzella, 75 | Begeran
Adonnah, 75 Kydosh, 70 |Harbinger
Tashha, 75 Svgon, 75 and too many others to list here

alaurin
Today , 04:44 PM | #6339
Apologies for forgetting the prompt last week.....but you can have it now! I'll post this week's new prompt in a new post after this one. Have a wonderful weekend and happy writing!!

Week of November 27, 2020:

Now We Feast: While many celebrations involve food, there are some for which food is the center. The feast. The meal is the reason for the celebration and anything that comes with it--dancing, singing, telling stories--are just extra. When has your character attended a feast? What was it for? What foods were there? Which ones were special for the occasion and which were ordinary? Were they a guest, an attendant, one of the people preparing it, or the host? Maybe a combination? A feast doesn’t have to happen only on holidays. What is a barbecue or a lūʻau or a banquet if not primarily a feast?

Recurring Events: The rakghoul event is in full swing again. What other kinds of things happen to your character on a regular basis? Hyperdrive not working? Lightsaber lost? Ship stolen? Escape in the nick of time? Maybe something more prosaic, like problems with laundry. Give us a peek into one of those ongoing things your character deals with.

Exactly as Planned: Were there any quests--class or otherwise--that fit your character’s story perfectly? Maybe something happened during combat or while exploring. Flashpoints? Even a bug, glitch, or mistake can become part of your character’s story. How did that go down? Write a story about a canon event that really is part of your character’s personal canon.

alaurin
Today , 04:46 PM | #6340
And now for the current prompt!

Week of December 4, 2020:

I HATE This Song: We've had several prompts regarding music, most of them positive. How about that one song or genre your character can't stand? An ex's favorite song? The song that reminds them of a bad time in their life? The song that played over and over and over and over until they couldn't stand it? A song they mistake for one they enjoy and it disappoints them every time? A song that grated on them from the beginning and their opinion went downhill from there? Write a story about your character and the one (or perhaps several) pieces of music they absolutely hate.

So What Happens Now?: The day is saved, the villain defeated, great deeds done and everyone lived happily ever after. Write an episode of "after." It can be immediately following the action and dealing with the aftermath, or years later and long term consequences.

Tests and Examinations - Tests are almost as pervasive as credits: Jedi or Sith trials, ship or vehicle operator’s license, weapons certifications exams, advanced intelligence analysis, basic maths. What kind of tests has your character taken? Did she prepare well or wing it? Pass or fail? What about retakes? Write about your character getting through some of the various testing and certifications he’s encountered.