Class story orders?

Steelioh

Hi there.

I understand that everyone says " play the class you want, its up to you " but I was curious was draw to a certain question....

Is there a recommended order in which to do the class stories. I know they aren't all linked but I know some of them do tie in together and I'm looking for a way to get through EVERY class story in a way that best helps me understand the SWTOR background story.

I know this might seem like a stupid question but hey.... Don't ask, don't know right?

Thanks.

Edited by Steelioh

I believe Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight are more of the "main" stories. I would suggest starting with Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight simply because of how big of a role they play in the story (especially with the Emperor).

Btw, dark side Jedi>light side Jedi. With warrior, I believe dark side is best, but light side works as well.

Edited by Octoknightx

Hi there.

I understand that everyone says " play the class you want, its up to you " but I was curious was draw to a certain question....

Is there a recommended order in which to do the class stories. I know they aren't all linked but I know some of them do tie in together and I'm looking for a way to get through EVERY class story in a way that best helps me understand the SWTOR background story.

I know this might seem like a stupid question but hey.... Don't ask, don't know right?

Thanks.

It's not a stupid question. Plus anyhow there are no stupid quetions. There are stupid people that DON'T ASK but that's neither here nor there.

I can't recommend you any class order. Anything that I might say is immediately countered by an argument of a sort. If you start with Agent, every story following that will be just getting worse and worse. Not imo because I don't like Agent story anyhow(I fight directly not covertly tyvm!) but I can understand why people praise it. If you start with a Consular, that is a no go due to difficulty of encounters(REALLY NOT RECOMMENDED for new players!). Corellia for example has got 3 or 4 nightmare encounters. Maybe even more! It's difficult to say, but I'd say it goes like this:

1. Smuggler

2. Bounty Hunter

-------------------------

3. Inquisitor

4. Trooper

5. Consular

6. Warrior/Knight

7. Knight/Warrior

8. Agent

The first part is comprised of largely unaffiliated independent stories that only give you background flavour. Doesn't hurt that those two classes are very fun too. The second part comprises mostly of heavily faction oriented stories. I think that everyone here can agree that both of those are heavy on faction yes? The last part is the juicy part. Consular comes before Knight, that much is certain. Whether Warrior comes before Knight(or not) is open for discussion. I believe that Warrior was first. Agent actually fits nicely within the second bracket(much more than in the last), but due to nods, spoilers etc that have a way of showing themselves in his story, it is REALLY recommended to save it for the end. Not only that, but you get the cherry on top of the cake that way too! Not only are stories pretty logical when played in this way, the rise in difficulty of encounters is linear as well. Won't spoil, but Smuggler last boss is such a pushover(really, a random Deadeye Sniper was more difficult than him! Scratch that, a random Strong mob was more difficult than him!). Consular/Warrior/Knight all have fairly difficult encounters. Fairly being an euphemism at Consular's.

That's how much I can see. It could also go like this(Agent in bracket 2):

1. Smuggler

2. Bounty Hunter

3. Inquisitor

4. Trooper

5. Agent

6. Consular

7. Warrior/Knight

8. Knight/Warrior

edit: I agree that the Warrior and the Knight are main stories while other are merely background/lore. That's simply as it is.

Edited by Cuiwe

I too support doing agent last. I wouldn't recommend doing consular and trooper at the same time, as they're the weakest. So:

Smuggler-->BH: Background stories with few spoilers.

Trooper-->Inquisitor-->Consular: Faction centric stories that setup the next ones.

Knight-->Warrior: One of the key plot points in the warrior line comes from the equivalent knight point happening first.

Agent: Tons of references to the other stories, and in my opinion the best one overall. Enjoy.

Defiantly do IA LAST, after you do all the other stories and companion missions, the IA Chapter 3 really brings them all together and all of a sudden every thing about the other class lines becomes clear and seen in a whole new light.

• 1 month later...

Agent last for sure but Inquisitor is not before the Warrior like some suggested as the Inquisitor finals boss is alive at the end of the Warrior story. Knight is before the warrior for sure as well. Bounty Hunter is probably first or close to it due to what happens in it but Trooper is somewhere near the end with the Agent.

I could go in depth but that would be spoilers so...

Bounty Hunter

Jedi Consular

Jedi Knight

Sith Warrior

Sith Inquisitor

Trooper

Imperial Agent

Smuggler can go anywhere before the last one really... Probably between Hunter and Knight though.

Major spoilers

To clarify Thanaton is on a hologram when the Warrior beats Baras. He's probably broadcasting from Coreilla at the time. Trooper is the last Republic class I'd say due to the ending pretty much being taking back Coreilla by conquering the Bastion. Warrior comes right after Knight as you get a message saying so pretty much.

• 4 weeks later...

I think consular, or at least part of consular, might occur after knight.

Spoilers for knight and consular plots

after defeating one of the children of the emperor, the council master references a dark council member defecting as the source of their knowledge of what the children of the emperor are. This seems like a reference to Scourge defecting at the end of the knight's story.

Edited by GomurrTheAncient

I think consular, or at least part of consular, might occur after knight.

Spoilers for knight and consular plots

after defeating one of the children of the emperor, the council master references a dark council member defecting as the source of their knowledge of what the children of the emperor are. This seems like a reference to Scourge defecting at the end of the knight's story.

No Scourge was never on the Dark Council. Has to be someone else, maybe someone else in the Knight story I believe though when you're on Quesh

• 3 weeks later...

That's very interesting. The order planetary story mission achievements are listed between republic and empire, and between classes, changes from planet to planet. Can't think of a good alternative explanation for the order. It breaks down as follows.

Taris: Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Agent; Sorcerer ;Hunter; Warrior;

Nar Shadda: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Consular;

Tatooine: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer; Warrior; Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper;

Alderaan: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Knight; Trooper; Smuggler; Consular;

Balmorra: Agent; Hunter; Warrior; Sorcerer ;Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Consular;

Hoth: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Smuggler; Trooper; Knight; Consular;

Belsavis: Knight; Consular; Smuggler; Trooper; Agent; Hunter; Warrior; Sorceror;

Voss: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper;

Corellia: Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Hunter; Agent;

Though, this would have the Republic classes completing Corellia before the Empire, which can't be right... Any other inconsistencies?

That's very interesting. The order planetary story mission achievements are listed between republic and empire, and between classes, changes from planet to planet. Can't think of a good alternative explanation for the order. It breaks down as follows.

Taris: Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Agent; Sorcerer ;Hunter; Warrior;

Nar Shadda: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Consular;

Tatooine: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer; Warrior; Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper;

Alderaan: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Knight; Trooper; Smuggler; Consular;

Balmorra: Agent; Hunter; Warrior; Sorcerer ;Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Consular;

Hoth: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Smuggler; Trooper; Knight; Consular;

Belsavis: Knight; Consular; Smuggler; Trooper; Agent; Hunter; Warrior; Sorceror;

Voss: Agent; Hunter; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper;

Corellia: Consular; Knight; Smuggler; Trooper; Sorcerer ;Warrior; Hunter; Agent;

Though, this would have the Republic classes completing Corellia before the Empire, which can't be right... Any other inconsistencies?

List is flawed thou, War chapter 3 begins months after Knight chapter 3 is done. For both Hoth and Voss you have Warrior before Knight. In chapter 3 beginning Warrior replaces Scourge as Emperors Wrath and Baras replaces Emperors Voice who died at the end of Knight chapter 3, and the knight was controlled by the emperor for months at the end of his chapter 2.

The list is definitely flawed - as I mentioned, it has Corellia clearly incorrect. I just can't think of a rational explanation for Bioware having a variation in the story achievement order other than some indication of story order. You make a good point in terms of when the Chapters start for Warrior and Knight, but that might not bear out on each planet. For example, the Warrior's story takes place before Knight on Voss:

The Warrior has to deal with Sel-Makor to release the Emperor, but Sel-Makor is destroyed in the Knight's story

I don't remember the Hoth storylines well enough to say whether there's any contradiction there. Could be the Knight story should occur there first. Any specific details from the Hoth storylines to confirm or deny the Hoth order?

Are you saying that the Knight's Chapter 3 Finale occurs before the Warrior Chapter 3 begins? Because my understanding is their Chapter finales occurred roughly simultaneously, and that the Warrior receives a letter stating this.

The list is definitely flawed - as I mentioned, it has Corellia clearly incorrect. I just can't think of a rational explanation for Bioware having a variation in the story achievement order other than some indication of story order. You make a good point in terms of when the Chapters start for Warrior and Knight, but that might not bear out on each planet. For example, the Warrior's story takes place before Knight on Voss:

The Warrior has to deal with Sel-Makor to release the Emperor, but Sel-Makor is destroyed in the Knight's story

I don't remember the Hoth storylines well enough to say whether there's any contradiction there. Could be the Knight story should occur there first. Any specific details from the Hoth storylines to confirm or deny the Hoth order?

Are you saying that the Knight's Chapter 3 Finale occurs before the Warrior Chapter 3 begins? Because my understanding is their Chapter finales occurred roughly simultaneously, and that the Warrior receives a letter stating this.

At the end of Knight Chapter 3, the JK defeats the Emperors voice (thinking it was the emperor himself) and is killed. In the beginning of War chapter 3, the Emperor Hands tell the War that Darth Baras has proclaimed himself the new voice Voice because the old one was killed. They also make the War, the new Emperors Wrath to replace Scourge.

I honestly doubt they made these class stories missions with a chronological order to sync up with other classes.

Edited by Joefjr

I think you may be mistaken about the Voice part. Baras had the current Voice imprisoned on Voss by Sel-Makor so he could pose as the Voice himself in a bid for power. It is this Voice that the Warrior kills on Voss to release the Emperor. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Baras) The Jedi Knight then kills the new Voice in his Chapter 3 finale. Additionally, after the Warrior's Chapter 3 finale he receives an email explicitly stating that the Knight killed the Voice while the Warrior was fighting Baras.

I think you might be right about when the Warrior becomes the Wrath, though. Scourge is the Wrath until the Knight completes Hoth. So the Knight must complete Hoth before the Warrior starts Chapter 3. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for whether there is an actual chronological order, I definitely don't think its ordered class by class or chapter by chapter, but I think the story missions have some chronology on a planet-by-planet basis. There are a number of cross-references between class stories, and it would seem unusual for BiowarEA to include such elements without having some kind of timeline in mind. Without that, it would just make a mess of things that could be avoided by just not making references. But who knows for sure.

I'm about to begin a playthrough of each class attempting to follow this order to see if it might bear out chronologically (and to play the classes, since I only completed three so far). I'll play the Imperial order first on Corellia and the Republic order first on Hoth, to correct the two inconsistencies we've already identified.

Any other inconsistencies we can see?

• 1 year later...

I know this is a really old post put, hell here i go:

1. Bounty Hunter Hutta (Prelude) (Braden dies, Fa’athra is a major threat to Nem’ro)

2. Imperial Agent Hutta (Prelude) (Fa’athra falls)

3. Jedi Knight Nar Shaddaa (Ch. 1) (First info on CotE)

4. Smuggler Alderaan (Ch. 2) (Bandon’s head is delivered)

5. Bounty Hunter Alderaan (Ch. 2) (Bandon’s head is seen)

6. Jedi Consular Chapter 2 (Qyzen calls Braden, but Mako answers)

7. Jedi Knight post-Hoth (Ch. 2) (Scourge no longer wrath)

8. Sith Warrior Quesh (Ch. 3) (Sith Warrior becomes Wrath)

9. Jedi Consular post-Hoth (Ch. 2) (CotE becomes main conflict)

10. Jedi Consular Belsavis (Ch. 3) (Esh-Kha awaken)

11. Bounty Hunter Belsavis (Ch. 3) (Esh-Kha mentioned as awake)

12. Sith Warrior Voss (Ch. 3) (Emperor freed from Sel-Makor)

13. Jedi Knight Voss (Ch. 3) (Sel-Makor dies)

14. Jedi Knight Corellia (Ch. 3) (Tol Braga dies)

15. Imperial Agent Corellia+ (Ch. 3) (Tol Braga is mentioned as dead, Janarus is Chancellor, Baras and Thanaton are alive, Republic reinforcements have not arrived yet.)

16. Sith Warrior Corellia (Ch. 3) (Baras dies, Darth Thanaton is still alive)

17. Sith Inquisitor Corellia (Ch. 3) (Darth Thanaton dies.)

18. Bounty Hunter Corellia (Ch. 3) (Janarus is in scandal and must resign)

19. Jedi Consular Corellia (Ch. 3) (Republic reinforcements arrive, Janarus is Supreme Chancellor, then it passes to Saresh as recent events)

20. Republic Trooper Corellia (Ch. 3) (Republic reinforcements arrive, Janarus is Supreme Chancellor, then it is passed to Saresh)

21. Smuggler Corellia+ (Ch. 3) (Only Saresh is mentionned)

I know this is a really old post put, hell here i go:

1. Bounty Hunter Hutta (Prelude) (Braden dies, Fa’athra is a major threat to Nem’ro)

2. Imperial Agent Hutta (Prelude) (Fa’athra falls)

3. Jedi Knight Nar Shaddaa (Ch. 1) (First info on CotE)

4. Smuggler Alderaan (Ch. 2) (Bandon’s head is delivered)

5. Bounty Hunter Alderaan (Ch. 2) (Bandon’s head is seen)

6. Jedi Consular Chapter 2 (Qyzen calls Braden, but Mako answers)

7. Jedi Knight post-Hoth (Ch. 2) (Scourge no longer wrath)

8. Sith Warrior Quesh (Ch. 3) (Sith Warrior becomes Wrath)

9. Jedi Consular post-Hoth (Ch. 2) (CotE becomes main conflict)

10. Jedi Consular Belsavis (Ch. 3) (Esh-Kha awaken)

11. Bounty Hunter Belsavis (Ch. 3) (Esh-Kha mentioned as awake)

12. Sith Warrior Voss (Ch. 3) (Emperor freed from Sel-Makor)

13. Jedi Knight Voss (Ch. 3) (Sel-Makor dies)

14. Jedi Knight Corellia (Ch. 3) (Tol Braga dies)

15. Imperial Agent Corellia+ (Ch. 3) (Tol Braga is mentioned as dead, Janarus is Chancellor, Baras and Thanaton are alive, Republic reinforcements have not arrived yet.)

16. Sith Warrior Corellia (Ch. 3) (Baras dies, Darth Thanaton is still alive)

17. Sith Inquisitor Corellia (Ch. 3) (Darth Thanaton dies.)

18. Bounty Hunter Corellia (Ch. 3) (Janarus is in scandal and must resign)

19. Jedi Consular Corellia (Ch. 3) (Republic reinforcements arrive, Janarus is Supreme Chancellor, then it passes to Saresh as recent events)

20. Republic Trooper Corellia (Ch. 3) (Republic reinforcements arrive, Janarus is Supreme Chancellor, then it is passed to Saresh)

21. Smuggler Corellia+ (Ch. 3) (Only Saresh is mentionned)

My god you really looked into this! :eek:

Awesome sauce.

My god you really looked into this! :eek:

Awesome sauce.

Well thanks :) I'm really trying to solve this puzzle that is SWTOR vanilla story. There is much that i did not cover though, for example Empire Belsavis planet story comes before Jedi Knight's Belsavis and so on. I have a long way to go!

Observations:

* On each starter planet, the two local class stories *begin* on the same day.

* In the case of the Trooper and Smuggler, they begin within minutes of each other, since Corso mentions, in the opening sequence, that the seps just took down a Republic military walker, and the trooper story opens when the seps take down the walker carrying the new trooper.

* Events on the two capital worlds suggest strongly that all four classes of each faction arrive there at approximately the same time.

* Much the same can be said of each of the remaining planets.

* None of the above says much about the relationships between the Imperial and Republic events.

Interesting topic :)

For the sake of not getting too many spoilers but understanding who are some character:

Do Knight before Warrior

Do Warrior Before Trooper

Do Consular AFTER Knight

Ideally, play IA till start of chapter 2 before doing consular chapter 2

Play BH before Consular.

Play Warrior before Inquisitor

IA's chapter 3 should be done last, as many references to other stories are made in it.

So a good order I'd say would be:

BH

Knight

Warrior

BH

Trooper=Consular=smuggler=Inquisitor (doesnt matter the order there imo)

IA

BH 1st allows to see chapter 1 Balmorra before going into the pub version of it, its a bit more important than seeing Taris republic side before imp side of it imo, and Corellia's imp side is definitively BEFORE pub's side.

Then the main story of SWTOR is definitely the knight for pub side, and warrior imp side.

Also, to avoid shooting yourself, dont do Trooper THEN consular. Reason for it, Trooper is pretty boring, and consular chapter 1 is very boring. So you'd have 4 chapter in a row that gives you urges to shoot yourself. Better space that :p. Consular chapter 2 and 3 are pretty fun I found tough.

Some people in this thread said earlier playing Dark Jedi can be fun, I'll take their word for it, only did one playthrough of both and did it "standard" jedi.

But I can tell you depending on how you play your sith, a LSish warrior can make a lot of sense. And especially if male, as Vette is a lot more fun to romance than the other companion you get later and that can be romanced as DS.

Similarly, a LSish inquisitor can be more fullfilling than you'd think.

Edited by verfallen