[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually i did .. where is it do they explain what the remore rendere dll's is for ?

Everyone, after discussion with the client team I'd like this rampant speculation (and in some cases, scaremongering) to stop now, please. After this post I'll be locking this thread to prevent further confusion.

Let’s give you a few details gathered from discussion with the client team:

- We are not using any form of 'remote rendering' as has been suggested in this thread. Nothing is being pushed from 'server farms' or anything similar. The research paper linked to in the original post is not related in any way to any aspect of our game client.

- The game client uses two processes that talk to each other. They do not communicate outside of your PC.

- None of these processes are for copy protection of any kind.

- The size of the client dropped during Game Testing as we optimized the client size, removing files that were not being used by the game, but were still in the client. This is a completely normal process for a game in development. With many people needing to download the game, obviously it’s in our interest to reduce the client size where we can.

I’d also like to state, for the record, that none of what is being discussed here is related to our texture rendering in-game. While I understand the temptation to try to connect two different things, it doesn't apply here.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

That was posted by Stephen Reid yesterday

Edit : As I was saying yesterday, that Stanford paper was not a model that could be used in a gaming environment - especially an MMO

Edited by Arkanovi

Did you miss the dev post saying quite clearly that there is no remote-rendering?

They said it wasnt rendering textures... Want to see the code in the file? Ive posted it a few times now... What it is doing is rating your comp and Forcing min quality no matter the settings

Did you miss the dev post saying quite clearly that there is no remote-rendering?

I don't believe it, I beta tested twice on my crap travel Gateway 7805u(?) 4 GB RAM 1 GB Nvidia 9800.

Beta ran smother than the release on that old beast, what changed other than now we know Hero engine was incomplete and had security issues. How did security get fixed? All the evidence I've seen suggests remote rendering.

Zomg another !! :D

There was someone, earlier today, that claimed forcing AA + enabling mipmap would actually make the textures look no different than if there were high res textures in the game. He kept spamming a crappy looking screen capture saying it looks great.

I just wanted to prove that while AA and mipmap will improve the game's look, it will improve the looks even more with high res textures.

he was saying- AA +mipmap = high res textures

I'm saying AA+mipmap + high res textures > all

It was a fun morning for this thread. :csw_jabbapet:

Everyone, after discussion with the client team I'd like this rampant speculation (and in some cases, scaremongering) to stop now, please. After this post I'll be locking this thread to prevent further confusion.

Let’s give you a few details gathered from discussion with the client team:

- We are not using any form of 'remote rendering' as has been suggested in this thread. Nothing is being pushed from 'server farms' or anything similar. The research paper linked to in the original post is not related in any way to any aspect of our game client.

- The game client uses two processes that talk to each other. They do not communicate outside of your PC.

- None of these processes are for copy protection of any kind.

- The size of the client dropped during Game Testing as we optimized the client size, removing files that were not being used by the game, but were still in the client. This is a completely normal process for a game in development. With many people needing to download the game, obviously it’s in our interest to reduce the client size where we can.

I’d also like to state, for the record, that none of what is being discussed here is related to our texture rendering in-game. While I understand the temptation to try to connect two different things, it doesn't apply here.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

That was posted by Stephen Reid yesterday

Edit : As I was saying yesterday, that Stanford paper was not a model that could be used in a gaming environment - especially an MMO

Plain english from the remoterenderer dll.

The state of the assessment is unknown.

The base score for the computer is %.

Note that the hardware configuration of the computer has changed since the assessment was run; the score reflects the prior configuration.

The cpu score for the computer is%.

The memory score for the computer is%.

The disk score for the computer is%.

The d 3d score for the computer is%.

The graphics score for the computer is%.

A formal assessment has not run on the computer.

The assessment data is not valid.

The assessment state value is not valid.

GPU:s score: %d

Using ATI GPU rated min spec.

Using ATI%s GPU rated min spec.

Using Nvidia GPU rated min spec.

Using Nvidia %sGPU rated min spec.

Using INTEL GPU rated min spec.

Using INTEL %sGPU rated min spec.

GPU Penalty %d

currentscore %d

Windows 7 bonus %d

current score %d

Windows Vista bonus %d

current score %d

Windows XP bonus %d

current score %d

forced Min Spec OS penalty%d

current score %d

SSE 1 penalty %d

current score %d

SSE 1 is not supported on thi shardware.

SSE 2 penalty %d

current score %d

SSE2 is not supported on this hardware.

SSE3 penalty %d

current score %d

SSE 3 is not supported on this hardware.

SSE 4 1 penalty %d

current score %d

SSE 4 2 penalty %d

current score %d

Processor speed bonus %d

current score %d

number processors more then 2bonus %d

current score %d

Number processors more than 4bonus %d

current score %d

Dedicated Video Memory greater than 1 Gig bonus %d

current score %d

Dedicated Video Memory greater than 1.5 Gig bonus %d

current score %d

No blit from system to non-local penalty %d.

score %d.

Forced Min Spec because there are less than 2 cpu core restriction.

Therearelessthan2cpucores.

Forced Min Spec because of low video card memory restriction.

Forced Min Spec because of texture dimension power of two restriction.

Forced Min Spec because of less then 16 max anisotropy.

Forced Min Spec because of less then 2 GigaBytes of system memory.

Forced Min Spec because of less then 1024 vertex shader instructions support.

Forced Min Spec because of less then 1024 pixel shader instructions support.

Forced Min Spec because of less then 4 simultaneous render target support.

Forced Min Spec because of no copy system mem to vid support.

Forced Min Spec because of no copy vid mem to system copy support.

Forced Min Spec because of no dynamic texture support.

The poster in question wanted to know why no mater his settings his looked exactly the same... low, high, medium, no change at all...

I don't believe it, I beta tested twice on my crap travel Gateway 7805u(?) 4 GB RAM 1 GB Nvidia 9800.

Beta ran smother than the release on that old beast, what changed other than now we know Hero engine was incomplete and had security issues. How did security get fixed? All the evidence I've seen suggests remote rendering.

:rolleyes:

They said it wasnt rendering textures... Want to see the code in the file? Ive posted it a few times now... What it is doing is rating your comp and Forcing min quality no matter the settings

I wonder if that remote render DLL holds the code linking the two SWTOR.exe processes together - one for the main game, the other doing the rendering. Technically, that'd be "remote" rendering, just the "remote" side is on the same computer.

Sorta like running a web server and a web browser on the same 'puter.

There was someone, earlier today, that claimed forcing AA + enabling mipmap would actually make the textures look no different than if there were high res textures in the game. He kept spamming a crappy looking screen capture saying it looks great.

I just wanted to prove that while AA and mipmap will improve the game's look, it will improve the looks even more with high res textures.

he was saying- AA +mipmap = high res textures

I'm saying AA+mipmap + high res textures > all

It was a fun morning for this thread. :csw_jabbapet:

I agree. In the SS i posted you can see they are still muddy... my card can try to fix it but its not magical... it cant reconstruct a messy texture. Just shine it up a bit

Hi BioWare,

I posted on this thread also multiple times but I needed to state this and it is kinda sad:

Since 3 weeks I play your game, with fun, vigor and relentless effort to build up my character. And I enjoy myself greatly. Then my wife stated she hated her character so I asked her: 'Why? Hannah (char. name) looks great-the game is fabulous!' Her reply: 'Stop being a fanboy and forget for a moment that you wanted to be a Jedi since you are 6 and saw SW 1 in 1977. The textures are worse than in WoW.'

Now she is also a graphic designer and takes pride in her characters she plays online. She almost dumped the game over this. Then SR came with his release and for now we believe BW. But this fix needs to have a REGULAR update report. We are ongoingly paying customers and NEED TO BE kept in the loop. AT LEAST BI-WEEKLY MR. REID, AT LEAST!

Should you fail to do so I can promise you right now you will loose a heap of customers.

The game is not even out yet in AUS/NZ but when it does and the false advertising gripes are still valid, believe me there are ways in our country to stop companies from illegally luring people into buying sub-par and falsely advertised products. And I have a feeling there is a movement in this regard already given other posts I read here so far.

Now this leaves me with a very bitter taste.

BioWARE fix this ASAP. We dont need new content! We need the game fixed first-THEN we can talk content. Get the priorities right for once please and stop worrying about our PC hardware. I upgraded all hardware we have SPECIFICALLY for SWTOR knowing we would play it for years. I still intend to, but ONLY if you stick to your word SR. Even if it would hurt a little I still would cane the game out of ethical reasons. I am just too much of a 'JEDI'. :)

Take it all with a grain of salt, but take it also serious.

Kind regards from Australia

Mark

I wonder if that remote render DLL holds the code linking the two SWTOR.exe processes together - one for the main game, the other doing the rendering. Technically, that'd be "remote" rendering, just the "remote" side is on the same computer.

Sorta like running a web server and a web browser on the same 'puter.

most likely, since this game's Graphics engine in most likely ancient since the last code drop Bio did with HeroEngine was in 2007, we don't have multithreading or anything in this game. Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that this is probably as good as we are going to get because their coding is ancient.

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

"We showed the game to our friend Gordon Walton. We had known Gordon for many years, back in the days when he worked for Kesmai, our late great competitor. Gordon had since been with Sony for its Star Wars Galaxies game among other places. He knows games, especially online games.

Not only did we show him the game, but because Gordon knew us so well we showed him the development tools we had built around our special process – building the game online, in realtime, with tools for the entire team all in one package.

“I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

We had thought about offering our engine and tools to developers but we had expected that we would have to actually ship a game first, like Epic did with Unreal Tournament before they licensed the original Unreal Engine.

It’s not productized yet,” we told Gordon. “There are whole sections of code that is only roughed in and not optimized for performance or security. And there are very few comments and very little documentation.”

He didn’t care. “We are going to have tons of engineers. We can finish it ourselves. We’re going to want to modify your source code for our special project anyway.”

Straight from the game engines website.

most likely, since this game's Graphics engine in most likely ancient since the last code drop Bio did with HeroEngine was in 2007, we don't have multithreading or anything in this game. Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that this is probably as good as we are going to get because their coding is ancient.

Anyone confirm beta had two SWTOR.exe running? Any screenshots?

Oh my wife and I have plans to jump aboard the next game that takes our fancy.

We waited for this game forever, so excited. We are both diehard sw fans and mmo players. But this game was not what we expected or wanted.

So in meantime I try and push for changes in order to have this game what we both hoped.

Right now with no endgame, no trade skill market, and different shades of blury earth colors for gear we wont be staying.

I wish this was not the case, it sucks to see her so crushed and disappointed. She came from SWG though..... in her words the xbox community has taken her world lol.

Those baby names in the credits and sound quality were MUCH more important then actually giving us high res textures!

BW, I'm disappointed in you. Went into the TOR car dealership for a luxury car, got a lemon that doesn't work half the time instead.

Oh, and your salesman Stephen Reid stole my coffee and then spit in it.

Edited by Quirnheim

wait...are you serious....? SWTOR doesn't multi thread? You got a source?

Oh my wife and I have plans to jump aboard the next game that takes our fancy.

We waited for this game forever, so excited. We are both diehard sw fans and mmo players. But this game was not what we expected or wanted.

So in meantime I try and push for changes in order to have this game what we both hoped.

Right now with no endgame, no trade skill market, and different shades of blury earth colors for gear we wont be staying.

I wish this was not the case, it sucks to see her so crushed and disappointed. She came from SWG though..... in her words the xbox community has taken her world lol.

Yup! Same here as posted a little earlier. I heard some similar console comment from my wife. LOL And rightly so. Yet this is a PC production with an engine that does not even allow AA natively? Gotta has to have been developed for consoles since console users give a rat's *** about AA but it's the biggest market. Go figure! Money let's it down again, does it not? The problem is I cannot justify spending hours on a game without my partner - she would loose the plot and rightly so.