Underleveling. How to escape the treadmill?

Legendoom

Hey guys,

Level 41 Bounty Hunter speaking to you from lovely Belsavis. I'm always running into the problem of running out of quests before I finish an area, and I need advice. The guys on my server told me to do all the quests, save group ones, finish bonus series, do space missions, and I should be fine. Normally, I just finish all the quests and sometimes take the bonus series. The result is (for example) me finishing Hoth at 39, or Taris at 34. It's infuriating, because now my quest log is jammed with oranges and reds with the only viable option being to grind my way to success, or do more group stuff.

So, I ask for solutions. I don't care for PvP, and I'd prefer to avoid flashpoints if at all possible . Heroics I can do, but I don't like to do them. Bonus series are fine, and space missions are meh. What's your strategy?

Good hunting.

honestly if you do the bonus objectives on quests and the bonus series for each planet you should be on lv with your quests or 1-2 above. now if you do pvp space battles flashpoints and heroics you can get to 50 before leaving belsavis. to answer the actual question of getting up to lv from where you are I would suggest running heroics everyday and do any flashpoint you can get into for both of these a guild is helpful. if you can do none of these because you are to far under grind some creds make an alt and try better next time. you may be able to lv alt past or might learn where you missed some things.

strange. i was overleveled for just about everything...

i am a bit of a complete every aholic. but it was honestly just every mission i happened across and then bonus series. i found missions would get greyed out before i even got to em from being 3 or more levels below me...

i saved all heroics till i completed the planet. and did most bonus objectives.

also helps alot if you log off every night in he cantina. double xp all day afterward

I had the exact opposite problem.

I did all the heroics for Dromund/Balmorra along with level appropriate flashpoints and some space combat dailies.

By the time I finished tatooine I was overlevelled by two planets and after Taris just gave up on doing every heroic there was and did no more flashpoints. The planets didn't catch up again until I hit Voss where I was at the extreme high end of its level range.

Hey guys,

Level 41 Bounty Hunter speaking to you from lovely Belsavis. I'm always running into the problem of running out of quests before I finish an area, and I need advice. The guys on my server told me to do all the quests, save group ones, finish bonus series, do space missions, and I should be fine. Normally, I just finish all the quests and sometimes take the bonus series. The result is (for example) me finishing Hoth at 39, or Taris at 34. It's infuriating, because now my quest log is jammed with oranges and reds with the only viable option being to grind my way to success, or do more group stuff.

So, I ask for solutions. I don't care for PvP, and I'd prefer to avoid flashpoints if at all possible . Heroics I can do, but I don't like to do them. Bonus series are fine, and space missions are meh. What's your strategy?

Good hunting.

The biggest issue with overleveling is the snowball effect, I realize once you are already overlevel it is tough to catch up.

That said, really my strategy has just been thoroughness thus far. I have been doing flashpoints, but not heavily (did every one up to Raiders which was early 30's once, nothing since) have done no space combat, and a total of seven or eight warzones (just enough for the level 40 chest and legs for aesthetic purposes), if it matters haven't bothered logging in cantinas or on my ship either.

Yet with that said I am at present about halfway through Belsavis while also just past halfway between 46 and 47.

How did I do it?

Be very thorough on doing every quest. Get each bonus series (except I had to bypass alderaan, didn't pick it up until it was already gray) and do all heroic 2+'s since they are soloable, and end up doing about half of the heroic 4's--> I don't actively seek heroic 4 groups I simply go about questing and join whenever there's a group of at least 2 looking for more.

I also make it a habit of killing bonus series sets before continuing down to the actual quest objective this ramps up the number of mobs killed in the process of questing by a decent margin as well.

Check the fleet station if you missed any bonus series' you can hit--> alderaan for example is 34 which'd be green to you but should help ramp you up at least a level

strange. i was overleveled for just about everything...

i am a bit of a complete every aholic. but it was honestly just every mission i happened across and then bonus series. i found missions would get greyed out before i even got to em from being 3 or more levels below me...

i saved all heroics till i completed the planet. and did most bonus objectives.

also helps alot if you log off every night in he cantina. double xp all day afterward

same here, my first char to 50...i was dropping quests to go to the next planet because they were grey to me. i never had an issue being underleveled.

Be very thorough on doing every quest. Get each bonus series (except I had to bypass alderaan, didn't pick it up until it was already gray) and do all heroic 2+'s since they are soloable, and end up doing about half of the heroic 4's--> I don't actively seek heroic 4 groups I simply go about questing and join whenever there's a group of at least 2 looking for more.

I also make it a habit of killing bonus series sets before continuing down to the actual quest objective this ramps up the number of mobs killed in the process of questing by a decent margin as well.

This would be my advice also, from multi-stage bonus quests you get maybe 5 times the xp that you get from the main quest.

And when you always rest in cantinas your xp from normal kills is doubled which amounts to quite much in the long run.

And whenever you are in a planet that has decent player population mark yourself for looking for a group, heroics pay handsomely and playing with others lets you use your characters abilities as they are meant to be used, not like you need when using your companion.

I have never had this problem. In fact i've been 1-2 lvls ABOVE the minimum suggestion ever since i left Korriban all the way thus far to lvl 35 in Taris (only started it at lvl 34 and it is lvl 32+).

For me its simple,

1-Ensure you do ALL bonus missions & heroics on a planet when they pop up,

2-ALWAYS log out in a cantina for rested exp bonus,

3-Do any yellow/orange/red daily space missions, ignore green and lower.

4-DO FLASHPOINTS! Do each flashpoint at least once when you are around the right level for it, if not for the story (which i love), then at least for the social points, exp, money, loot and orange loot....

In the end it seems that if you play solo (skipping heroics, flashpoints...) you fall behind at around level 40.

Not true as this is what I have done played solo done the heroics when they where grey = 5xp and am level 42 and not long started hoth

I can't for the life of me see how u can underlevel in this game unless u purposely only do ur class quests and skip to teh next planet.

For example my current toon, empire side.. ive been slowly takin in all the sights as i hit each planet. I run all the quests at every hub including grabbing a guildie if i need to hit the heroics. At the end of the planet I hit the bonus series and grab the codex/datacron's b4 departing. When i leave the planet if there are new space missions i run them ONCE...

That said, ive just landed on Alderaan im 37 everythings grey.

Its simple.

With my last char i am enjoying whole game - means every flashpoint once, every quest and every heroic q once and daily pvp q.

I am all the time overleveled and i dont even touch space missions, coz some planets i was overleveled so much that half lvl more and i woudlnt get exps for quest.

If you choose not to do things like flashpoints, pvp, space missions and heroics - you will be UL hard. If you do it all, youre OL hard.

Your choice.

I don't know, honestly, what you are doing. I usually skip all heroics, almsot never do flashpoints, and I end up overleveled to the point of the quest rewards being nigh-useless (29 starting Tatooine, 32 starting Alderaan on my agents, I was 50 on Voss with my Bounty Hunter). What I do is:

Always log off in a rest area (Fleet, ship, cantina). The double kill exp from the rested bonus is worth a lot. If you have alts, alternate leveling between them so they all get rest enough, you save a lot of time in the long run.

Do the daily warzone quest.

Do some space dailies - I did that in my teens and low twenties, less so now.

If you like pvp at all Warzones are quite decent xp and so are space missions. Personally dislike space missions even though they are great xp/min. Usually dont have this problem and most of time end up skipping some boring sidequests. Also running flashpoints is fun, decent xp and good equipment.

Havent found myself grinding mobs for xp almost at all even though you can get quite good xp for doing so too. Only time I do that is for bonus objectives.

Hope this helps

PS. I often find myself skipping the bonus series just not to become overleveled for next planet.

Edited by Darth_Vala

I too an underleveled level 36 when I am supposed to be level 40, just by doing solo quests and the space dailies, heroics/flashpoints are no go if your not level 50 on my sever and my sever fails on all levels in war zones, so much I rage over the pure stupidly my team shows, most conman example is having the entire team suppressed by a single republic.

Quick update: I finished Alderaan's bonus series, which gave me a bit of a boost, did a warzone, whose exp was nearly nothing, and then went back to Belsavis. I'm now on par with my class quests and one level above the side quests (I'm now 43). What's really giving me the jump I need is soloing the 2 man heroics, which I didn't believe possible before, and now thanks to Concussion Missile and some careful corpse-runs, I can do most of them. Thanks very much for the advice guys, I'll be testing this in full on my level 10 Sith Warrior once I hit 50.

Quick update: I finished Alderaan's bonus series, which gave me a bit of a boost, did a warzone, whose exp was nearly nothing, and then went back to Belsavis. I'm now on par with my class quests and one level above the side quests (I'm now 43). What's really giving me the jump I need is soloing the 2 man heroics, which I didn't believe possible before, and now thanks to Concussion Missile and some careful corpse-runs, I can do most of them. Thanks very much for the advice guys, I'll be testing this in full on my level 10 Sith Warrior once I hit 50.

Glad its helped. And yeah they make a much bigger difference then one might think. Not only do you have to factor the exp. from the quest itself, but any mob kills since elites and strongs give a higher exp. yield.

Another catch-up helper I'll reiterate is treating bonus "kill x of Y" quests as separate entities, i.e. killing your 24 jawas before traveling down the tunnel of angry jawas to destroy the purple Jawanese trinket at the end of the cave.

Sometimes this'll feel a little old, but interspersed among regular questing it adds up both in $$ and exp--> not efficient from "I hit 50 with only ___ hours played" kinda way, but very helpful at staying at or ahead of the content.

Another thing to keep in mind if you do elect to do some of the alternative methods like pvp/flashpoints is that almost all of them have an attached daily from a quest terminal in fleet. Make sure to pick these up even if you don't use them that day it's only a couple quests worth of space (I don't think I've ever surpassed 21 total quests in my log even doing this) and if you decide "what the heck I'll run that flashpoint that I hadn't planned on because there's three people looking for my specific role ready to go" it gives you a nice boost as well.

Funny isn't, because for all the threads like this there is one asking about how to stop overlevelling!

As per my posts in that thread, I had absolutely no 'under level' problems and have had to actively ignore quests to get back on par. I haven't been logging out in Cantinas or doing a lot of warzones/flashpoints but just by doing every quest and the bonus quests along the way I was over-levelled by the time I got to Alderaan.

So I guess my advice to you if you are under-levelling is the opposite of the advice given on the other thread!

• Accept every quest you see on a planet
  • If while doing that quest you trigger a bonus quest follow it through to completion
  • Accept every quest you come across (so important it deserves mentioning twice)
  • Do the end of planet 'bonus series' quests
  • Do flashpoints when they are available
  • The odd warzone or two won't hurt if you are still lagging behind in levels

With my alt I played Esseles 4 or 5 times until I was around level 15 then ignored nearly every quest on Coruscant apart from my class quest. With my main I did every quest on Coruscant and didn't really want to see them all again. Now I am done with Coruscant I'm back on the fleet and playing Hammer Station and Athis before heading to the next planet for class quests only. When I get to Alderaan I will slow down because I skipped that planet on my main and so the content will be all fresh and new to me.