Why Is Life Day Scheduled So Late This Year?

Darth_Sidewinder

The Life Day Event has been announced to start on 17th December this year - very late in comparison to previous years. Last year, it was a week earlier (11th, therefore I expected it to be on the 10th). And I am not sure if my memory serves correctly, but I believe some previous years it was even much earlier.

The time period seems all too short, especially for those of us who think that the decorations finally look like worth collecting.

On top of that, it does not seem to make much sense to start the Life Day event at the same time as another event (the Rakghoul Plague). That alone will provide some incentive for players. It would be much better to start Life Day already on the week before, which is currently "empty".

Is anyone of the same opinion?

Maybe because year after year people fill the forums with crying about "mah immersion!" and getting hit with snowballs like they're a bunch of 5 year olds. Just a thought.

I'm all for immersion. But my immersion is more easily broken by bunch of dudes running around the fleet with their companions dressed up as if they just crawled out of a **** movie.

The snowballs are going to fly for a couple of weeks anyway, if it's one week here or there won't change anything.

So true about immersion. The best place to have RP immersion is in a stronghold or guild flagship.

I can understand why some people don't want to be hit repeatedly by snowballs while shopping at the GTN.

Of course, you can place a GTN kiosk in your stronghold or guild flagship and not worry about snowballs or plague victims.

I've always wondered why they don't start Life Day in November, the official day outside of an MMO.

Maybe because year after year people fill the forums with crying about "mah immersion!" and getting hit with snowballs like they're a bunch of 5 year olds. Just a thought.

Dunno. Personally I think has more to do with the patch they need to do for crafting and a bunch of bugs that Onslaught brought. They probably want to use the maximum time to make that patch as good as they can, while still just having the time to do emergency patches if needed before the holidays.

Dunno. Personally I think has more to do with the patch they need to do for crafting and a bunch of bugs that Onslaught brought. They probably want to use the maximum time to make that patch as good as they can, while still just having the time to do emergency patches if needed before the holidays.

This was my thought. I they also mentioned a crafting UI overhaul, so I was also guessing they might bundle that into 6.0.2 as well since it will be all about crafting.

This was my thought. I they also mentioned a crafting UI overhaul

Oh GOD no! Another case of unasked-for changes, apparently just for the sake of change. Whyy is it so hard for some people to embrace the simple concept of, If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Oh GOD no! Another case of unasked-for changes, apparently just for the sake of change. Whyy is it so hard for some people to embrace the simple concept of, If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Speak for yourself. I definitely want a crafting UI overhaul and have already asked this for years.

• Dev Post

Hey there,

I can add some clarity on the timing of Life Day this year. Typically our events all start and end on Tuesdays and Life Day is no different. We are planning a patch (6.0.2) for next week that will come out on Thursday. This patch will include some Life Day stuff and so it would then start on the next Tuesday after the patch, the 17th!

-eric

Hey there,

I can add some clarity on the timing of Life Day this year. Typically our events all start and end on Tuesdays and Life Day is no different. We are planning a patch (6.0.2) for next week that will come out on Thursday. This patch will include some Life Day stuff and so it would then start on the next Tuesday after the patch, the 17th!

-eric

Personally, I am happy about the delay. It comes to early and stays too late, and makes Nar Shadaa unvisitable during the holiday. Will be nice to enjoy the planet a bit longer without all the gift farmers.

Hey there,

-eric

Oh so the actual patch comes next week on the 12th. That is good news by itself.

Hey there,

I can add some clarity on the timing of Life Day this year. Typically our events all start and end on Tuesdays and Life Day is no different. We are planning a patch (6.0.2) for next week that will come out on Thursday.

-eric

Eric, I’m concerned about these Thursday patches you are doing.

If there is a problem, like the last one, you don’t have time to fix it before the weekend and that means a whole weekend can be non playable.

I am of course referring to ability / task bar problems with the last patch that didn’t get fixed till the middle of the following week,

Personally, I would prefer you delay a patch you’ve got ready for a Thursday to be released on the Monday. That way if you’ve got any problems, you have 5 full working week days to fix it before the weekend prime time when most people are in the game.

If you are dead set on releasing these Thursday patches, please have staff prepared to get bugs fixed before the weekend. Which I know means crunch time and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, but as paying customers, it’s expected to have a working game faster than not being able to play all weekend.

That’s why I think it would be in the best interest of the devs and the players to not release on Thursday’s.

Anyway, please mention this to Keith and see what he thinks.

It's, of course, understandable that certain players that spend their time posting on the forums are a bit lacking in terms of understanding why delaying a vital patch like this is a bad idea. It's my hope that certain people start to find playing the actual game to be fun and thus see the challenges that face players ingame, spending your money on a subscription just for the forum privileges is of course up to you. However, once you start to lose your connection to the player base and the gameplay it becomes a bit too much of an echo chamber, at times.

Some people prefer to stay in that chamber tho, to each her own

Hey there,

-eric

Thanks for the response, Eric. It would still be nice if the Life Day itself could start already next week, like it has been in the previous years. Also for the reason that some players (like me) won't be able to play as much over the peak of the holidays, but could compensate for it before or after.

Is it also a week shorter than normal? Not complaining, just wondering if it is, or does it normally just seem longer...lol

That's essentially what I meant! I don't really care WHY does it start later, but THAT it starts later, therefore less time to do it! *note to self to phrase hyper precisely when posting to a forum *

Thanks for the response, Eric. It would still be nice if the Life Day itself could start already next week, like it has been in the previous years. Also for the reason that some players (like me) won't be able to play as much over the peak of the holidays, but could compensate for it before or after.

I doubt it, they don't compensate for downtimes, even when it's days, so I doubt they'll do it for an event. Can't see why they didn't keep it the same lenght, if they shortened it before Christmas, I don't see why they could keep it a week longer in the New Year.