Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Remove guard from dps please

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Remove guard from dps please

omaan's Avatar


omaan
10.04.2019 , 03:27 PM | #1
This is ridiculous, 3 dps with a healer and two of them just cross guarding each other and our team has only one dps who has guard and no one can guard him. SO ofcourse our team will loose since enemy team is just hitting one target without need to switch while our team has to spend time on swapping and these swaps don't really help much since switching targets still takes time which helps enemy healer to heal up both dps easily. Only tanks must have guard since it's their role to save team mates from dps. When dps can both guard, spam taunts and do dps this is not normal and gives a huge advantage in heal/dps ranked games.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
10.04.2019 , 04:49 PM | #2
Please tell me this was 3 PTs too, that would make it all the funnier.

I mean I'm personally fine taking guard away from dps specs, as long as they get something in return for the loss of utility

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
10.04.2019 , 05:08 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
I mean I'm personally fine taking guard away from dps specs, as long as they get something in return for the loss of utility
I don't think they need to remove it, but it is too effective a tool given how easy it is to use. I would nerf it to 25% damage reduction for dps specs. Or another option would be to make it take a lot resources to use, so that there's an actual cost. That way its impact will more closely match its ease of use.

While I wouldn't call it broken or anything, and there are clear strategies to counter it most of the time, there are very few good players that think dps guard is fine as is, and the ones that do are conveniently sin mains.

Seterade's Avatar


Seterade
10.04.2019 , 06:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I don't think they need to remove it, but it is too effective a tool given how easy it is to use. I would nerf it to 25% damage reduction for dps specs. Or another option would be to make it take a lot resources to use, so that there's an actual cost. That way its impact will more closely match its ease of use.

While I wouldn't call it broken or anything, and there are clear strategies to counter it most of the time, there are very few good players that think dps guard is fine as is, and the ones that do are conveniently sin mains.
far easier and more sensible it a) they lose the proc that form switching orginaly punished (no stun immune leap or autocrit burst) or b) just nerf their dmg by 25%. guard was always a dps thing, it just came with a big nerf to dps because your burst rotated around your stance. nerf dmg while guarding, ez change

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
10.04.2019 , 06:47 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
far easier and more sensible it a) they lose the proc that form switching orginaly punished (no stun immune leap or autocrit burst) or b) just nerf their dmg by 25%. guard was always a dps thing, it just came with a big nerf to dps because your burst rotated around your stance. nerf dmg while guarding, ez change
Yeah, that's a good idea too.

omaan's Avatar


omaan
10.06.2019 , 02:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
While I wouldn't call it broken or anything, and there are clear strategies to counter it most of the time, there are very few good players that think dps guard is fine as is, and the ones that do are conveniently sin mains.
These strategies aren't working much tbh. One of main strats is make one of your team members sit on guarding player while others are sitting on guarded player. Yet it's still better for enemy healer to heal up the group instead of healing one, hardly zerged target since healers in swtor actually do more hps than dps specs do damage (healers do 6-10k hps while dps specs doing 5-7k dps). For healer healing splited damage much easier than to heal one zerged target. Thats why cross-guarding teams win teams with no cross-guard - they can sit on one target and non-guard team is forced to split or swap targets.

In addition to this, in swtor not all classes are good at swap - concealment operative doesn't have same close-up as fury mara has (obliterate, for example)and roll is pretty situational on mid-range (since it can push you too much farther than needed). So those classes/specs which are not good at swaping are in bad position against cross-guarders.

SOULCASTER's Avatar


SOULCASTER
10.06.2019 , 04:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
Please tell me this was 3 PTs too, that would make it all the funnier.

I mean I'm personally fine taking guard away from dps specs, as long as they get something in return for the loss of utility
I'm not sure why people think that removing a game-breaking mecahnic warrants some kind of reimbursement. Not all DPS can guard, so its not like you ''need the utility''. Broken mechanic is broken. Just fix/remove the ability for DPS to guard. Should have happened years ago.


EDIT:

Zurules's Avatar


Zurules
10.06.2019 , 04:20 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
I'm not sure why people think that removing a game-breaking mecahnic warrants some kind of reimbursement. Not all DPS can guard, so its not like you ''need the utility''. Broken mechanic is broken. Just fix/remove the ability for DPS to guard. Should have happened years ago.


EDIT:
Actually just found this in another thread. Good example on why DPS being able to guard is retarded.
Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/oZja4Qf
(Image source: page 2 of: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=968693&page=2)
Those are tanks... Dps guarding grants a nice complexity to pvp in this game. The risk/reward is there too so im happy it is staying the same.
All Galaxy Hybrid-Clicker Shadow

SOULCASTER's Avatar


SOULCASTER
10.06.2019 , 04:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zurules View Post
Those are tanks... Dps guarding grants a nice complexity to pvp in this game. The risk/reward is there too so im happy it is staying the same.
Whoops correct, wrong screenshot. I'm so used to DPS doing that much protection that I didn't even catch that its the wrong screenshot. Let me go back and get it.

There isn't really a risk/reward for guarding as a DPS. The only risk is if your healer is bad.

Zurules's Avatar


Zurules
10.06.2019 , 09:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
There isn't really a risk/reward for guarding as a DPS. The only risk is if your healer is bad.
When you guard someone as a dps, you cannot get guard in return(be guarded). If you do not know how to take advantage of that, then you might want to rethink how you pvp in this game.
All Galaxy Hybrid-Clicker Shadow