Gear - what the hell is the point right now of set bonuses with this loot system?

ZionHalcyon

I mean, I have this nice set bonus right now, and most of the drops don't have modifiers I can pull.

It makes it feel tedious and unrewarding....

It has taken me roughly 15 or so veteran mode flashpoints (hammer or athiss) to get high enough in item rating level (279) that I'm getting modifications to drop and fill my set bonus shells. So, I am currently in full seven pieces of set bonus gear with an average iLvl of 279. Of course, that set bonus gear and tactical item cost me 24000 tech fragments and 8 million credits from the direct vendors, quantities I would have been highly unlikely to have earned merely from the tech fragments properly looted and deconstructed. I was at the cap of TFs so there was no way to know for sure, but it would have been about a couple hundred I would guess. I had deconstructed roughly ten pieces per run on the last ten runs, for TF in the single digits, and then I completed the veteran flashpoint [WEEKLY] to do five, which awards some TFs. Completing the FP awards TFs as well. A couple hundred TFs is only enough to buy a single random item modification from the Takanna/Nitoo vendors on the fleet.

Of note, during the ten runs I did tonight, only once did a set bonus item actually drop from the final boss, and it was a general set, not class specific. No tacticals dropped.

So, after 20 group-oriented activities over the past few days since phase 3 started, of which about 16 were VM flashpoints (hammer and athiss only), one was MM Hammer, and three warzones, I would have earned enough tech fragments for a couple of random pieces from the vendor, nine iLvl's, about 16 or so renown levels (my boost fell off at one point) which I wouldn't be opening until iLvl 306-ish anyway, and a chance at one set bonus shell (filled). Thats over 6 hours, and on mostly stealther characters, specced as tank or heals. And that's only one toon thats at iLvl 279, the assassin tank is closer to 276 and not enough mods to be in full set bonus.

I mean, I have this nice set bonus right now, and most of the drops don't have modifiers I can pull.

It makes it feel tedious and unrewarding....

We all agree....the idea is to make it so all players are the same until they can afford the tech frags to get the set bonus pieces they want.....but did you even look at the set bonuses? :(