Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So TOXIC In Ranked Warzone Devs Need To Look Into This

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So TOXIC In Ranked Warzone Devs Need To Look Into This

JediMasterAlex
08.21.2019 , 10:16 AM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Floplag View Post
You are either oblivious or in denial but to suggest its not a problem IS the problem.
Except it's not actually a problem. You would know that if you actually played solo ranked.

Notice that Foxmob, who actually plays solo ranked, agrees with me on this issue, and Foxmob clearly doesn't like me and disagrees with me on all kinds of other topics.

Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
it's not actually a big issue on SF atm.

UltraFlashStar
08.21.2019 , 10:24 AM | #162
oh oh look. a merc who pops reflect as he runs across corellia mid while he's guarded "healing" one team while another team has the merc who gets out healed by his concealment op
Wait wait wait, this sounds really familiar. I had a match just like this on SF. I out-healed a Merc Healer on my Scrapper Scoundrel while the enemy team Merc DPS was had reflect and was running from a guard I think. You might have been in that match.

Ah good times, bad times.
Coppes Spacer
“Let me play you a sad song on the galaxy’s smallest xantha.”

JediMasterAlex
08.21.2019 , 10:24 AM | #163
but i suspect where that line is drawn will be very different for each of us.
Exactly. Which is one reason why having universal standards and punishing people for it is a bad idea.

Telling someone they should have done thus and so isnt toxic, as long as it doesnt accompany ancestral insults. But we all know that isnt typical how it works and the sentence usually begins with "**** you noob you should have done thus and so".... which crosses that line.
That doesn't happen very often, that's what we're trying to tell you. And even when it does and it crosses a line...so what? It's just words. By all means call them out on it, but the person still shouldn't face any punishment for it.

He knows this, hes not stupid, he just doesnt want to admit that hes much more comfortable with that line being a lot more liberal than others.
That's possible, but I can't read peoples' minds, so I don't know if that's true. Whether I personally think someone crosses the line isn't relevant to my central argument, which is that people shouldn't be punished for their speech even if they're being undeniably toxic.

UltraFlashStar
08.21.2019 , 10:41 AM | #164
AS usual Fox hits the mark.
The question becomes where do you draw the line when banter becomes harrasment become toxic.
From my experiences, most people either try to help the person or tells them that they’re not ready for Ranked. Usually escalates when the person doesn’t respond to either message and continues to do the same thing, ignoring advice. Then people start busting out the “x is probably a bot” “x sucks” “x is probably a wintrader”
Coppes Spacer
“Let me play you a sad song on the galaxy’s smallest xantha.”

JediMasterAlex
08.21.2019 , 10:46 AM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraFlashStar View Post
From my experiences, most people either try to help the person or tells them that they’re not ready for Ranked. Usually escalates when the person doesn’t respond to either message and continues to do the same thing, ignoring advice. Then people start busting out the “x is probably a bot” “x sucks” “x is probably a wintrader”
Correct. Another source of escalation is when the person who is obviously playing terribly and getting globaled tries to say "no dude, I couldn't do anything, they had me stun locked" or some other nonsense excuse, rather than taking responsibility for their poor play.

foxmob
08.21.2019 , 10:54 AM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
Notice that Foxmob, who actually plays solo ranked, agrees with me on this issue, and Foxmob clearly doesn't like me and disagrees with me on all kinds of other topics.
right now, it's pretty clean. you might get Cease arguing with someone or Dean spamming the same thing to a dense player (e.g., "guard swap" "guard swap" "guard swap"), but it's just typical arguing about strat between teammates that happens in any sport when something goes wrong.

HOWEVER, as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, it was worse. and before that, when a certain wannabe viking had a huge chunk of the imp-side SR population in his little fad guild streaming on twitter, it was an entirely different story. not only were the usual suspects running their mouths, but the mob mentality had otherwise civil players banging on weaker players in fleet (again, using myself as a reference: really bad = significantly worse than me, my highest elo is 1400 on a merc, and most are in the high 1200s/low 1300s!).

but yeah. it's been quiet on SF for at least 2 weeks. pops have been slower too though. and more really bad players.

@coppes. you may have been in the match. King Leonidas (not his in-game name) is the merc who l does the reflect while guarded running into the first fight (corellia). the healing merc that was outhealed by fairy (whose ingame name also isn't fairy) was in an orbital. I think Leonidas was on my team for that one. it was funny b/c we waited forever to get that pop, and as soon as the two healers q'd, we got the pop, and it was that pathetic orbital. lol

anyway... #firstworldproblems
Krack

Floplag
08.21.2019 , 01:06 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
Except it's not actually a problem. You would know that if you actually played solo ranked.

Fox didnt agree with you aside from saying its currently not bad, historically it has been for a long time. This is why we are where we are, not the last couple weeks. Again you know this, there is no debate on this. But hide behind the fact that i dont take part of that somehow makes you feel better while ignoring the "why" in that statement.
Floplag - Merc/Mando
Referral link, cause why not: http://www.swtor.com/r/wdLxth

JediMasterAlex
08.21.2019 , 01:15 PM | #168
Fox didnt agree with you aside from saying its currently not bad, historically it has been for a long time. This is why we are where we are, not the last couple weeks. Again you know this, there is no debate on this. But hide behind the fact that i dont take part of that somehow makes you feel better while ignoring the "why" in that statement.
I was never talking about only the last couple weeks. Over the last year or so that I've played ranked regularly (since season 1), there are ebbs and flows, and there are a few disproportionately toxic people that can make it seem bad for a match here or a match there, but it's still not a significant issue.

And you're totally right to say that there's no debate on this. Toxicity is not a big problem in solo ranked. End of story. Everyone who actually plays solo ranked knows that that's the case, and some of them have said so in this very thread. You continue to ignore reality and instead offer your utterly ill-informed opinion.

foxmob
08.21.2019 , 02:18 PM | #169
it ebbs in flows because A) players stop playing while they wait for tiers to be announced, and B) they've been reported so much that the next time they run their mouths that 1-2 day ban will become a month, and they want to be around when 6.0 pops.
Krack

JediMasterAlex
08.21.2019 , 02:42 PM | #170
it ebbs in flows because A) players stop playing while they wait for tiers to be announced, and B) they've been reported so much that the next time they run their mouths that 1-2 day ban will become a month, and they want to be around when 6.0 pops.
lol maybe. I'm only aware of that one mara getting banned for being toxic. Are you saying there have been more? I don't really frequent many pvp discords because I have no interest in getting involved in the drama.