Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Madness : where is the synergy ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Madness : where is the synergy ?

IAAIAO
04.28.2013 , 12:12 PM | #1
Hi,

A lot of people have been throwing rocks at Madness specs (Sins and Sorcerers).

I don't see any issues regarding damages, besides a little damages upgrade (Casts with 30% additional damages would be fine)

But the main issue with Madness game design is the lack of synergy.

You need to connect Dots (damages over time) with the AOE (death field), the force casts (Lightning...) and the physical attacks (thrash, assassination...). Madness is designed for this. This is the perk we should get as Madness Specs.

For example, casting Crushing darkness could add additional damages when using Death field or reduce the cost of assassination etc...

Why did the game designers not introduce such features ? Besides races perks, that could have been great too.

Majspuffen
04.28.2013 , 07:30 PM | #2
The spec had great synergy before 2.0.

When your dots consumed your death mark charges you'd regain force (at a higher rate than lightning burns). The Crushing Darkness proc was as it is, but without the internal CD. We had access to Duplicity in the Deception Tree, giving us a very strong and cheap melee attack. Our Shock would increase our melee damage done by 10% for 20s.

Apparently, Bioware thought that this was "too hard" and decided to simplify the spec, and thus removing all the fun out of it.

IAAIAO
04.29.2013 , 03:53 AM | #3
Yes I remember these ones and I was wondering why did they remove that too.

kijthae
04.29.2013 , 08:21 AM | #4
Madness is underestimated by majority of assasins. Many noobs go darkness , some skilled players play deception but people dislike madness because of its complexity. Although it had variety of skills in its rotation before shock removed it could solo 2 players with madness at illum at the first patches. I havent reached 55 i havent tested it on 55 but im going to keep playing with it after im bored of playing deception.

Majspuffen
04.29.2013 , 10:07 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by kijthae View Post
Madness is underestimated by majority of assasins. Many noobs go darkness , some skilled players play deception but people dislike madness because of its complexity. Although it had variety of skills in its rotation before shock removed it could solo 2 players with madness at illum at the first patches. I havent reached 55 i havent tested it on 55 but im going to keep playing with it after im bored of playing deception.
Well, fret not, noobs can play Madness now as well. It is no more complex than Darkness. Deception is probably the tree with the highest skill-cap at the moment.

MasterFeign
04.29.2013 , 10:38 AM | #6
I was pveing with madness, (instead of my usual darkness dps hybrid), and decided to try the same build in pvp. While I put up great number (440k in huttball), it felt like fluff. That is to say, damage wasn't doing as much as there were plenty of sages probably cleansing my DOTs. That and stun wars was interrupting my rotation at every turn. Whereas with darkness I get disjunction and a longer force shroud, and spike out of stealth, I only have creeping terror and a mangled whirlwind (out of stealth) to use.

I mean perhaps it could take a little more gameplay to get used to, but loosing maul, among other things, was not as fun.

I'm also not sure about deception, but I still find that the assassin in general, can be quite a force starved class. One thing I should think to do is after placing a deathfield, to use lacerate since discharge in madness spec isn't an AOE (which it should be, to at least put it on some par with smash).

Trying to kill a smash with madness is a joke.

IAAIAO
04.29.2013 , 01:30 PM | #7
Madness is still a great spec in PvE, very underestimated indeed.

Don't know bout PvP mate.

But yeah I don't understand game designers' choice.