Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Critique deception opener

CBRGhostRider
04.18.2013 , 12:08 PM | #1
Hopefully my fellow assassins can help me optimize this opener. Any suggestions/comments welcome:

This is what I do:

0. While in stealth pop recklessness, now I have 3 stacks for discharge.
1. Spike
2. Maul
2.5. If needed Shroud (Usually at this point, it's ZOMG panic-mode, and he is just getting up off the ground. The tendency is to pop a knockback, especially if he is a sniper or ranged class, or some kind of stun).
3. Discharge
4. Chain shock
5 Blackout
5.5 If kiter, Force slow (mine is talented for the longer slow in the tree)
6. VS
7. VS
8. Low slash (10.5 sec, so it should proc duplicity)
9. Maul
10. Assassinate
10.5 Chain shock (if not dead)

Note 1: With the GCD of 1.5 sec, you need 7 (7 * 1.5 = 10.5 sec) attacks including the spike, after which duplicity will proc again for low slash.

Note 2: If any attacks prior to 7 cause duplicity to proc separately, either I try to get around him, or electrocute and then step behind for a maul. Then I follow up w/ low slash and maul... yes his resolve will be full w/ the 3rd stun, but by then he's close to dead.

Note 3: the steps labeled x.5 are optional.

Note 4: If I do end up using shroud, I end up using slow as well, and just skipping the VS... the increased force regen from blackout should allow for a full cost chain shock after step 10.
Spoiler

Gondolindhrim
04.18.2013 , 01:48 PM | #2
An alternative opener using 0/31/15 could be:

1. Spike
2. Maul
2a. Electrocute
2b. Recklessness
3. Discharge
4. Deah Field
5. Shock
6. Thrash*
7. Thrash*
8. Low Slash
9. Crushing Darkness**
10. Maul
11. Assassinate

One advantage being that since you have 3 hard-hitting Force attacks, the burst becomes more front loaded as you don't need to wait for Shock to come off cooldown to consume the third charge of Recklessness.

* You're likely to get a normal Duplicity proc somewhere, so one of the Thrashes will probably be replaced by a Maul (or both if you want to blow Blackout offensively)
** Only in a 1v1 situation where you're very unlikely to get interrupted.
Rheiya | Fyrellis | Kayleen | Adelynn | ydis | Hailey | Lyell | Leonyra
Freiya | Zeyus | Ivaadi | Ellyxia | Shyala | Sugarberry | Ylvie| Syeeda

mrdert
04.18.2013 , 08:14 PM | #3
Here's the opener I like. Some say it claims too muh force, but I disagree due to the 6 seconds of blackout when coming out of stealth.

From stealh:
Recklessness
Maul
Low slash
Maul
Shroud
Discharge
Shock
Assassinate if they're close to death. If they're not damn close to it I just cloak, rinse and repeat.
It is easier for a man to destroy the light inside himself than to fight the darkness all around him.
Allup N'Yoas
come <Play> with us

CBRGhostRider
04.18.2013 , 10:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by mrdert View Post
Here's the opener I like. Some say it claims too muh force, but I disagree due to the 6 seconds of blackout when coming out of stealth.

From stealh:
Recklessness
Maul
Low slash
Maul
Shroud
Discharge
Shock
Assassinate if they're close to death. If they're not damn close to it I just cloak, rinse and repeat.
That's actually nice and simple...

Also, if the first maul procs duplicity, you can have:
recklessness
maul
maul (procced)
low slash
(pause for force regen)
maul
and the rest

dayum...
Spoiler

Astarica
04.18.2013 , 10:13 PM | #5
Maul is not a bad attack to use in general in PvP because of the prevalence of CC. Even without factoring in the regen from Blackout, a lot of time people react to someone coming out of stealth by using a soft CC (say, Flashbang). Since it usually makes very little sense to CC break on such a move, you might as well ride it out and use the most damaging attack first as Maul still hits harder than any other attack and if the enemy makes full use of CC, you will have that 50 Force back by the time it runs out. It is an even easier decision if your CC breaker is down. 4 seconds from a stun is just about enough time to get the 50 Force you lost to Maul, and since you can't break out of it you might as well make use of that first hit. Yes ideally you want to just Force Shroud to counter their CC, but you can't expect every break to go your way every time.

Kawabonga
04.19.2013 , 06:42 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mrdert View Post

From stealh:
Recklessness
Maul
Low slash
Maul
Shroud
Discharge
Shock
Not opening with spike is a waste imho :/ opening with spike+maul+maul would do the same damage but prevent people from ccing as soon as you pop out of stealth. I do this usually:
spike
maul
maul
electrocute
discharge
shock
low slash
maul
assassinate

Recklessness usually at the beginning, blackout is situational

This i do on targets that are being healed. Very few people get to the end of this rotation

Monterone
04.19.2013 , 03:07 PM | #7
I've actually been hitting Recklessness after Spiking out of stealth. But it all depends on what the target is and how long I anticipate the fight to be. Here's why...

Spike is a force attack and will take a charge of Recklessness (FP). While this can be a good thing for triggering an extra 9% crit chance for the Maul that follows, Spike hits for very, very little. I look at it as a waste of a FP charge and it will force me to vanish sooner in order to reset FP, especially if you are forced to use another charge on Force Slow, which we sometimes have to. I'd rather have the charges for Discharge and two Shocks.

With that in mind, I'll usually spike then FP... then go into the rest of the rotation.

Just something to consider.
Saminette . Silk
Satele Shan

Monterone
04.19.2013 , 03:09 PM | #8
Another opener I've been playing with is hit Recklessness and open with a Discharge followed by Low Slash and Maul. From then on continue your regular rotation until 12s are up with Blackout. Then vanish and Spike+Maul out of stealth, followed up by Reck Discharge.

It works well both ways, open with Spike or save Spike for the vanish.
Saminette . Silk
Satele Shan

CBRGhostRider
04.19.2013 , 03:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Monterone View Post
I've actually been hitting Recklessness after Spiking out of stealth. But it all depends on what the target is and how long I anticipate the fight to be. Here's why...

Spike is a force attack and will take a charge of Recklessness (FP). While this can be a good thing for triggering an extra 9% crit chance for the Maul that follows, Spike hits for very, very little. I look at it as a waste of a FP charge and it will force me to vanish sooner in order to reset FP, especially if you are forced to use another charge on Force Slow, which we sometimes have to. I'd rather have the charges for Discharge and two Shocks.

With that in mind, I'll usually spike then FP... then go into the rest of the rotation.

Just something to consider.
Didn't know that...! I just assumed spike was melee, but it makes sense for it to be force so it won't miss. I just assumed it was like low slash.
Spoiler

Monterone
04.19.2013 , 03:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CBRGhostRider View Post
Didn't know that...! I just assumed spike was melee, but it makes sense for it to be force so it won't miss. I just assumed it was like low slash.
Yeah, you shouldn't waste your Spike on a Shrouded sin either, it gets resisted.
Saminette . Silk
Satele Shan