Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HM Monolith tanking issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles
HM Monolith tanking issues

Kuroyo
05.19.2015 , 12:05 PM | #1
To start off, I'm relatively new to tank min/maxing in SWTOR. I follow the dulfy guides which have been suggesting the use of B-mods.

Our strat is to ignore simon says and have a tank take all of the damage from his initial breath. We take one tank, three healers, one dps with taunt to eat a stack of the bite wound, and the rest DPS. The healers have to spam heal tank through breath when he's enraged. Is this tankable with Jugg/Sin and this strat? Has anyone done it? What was gear / cooldown rotation used?

On my PT tank I'm fine -- cooldowns can cover everything.
On my Jugg tank it's squish city. I have to use more CDs to survive and once I'm out of them I'm dead.
Not even tried on my Sin.

All are in 6 set 192. The only major difference is the PT has 198 B-mods whereas the Jugg is still mostly in 192's.

Jugg:
D: 1730
S: 1089
A: 578

PT:
D: 731
S: 1840
A: 961

KeyboardNinja
05.19.2015 , 12:14 PM | #2
Powertechs are by far the best tanks for the cheese strat. Their cooldowns are basically 100% applicable (aside from Oil Slick) and they line up very nicely. Juggernauts are the worst, since they lack the I/E DR and the endurance bonuses of Assassins, while lacking the cooldown timers of Powertechs. Assassins are in the middle.

Honestly, whether or not you survive the cheese strat is more on your healers. The whole fight is on the healers, in fact, regardless of what strategy you use. Make sure the boss isn't rift buffed while enraged, push cooldowns on a schedule and that's basically all you can do.

B mod gearing is indeed optimal.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

KaiserTNT
05.19.2015 , 12:21 PM | #3
I've single-tank cheesed it on assassin a couple times with various groups of healers. Force shroud right as enrage starts to ensure you can get him off any nearby rifts and eat the last ticks of bite wounds without getting globaled. Then roll cooldowns. One tip is to spec into Fade + Shroud on Stealth. During the purple enrage, if it looks like you are about to die (say like 30-40% hp), stealth out and immediately taunt back...the 2 seconds of immunity will give your healers time to put you back to full health. Also, be sure to move your phase walk behind the boss at each rift if you aren't doing that.
Syrgeas (Mara) Hypacia (Sin Tank) Zenoviya(Sin Tank)
Aelyn (Merc) Koenyg(Sniper)Xacson(Op Heals)

Methoxa
05.19.2015 , 03:09 PM | #4
Juggernauts can use Saber Reflect to reflect the breath
Revanchist

Kuroyo
05.19.2015 , 03:41 PM | #5
All:
Thanks for the replies and the hints. I'll try on the Sin and maybe convert Mr. Juggernaut to DPS for this one.

Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Juggernauts can use Saber Reflect to reflect the breath
Yes. I took the talent for 5 second reflect and used it every time it was up for breath (Which is IIRC, ever other.)

I was popping it right before initial breath but that wasn't long enough DR to cover it so I started hitting one of the two and a half minute CDs while moving him to someplace off of a rift and using that later in the cast.

Would a click-relic help with this for the guaranteed CD or is there too much loss from the standard proc relics?

Methoxa
05.19.2015 , 04:34 PM | #6
Actually i am not certain what dmg type his enrage attack was but i believe it was internal dmg, which then would leave every relic except for reactive warding wortheless for a jug.Hit saber reflect AFTER the first hit, it will help healers. If boss stands in a rift its pretty much a wipe. Its actually easier to kill the boss with the tactics.

Another way woulld be to have a pt reflect but i don't know if it does even work in this situation.
Revanchist

Luckygunslinger
05.21.2015 , 07:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Actually i am not certain what dmg type his enrage attack was but i believe it was internal dmg, which then would leave every relic except for reactive warding wortheless for a jug.Hit saber reflect AFTER the first hit, it will help healers. If boss stands in a rift its pretty much a wipe. Its actually easier to kill the boss with the tactics.

Another way woulld be to have a pt reflect but i don't know if it does even work in this situation.
If Saber Reflect Work, PT Reflect works, pretty much how I view it. I solo tanked him Last night, it hurts a lot. Because Juggs are le suck for fights of that situation/nature, it still died though so I don't really care. But with his buff coming next week, simon says will be mandatory since the damage output on the raid will be much much higher than just cheesing.

Also the reason on your jugg that you're squish city:

Quote:
Jugg:
D: 1730
S: 1089
A: 578
That stat distribution is really really bad. Destruction of All cannot be dodged, only resisted or shielded and since your shield and especially absorb are painfully low in comparison to defense which when utilizing Bad Breath strat, becomes a useless stat pretty much, you're going to be melting.

Artorias
5/5 HM Rav - Revanchist - HM ToS 5/5
Rage - Immortal - Guides - Defense - Focus

JouerTue
05.21.2015 , 08:55 AM | #8
i've healed that with a guardian tank, the main issue we had is when enure finishes leaving you with 30% less.
be sure to tell your group when you activate it and address them about how bad is going to be depending on your cds
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

Luckygunslinger
05.21.2015 , 09:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
i've healed that with a guardian tank, the main issue we had is when enure finishes leaving you with 30% less.
be sure to tell your group when you activate it and address them about how bad is going to be depending on your cds
To be fair, that's a given of any tank to tell the healers when Enure is falling off. When I tanked it I did it like so;

Enrage 1: Saber Reflect + Focused Defense + Enure.
Enrage 2: Saber Reflect + Warding Call + Enure.
Enrage 3: Saber Reflect + Scrambling Field + Focused Defense.
Enrage 4: Saber Reflect + Saber Ward + Enure.
Enrage 5: Saber Reflect.

Died 5 seconds into the fifth. I took heavy spikes but Warding Call would be up for the fifth.

Artorias
5/5 HM Rav - Revanchist - HM ToS 5/5
Rage - Immortal - Guides - Defense - Focus