Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taunt with no effect in PvE

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles
Taunt with no effect in PvE

Neketeln
05.14.2015 , 03:27 PM | #1
Lately I noticed that from time to time after using taunt it has no effect on the target. Boss gets the debuff however it does not switch target. It's very rare, but very annoying when it happens, as majority of fights require tank swaps. Of course I'm not talking about specific fight mechanics when you cannot taunt the boss, but fights like Bulo, Torque and so on... I only had this problem in new operations... My co-tank also complained about this issue, but I was wondering if this is something that you guys also experience or is it our imagination

akisgood
05.15.2015 , 02:36 AM | #2
Do you mean the boss ignoring taunt completely and never coming over to you, or just delaying switching or finishing a cast?
Spoon @ (Pot5) Harb/Shadowlands
<Provectus>

HBCentaurion
05.15.2015 , 05:30 AM | #3
From what I've noticed:
- Taunt will have no effect on Torque if you taunt during his Wookie Rage channel and shortly after. I usually wait 1 second after his channel finishes before taunting him.

- Bulo will swtich targets between the two players that have highest aggro on him. Both tanks need to chain there taunts (expecially at the start) so they are at the top of the aggro table.

Neketeln
05.15.2015 , 08:27 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by akisgood View Post
Do you mean the boss ignoring taunt completely and never coming over to you, or just delaying switching or finishing a cast?
Ignoring it completely, like it never happened (even though the debuff from taunt is clearly there)
Quote: Originally Posted by HBCentaurion View Post
From what I've noticed:
- Taunt will have no effect on Torque if you taunt during his Wookie Rage channel and shortly after. I usually wait 1 second after his channel finishes before taunting him.

- Bulo will swtich targets between the two players that have highest aggro on him. Both tanks need to chain there taunts (expecially at the start) so they are at the top of the aggro table.
We are not swapping during Wooke Rage, so thats not it. I'm not talking about taunting him during Scatter Blaster, as it's part of the mechanic that he will switch targets during that phase. As I wrote before, mechanics are out of the question as we are aware of those. What I meant using fights like Bulo or Torque as example, was that during those fights there are phases when you can taunt and no mechanic should prevent it, but somehow boss is not taking you as his target.

akisgood
05.15.2015 , 09:36 AM | #5
I can't say I've noticed that mate... don't usually tank though.
Spoon @ (Pot5) Harb/Shadowlands
<Provectus>

KeyboardNinja
05.15.2015 , 10:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Neketeln View Post
We are not swapping during Wooke Rage, so thats not it. I'm not talking about taunting him during Scatter Blaster, as it's part of the mechanic that he will switch targets during that phase. As I wrote before, mechanics are out of the question as we are aware of those. What I meant using fights like Bulo or Torque as example, was that during those fights there are phases when you can taunt and no mechanic should prevent it, but somehow boss is not taking you as his target.
The only time where you can taunt in Bulo and he won't take the taunt is if a) you have 3 stacks of Scatter Blaster, or b) you have the accuracy debuff from carrying too many barrels. At all other times, he will accept the taunt.

Honestly, I've never seen what you're talking about. Taunts have always had weird timing issues in this game, but that just comes with the territory and it's nothing new. I've tanked every boss in this tier many many times over the last few months, and I haven't seen anything like what you're describing. Do you have a stream that you could highlight or similar that shows what you're experiencing?
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

Neketeln
05.15.2015 , 12:02 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Taunts have always had weird timing issues in this game, but that just comes with the territory and it's nothing new. I've tanked every boss in this tier many many times over the last few months, and I haven't seen anything like what you're describing. Do you have a stream that you could highlight or similar that shows what you're experiencing?
Unfortunately I don't stream/record the fights (maybe after some hardware upgrades...), so for now I'm afraid that I have no simple way to show you any example. To be honest, its not like its happening all the time, until yesterday I noticed it only once or twice and I thought that maybe I made some mistake or the other tank taunt the boss at the same time, but since it happened again I wanted to know if you guys had some issues with it. If you say that you didn't observe anything like what I described then I will try and pay even more attention to all the fights, maybe something slipped my mind... but please keep this in mind next time you take on the 'new' content

KeyboardNinja
05.15.2015 , 12:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Neketeln View Post
Unfortunately I don't stream/record the fights (maybe after some hardware upgrades...), so for now I'm afraid that I have no simple way to show you any example. To be honest, its not like its happening all the time, until yesterday I noticed it only once or twice and I thought that maybe I made some mistake or the other tank taunt the boss at the same time, but since it happened again I wanted to know if you guys had some issues with it. If you say that you didn't observe anything like what I described then I will try and pay even more attention to all the fights, maybe something slipped my mind... but please keep this in mind next time you take on the 'new' content
I'll watch for it, and I'll ask around in guild to see if anyone else has seen issues.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

UTlNNl
05.17.2015 , 06:36 PM | #9
There's a spot in the Bulo fight when minecarts go to the tank with aggro right after Scatter Blaster finishes. If I taunt during the few seconds after the cast finishes while I still have the debuff from Scatter Blaster to get the boss off my co-tank- so he can deal with the carts freely- Bulo usually won't react.

Don't think I've had anything like that on Torque though.

Torvai
05.18.2015 , 03:08 AM | #10
Never realised anything like that really. It happens on rare occasions when a boss like pearl for example has an untauntable debuff and looses it. But I guess this has something to do with server sync.
Other than that, the only thing close to it is the ocassional missing mass taunt on Underlurker.

Oh and for Bulo: one of the tanks gets a debuff that prevents you from gaining aggro as long as it lasts after scatter blast. I just don't know how it works exactly.