Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Project Tanking

Vaidinah
04.14.2015 , 11:36 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jethsidi View Post
Your voice is added to the masses of Juggernauts who tell me how useless Endure Pain is, so I figured I would share how I use it to see if it helps.

There is an old adage about how Endurance stacking tanks are basically "damage sponges", so I use EP in the same capacity. It is a sponge, meant to absorb a certain amount of incoming damage. It also mas a 1 minute cooldown, which makes it incredibly versatile in this capacity.
I.E. when I know I am about to take a giant hit (10k or more) I will pop EP right before it as 18-20k hit will not become a 1-3k hit (if you think about it like a sponge). EP soaks up the damage and leaves your actual health level barely touched. Then you have 20s for your healers to top you off before it wears off (calling out when it is going down is a great help to them).
I use it this way and have gotten positive feedback all around for hits like Blaster's knockback, Kephess's jump during Brontes, Ruugar about to do a Cull (when I have DoTs and nothing else to use), Underluker's big hits, and intermittently using it on Sparky for Slam/Throw.

Might be just me though.
When I say I use it as back-up for emergencies, I mean I use it when I get low and/or when I'm at medium health and I'm about to take a burst of damage. Endure Pain does not absorb or mitigate any damage and it's important also to remove it before it ends in the vast majority of cases. This is because your healers can actually heal you past your normal max health and any heals that go to you beyond that point are completely wasted. The fake health you have will be removed once the skill ends and if not manually removed, you will actually have done more to hurt your team than help it even if some people may not realize the problem. This is one of the reasons why Endure Pain is a terrible defensive cooldown and should be used only in situations like I mentioned above and not on any kind of regular basis.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

TACeMossie
04.15.2015 , 02:51 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
on my Assassin it's a medpac (since you can re-use them by stealthing)
Random Fact: Purple Anodyne Medpacks do not have the 1-per-fight limit, so you could pick a better option for sins if you wanted.
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

Jethsidi
04.15.2015 , 06:43 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
This is one of the reasons why Endure Pain is a terrible defensive cooldown and should be used only in situations like I mentioned above and not on any kind of regular basis.
On this I will completely disagree with you, but I believe it is merely a matter of perspective, I will simply say: "to each their own".
Don't ever learn how to tank.
They won't let you do anything else once they know you are good at it.