I wanna start a Tank

roberthen

Hi there all

I came back to SWTOR after some time with 35e pack. I have Marauder and Sage, they are both fun to play, but I wanna start something new. I used to tank a lot in Wo... (the competing game) on the heroic dungeons and LFR (something like finder SM ops) level, so I have some experience, but there is many things for me to learn.

I decided to play a tanking class for the mere purpose of fun gameplay. I think I don´t wanna play Jugg/Guardian, for being somewhat simmilar to marauder, So I am deciding between Vanguard and Assassin.

Which class could be better for semi-experienced tank, with intension to learn as much as possible in FP, and later HM FP and SM ops enviroment. I would like to ask some experienced tanks, much likely the one who played more tanking classes during his/her gameplay

Thanks for your answer

Hi there all

I came back to SWTOR after some time with 35e pack. I have Marauder and Sage, they are both fun to play, but I wanna start something new. I used to tank a lot in Wo... (the competing game) on the heroic dungeons and LFR (something like finder SM ops) level, so I have some experience, but there is many things for me to learn.

I decided to play a tanking class for the mere purpose of fun gameplay. I think I don´t wanna play Jugg/Guardian, for being somewhat simmilar to marauder, So I am deciding between Vanguard and Assassin.

Which class could be better for semi-experienced tank, with intension to learn as much as possible in FP, and later HM FP and SM ops enviroment. I would like to ask some experienced tanks, much likely the one who played more tanking classes during his/her gameplay

Thanks for your answer

Vanguard is going to be your best bet starting out while you learn the fights and how to tank. They are very durable and you wont notice spike damage as much as you would on the other two tanks. They also have an array of ranged abilities that the other tanks don't have access to, so you have a lot of playroom to weave in and out to grab enemies. Their AoE is the best out of the three tanks, and once you learn the basics of the class you shouldn't have a problem keeping everything beating on you.

As others have said Pt/Vg have solid defensive state and can cheese mechanics with HO/HTL too soo they're solid tanks with good/mediocre healers and decent dps

Edit: btw Milas and everyday from Zorz who cleared all contet world first have great guides on dulfy.net along with video guides for th HM fights for when you're ready that of course

Edited by MASOLIZ

Not a veteran by any means, but I think one factor is whether you want to go PvP-heavy or not. I find that tanking in PvE with a Sith Juggernaut is really fun and works well, but it is a pain in PvP as you face so many stuns and movement impairments comparatively to PvE. So in PvP I think the Powertech/Vanguard would be a lot more ideal, as you can at least fire when your movement is impaired. I sometimes feel so helpless with the Juggernaut and I cannot move.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a veteran by any means, but I think one factor is whether you want to go PvP-heavy or not. I find that tanking in PvE with a Sith Juggernaut is really fun and works well, but it is a pain in PvP as you face so many stuns and movement impairments comparatively to PvE. So in PvP I think the Powertech/Vanguard would be a lot more ideal, as you can at least fire when your movement is impaired. I sometimes feel so helpless with the Juggernaut and I cannot move.

When 3.2 comes out, Jugg tanks will have access to a stun immunity on Force Charge so many of the pvp issues will be resolved. As for the OP's question, I have played a Jugg tank since early private beta and it is a fun tank to play. We are a little more of a pain in the *** to gear compared to say a PT tank but we have some of the best CDs in the game and we are rock solid on survivability. PTs do have much more mobility then a Jugg and a little more utility because of abilities such as Hydraulic override and having both a pull and a charge. I also do find PT tanking a little easier then Jugg and Sin tanking but I also feel my jugg tank can take more of a pounding then my PT can. In the end it will be up to what type of tank style you feel more comfortable with.

I am trying to make this very same decision. My friend and I are going to role new toons on a more pop heavy server. I want to be a tank. I also want some fun dmg off-specs.

-Assassin/Shadow: I have played this and it is super fun. Stealth adds some cool utility and solo-able things no one else can do. Front facing/insta-cast 'Maul' and 'project' are awesome.

-Guardian/Juggernaut: I have no idea but it looks a little more boring than the other two. Everyone loves 'masterstrike'.

-Powertecht/Vanguard: I have only played this as a tank for one flashpoint and I found it pretty fun. 'Railshot' is the coolest sounding ability in the game hands down.

All three are viable and cool which makes the decision harder, not easier. It would be easy if one stood out leagues above the rest.

Shadow/Assassin

I've played a Shadow tank since launch, the class is definitely my favorite, I like the normal energy bar mechanic of it and the mix of melee and force skills. It can lack some range, there are moment where I would prefer a straight up 30m skill rather than needing to activate Force Potency for it.

Force Speed is very useful, but again, sometimes the ability to just jump to a target would be nice. However I wouldn't ever want to swap it for a leap skill, Force Speed is useful for more than just closing the ground with an enemy.

Never actually played as a DPS with this class though, so couldn't tell you what the off-specs are like.

Guardian/Juggernaut

I have these, but it is my least favorite class in the game, mainly because of the annoying energy mechanic. Once you've capped out and fleshed out your discipline energy building is less of a concern, especially for a tank, but it still annoys me no end. Seems to be the most common tank class though.

Vanguard/Powertech

These are great fun, really enjoy playing on my Powertech as both tank and DPS. Especially since 3.0 and the new flame thrower skill which just burns everything away in front of you. Has grapple, has leap, has some 30m range skills and some very nice AOE. I actually think it is the most versatile of the tanks.

My advice though is to simply play whichever one you actually enjoy playing the most. Tanking can be frustrating and unrewarding quite often in SWTOR, especially if you decide to PUG an OPS (which I would never suggest you do). If you're getting annoyed with your class on top of that, then it will just make things worse.

All three classes are viable tanks, all three are viable DPS and all three are viable in both PvE and PvP.

Edited by darkov