Proper Tank Mods/Enhancements

-LordSovereign-

After the release of 5.2 with the 246 and 248 gear, I've noticed a clear lack of interest in helping all the Tanks in game gear easier. Let's be honest, to properly play an Assassin Tank in SWTOR, you need to have 3 different types of gear. Obviously the 6 piece tank set piece armoring, power mod (high endurance or high power), and high endurance enhancements. There is NO SUCH THING as high endurance 248 enhancement! I do not want Defense as a high stat on my Assassin tank since the Diminishing Return is considerably low. If I were to use full 248 gear, my health will be very low compared to the DPS in the group. This HAS to change in order to keep people interesting in tanking operations at Veteran/Master Mode level. If you're interest is to keep releasing New Operations Bosses then you will need capable tanks for these. I strongly suggest you help ALL TANKS gear easier in order to keep the Veteran/Master Mode Operations alive.

-Knife

Harbinger Server

You can't deny the fact that with the upper tiers of gear there is less room for configuration and boss specific countermeasures due to gear restrictions. Sub-optimization simply reduces the player experience, plus hurts team content. Simply having the option open to players will open more content, more guides, more discussion that will allow the game to thrive.

My follow up is a simple solution would be to add a vendor in which you can "sell" your 246 & 248 tank enhancements for a token. You can then take this token to purchase tank enhancement of your choice.

Perhaps, it should be further restricted to only sell an absorb enhancement for another absorb enhancement and a shield for a shield. Since we are on this topic, the same vendor could also allow the exchange of unlettered mods for "B" mods. It should be an easier solution that do NOT have to result in lots of code change and make a happy player base.

Thank you!

1). There has always been a disparity between the hifh endurance vs mitigation mods/enhancements for tanks. Up through KOTET, you had to pull high endurance mods/enh/implants/earrings from 220 gear instead of the 224 end game tank gear.

2). If balance is met, and the encounters on VM and MM are completable with by performing the proper mechanics using 240 crafted mods/enh, there is no need to offer 246 or 248 high end mods/enhancements.

3). And btw, the 240 high endurance mods/enh still theorycraft better results than the 248 mitigation alternatives.

Edited by olagatonjedi

1). There has always been a disparity between the hifh endurance vs mitigation mods/enhancements for tanks. Up through KOTET, you had to pull high endurance mods/enh/implants/earrings from 220 gear instead of the 224 end game tank gear.

Just because something has always been 1 way doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be changed. I tanked all through 4.0 and the only thing I did differently was pull the 220 B Mods to supplement my full 224 gear; that was optimal, the non 224 left side pieces they introduced at the tail end of 4.0 was just a cheaper/quicker alternative to gearing either new tanks or people's tank alt's.

2). If balance is met, and the encounters on VM and MM are completable with by performing the proper mechanics using 240 crafted mods/enh, there is no need to offer 246 or 248 high end mods/enhancements.

I think the idea that there is "no need to offer" the newer mods & enhancements for tanks just because content is clear-able with our current 240 mods and enhancements is a little ridiculous. The fact that every other class can optimally gear without having to resort going the crafted route is already a tax on those who tank and for those trying to get into tanking. Not to mention the amount of stats pretty much all tanks are having to sacrifice by not running the updated mods and enhancements compared to everyone else.

3). And btw, the 240 high endurance mods/enh still theorycraft better results than the 248 mitigation alternatives.

I'm pretty sure any tank who know's what they're doing already knows this but again that is not reason enough for Bioware to withhold releasing the new 246 crafted mods & enhancements. Again, while everyone else is upgrading there gear and taking advantage of all the extra stats, tanks are left having to either 1.) just pull the new armoring's to replace the old 240/242's and lose out on the stat increase from new mods / enh's or 2.) supplementing there gear with the newer 246/248 Lethal Mods and maybe even 246/248 Crit enhancements so that they don't lose out on all the additional stats. And don't even get me started about how we have to go about collecting additional DPS mods and enhancements when we're trying to collect tanking gear.

If the same was happening with DD & Healers, this thread would be pages long. Imagine lack of high power Mods/Enhancements for the top tier gear, but only at a tier of gear below?

Yes, this is how "things" have always been, tanks had ot use a crafted tier below, but 240->242->246 (not craftable)->248 they are much lower than 1 simple tier of gear now. If they do not want to allow 246 to be craftable at this time, a simple exchange would solve this. In all honestly, it would be grateful for DD & Healers, personally, I get 5 pairs of Boots for my crates, I'd love to trade my extra 248 Accuracy Enhancements for Alacrity or critical now that I think about it.

Just because something has always been 1 way doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be changed. I tanked all through 4.0 and the only thing I did differently was pull the 220 B Mods to supplement my full 224 gear; that was optimal, the non 224 left side pieces they introduced at the tail end of 4.0 was just a cheaper/quicker alternative to gearing either new tanks or people's tank alt's.

I think the idea that there is "no need to offer" the newer mods & enhancements for tanks just because content is clear-able with our current 240 mods and enhancements is a little ridiculous. The fact that every other class can optimally gear without having to resort going the crafted route is already a tax on those who tank and for those trying to get into tanking. Not to mention the amount of stats pretty much all tanks are having to sacrifice by not running the updated mods and enhancements compared to everyone else.

I'm pretty sure any tank who know's what they're doing already knows this but again that is not reason enough for Bioware to withhold releasing the new 246 crafted mods & enhancements. Again, while everyone else is upgrading there gear and taking advantage of all the extra stats, tanks are left having to either 1.) just pull the new armoring's to replace the old 240/242's and lose out on the stat increase from new mods / enh's or 2.) supplementing there gear with the newer 246/248 Lethal Mods and maybe even 246/248 Crit enhancements so that they don't lose out on all the additional stats. And don't even get me started about how we have to go about collecting additional DPS mods and enhancements when we're trying to collect tanking gear.

It sounds as though you would prefer that Bioware break their own balanced system just so you can have linear rating on gear. If the game is balance already, why would they add extra stats that could potentially alter the balance of the game further, requiring more tweaks?

Adequate tanking gear has always been relatively easy to acquire, because the tank is the bread and butter of end-game instances, and tanks need to be given an opportunity to acquire gear slightly faster than the rest of the roles so they can focus more on learning tanking mechanics of the fights, let alone be available for ops to get started in the first place. Crafting and "lower level" gear that is best in slot is a good way to accomplish this, because there is much less farming involved with getting a tank adequately geared to give the rest of the raid a chance to be successful.

I just don't agree that bioware should break their product because you want them to. If the stats that are currently on the gear create balance, then why change them?

How is getting tank gear any easier than getting dps or heal stuff? Drop rates in the boxes are the same, drops off boxes are unassembled so you can get literally whatever. Honestly at this point my dps set is "better" than my tank set, since I've gotten some 248 pieces for dps and am mostly running 240 high endurance mods/enh in the tank set.

That said, i find it annoying but hardly breaking. I do wish they'd put the stuff in to make 246 gear craftable. It's irritating thst dps/heals can be perfectly optimized at 248 now. While my most effective build has to wait for them to release a mat.

How is getting tank gear any easier than getting dps or heal stuff? Drop rates in the boxes are the same, drops off boxes are unassembled so you can get literally whatever. Honestly at this point my dps set is "better" than my tank set, since I've gotten some 248 pieces for dps and am mostly running 240 high endurance mods/enh in the tank set.

That said, i find it annoying but hardly breaking. I do wish they'd put the stuff in to make 246 gear craftable. It's irritating thst dps/heals can be perfectly optimized at 248 now. While my most effective build has to wait for them to release a mat.

You pretty much answered your own question. 240 gear was made available long before 248 gear, so whether or not you feel your dps is better geared than your tank is irrelevant, the endurance 240 mod/enh, best in slot, were available before your dps best in slot 248 mod/enh were. Seems to me that means it was easier to acquire. Your tank had at least a 4 month (?) head start on gearing up best in slot.

Edited by olagatonjedi

You pretty much answered your own question. 240 gear was made available long before 248 gear, so whether or not you feel your dps is better geared than your tank is irrelevant, the endurance 240 mod/enh, best in slot, were available before your dps best in slot 248 mod/enh were. Seems to me that means it was easier to acquire. Your tank had at least a 4 month (?) head start on gearing up best in slot.

My point was they are hurting tanks more than anyone by making us wait for 246 craftable mods. If you're dps or healer, you want the 248 unlettered mods anyway. The 240 were here first because they are tier 3, which is lower than tier 4. That said I'm no NiM raider so not like it makes thst big a difference anyway. Just mildly irritating

How are they hurting tanks?

Because if you dps or heal you really want the 248 anyway. As it stands now the 240 b mods are more useful than the 248 tanking ones. Ergo we are stuck one tier below the dps and healers.

Because if you dps or heal you really want the 248 anyway. As it stands now the 240 b mods are more useful than the 248 tanking ones. Ergo we are stuck one tier below the dps and healers.

If the 240B mods are more useful, by your own admission, how are they 1 tier below? BiS is BiS, regardless of rating.

If the 240B mods are more useful, by your own admission, how are they 1 tier below? BiS is BiS, regardless of rating.

Because 246 Bulwark and Bastion Enhancements and B Mods are better than both as 248 equivalent don't exist and better stats than 240. Problem is the 246 versions can only be crafted and only when 5.3 drops . Hence why it's kind of silly to wait till 5.3 to release all this stuff. In any case they should just make Bulwark and Bastion And B Mods Default for tank gear at this point.

Edited by FerkWork

Community managers have explained to the community that with patch 5.3 we will be able to reengineer 248's and via crew skills craft the missing items once we learn the schematics. It is not possible at this time.

Use the 240's and we will be fine. 248's will just make it easier when available.

Community managers have explained to the community that with patch 5.3 we will be able to reengineer 248's and via crew skills craft the missing items once we learn the schematics. It is not possible at this time.

Use the 240's and we will be fine. 248's will just make it easier when available.

Wait wot? RE 248 or 246?

Ok.... But that's Irrelevant since 248 gear for DPS and heals which is optimized is freely available and trivializes content far more. It's just dumb too wait a few months for tank gear can be on par with Heals and DPS. But whatevs. It's 246 though.

Edited by FerkWork

Community managers have explained to the community that with patch 5.3 we will be able to reengineer 248's and via crew skills craft the missing items once we learn the schematics.

This is the first time I hear about it. Source?

Edited by Eli_Porter

Ok.... But that's Irrelevant since 248 gear for DPS and heals which is optimized is freely available and trivializes content far more. It's just dumb too wait a few months for tank gear can be on par with Heals and DPS. But whatevs. It's 246 though.

This is what I've been trying to say the while time. Yes I realize that 240 stuff is the best we can do now. But seriously making us wait for a mat to be released in 5.3 to get gear upgrades that dps can do now is irritating. Again not game breaking or even difficult by any stretch of the imagination. Just another example of why I started learning a dps spec (the others being the flashpoints all going tactical and guards given to dps specs in pvp, for whatever that's worth).

Because 246 Bulwark and Bastion Enhancements and B Mods are better than both as 248 equivalent don't exist and better stats than 240. Problem is the 246 versions can only be crafted and only when 5.3 drops . Hence why it's kind of silly to wait till 5.3 to release all this stuff. In any case they should just make Bulwark and Bastion And B Mods Default for tank gear at this point.

This has always been the way swtor, and mmos in general work. They release better equipment gradually, and often times not evenly across all roles, while keeping the difficulty of content the same. Mark my word, when 6.0 is evetually here, there will be a similar post by someone else too. Hell, you can probably go back and check 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 and see the trend.

This has always been the way swtor, and mmos in general work. They release better equipment gradually, and often times not evenly across all roles, while keeping the difficulty of content the same. Mark my word, when 6.0 is evetually here, there will be a similar post by someone else too. Hell, you can probably go back and check 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 and see the trend.

In my case the annoyance is coming from the fact that I can't actually get 246 crafted mods/enhancements yet. Give me 246 b mods and I'll shut up instantly. Again though I'm here for complaining purposes. In the meantime my dps set is getting pretty decent since I have little point opening crates in tank spec just to get armorings.