Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah hell, the thread got moved to Stories and Lore. Wat?

Only got a few, but this thread has been in the Story and Lore forum since pretty much the first incarnation. This is one of two redirects about SGRs. One of them is in General under the title, "Did I hear this right?" The other is here.

Welcome to our back of the bus. :(

I maintain we were never allowed on the bus.

It looks like the entirety of Bioware's support and communications team has disappeared, except for a select few, over the weekend. Why is that?

Maintenance team are taking the night off as well, apparently - no mention of it.

"Did I hear this right" seldom remains visible on the front of General, not because people don't post to it but because once problem posts are culled back to the last bit on topic, it's place in the list is by newest surviving post, inevitably much older than more recent discussion in other threads, so you kind of have to dig for it. On any other topic, once a thread is so deeply buried it is generally okay to start a new one, but I would not recommend it in this case.

Not a lot that I can say here that hasn't already been said.

Just returned to TOR after a few months away and I personaly do hope that this is coming. I loved how BW handled this in its past games, made for some very interesting situations in ME.

As far as how people will take it, boo bloody hoo, people will take it the way they do, there will not be riots in the street, you won't see people on parade, it will happen, people will talk, may gain some fans may lose some oh well thats business.

BW has shown its willingness not to conform to the norm or what people expect before, ME proved that in a million ways through all three games. Some old man on a battle star said some times you gotta roll a hard six, if BW does this great, new shooter coming out.

I'm for same gender relationships, IF the companion is written homosexual /bisexual and so on. I don't like idea that the developers make the characters sexuality up to the player. Ofcourse you should be able to flirt, but the player should have to be denied in some situations.

For instance when the Agent can flirt with the watcher on Dromund Kaas, if you're character is an alien, she rejects the player. I really liked that, it added a layer of believability to the game. You can't have everything you want.

I'm for same gender relationships, IF the companion is written homosexual /bisexual and so on. I don't like idea that the developers make the characters sexuality up to the player. Ofcourse you should be able to flirt, but the player should have to be denied in some situations.

For instance when the Agent can flirt with the watcher on Dromund Kaas, if you're character is an alien, she rejects the player. I really liked that, it added a layer of believability to the game. You can't have everything you want.

Is that otherwise generally true of existing opposite-gender romantic content (honest question - I have not explored it)? If not, then should same-gender content be handled differently in that regard?

Is that otherwise generally true of existing opposite-gender romantic content (honest question - I have not explored it)? If not, then should same-gender content be handled differently in that regard?

You mean if, in the current game, you can be denied by the oposite sex? I'm not sure, the two classes I've played gave me at least one to romance. But I'm not sure I like it the way it is either, the perfect thing would be if you could attempt to romance everyone, and the outcome would depend on the target character, and how charismatic your player character is. But that's not how it works here, you're given very few choices in conversations all together.

I'm not sure that it is in any of the actual companion romance arcs, though I believe a couple of classes get a one-night stand with a companion and nothing more. There are, however, quite a few opposite-gender flirts with other NPCs that get shot down. I don't recall there being any actual companion storylines where it's possible to keep on flirting with the companion and they just keep saying no.

(If anyone has encountered a companion story arc where this actually happens, feel free to correct me.)

Why?

I've always respected BioWare for at least making an effort to include options for everyone, but I've never understood the need to place limits on it. I don't understand why my Femshep couldn't romance Tali, for example.

As early as Mass Effect 1, I never understood why they didn't just make the romances non-gender specific. As it was, if your character was a hetero male, he got 2 choices. If your character was a hetero female, she got 1. If your character was a gay female, she got 1, and if your character was a gay male, he was left out in the cold with no romance.

Not exactly what I'd call equality, but at least they tried.

Mass Effect 2 tried to be a little more inclusive, but actually ended up exacerbating the problem.

Male hetero: 3 Full fledged romances, 1 non-companion, 2 long distance romances, 1 "It's not you, it's me", 1 Black Widow

Female hetero: 3 Full fledged romances, 1 long distance romance

Female gay: 1 long distance romance, 1 non-companion, 1 "It's not you it's me", 1 Black Widow

Male gay: Nope, still nothing.

Mass Effect 3 made the most effort to be inclusive, but let's look at the scoreboard:

Male hetero: 3 Companion romances, 2 Former companion romances, 2 non-companion

Female hetero: 2 companion romances

Female gay: 1 companion romance, 3 non-companion

Male gay: 1 companion romance, 1 non-companion

Everything could have so easily been all equal if they just made the romance options non-gender specific from the start. It would be fair, and inclusive, and entirely up to the player who to romance.

I don't see how it's fair to dictate which parts of the game I'm allowed to see based on my gender preference. Yes, I know in real life not everyone is open to a romance with everyone, but this isn't real life. This is a game.

The entire premise of BioWare's games is to take the story they want to tell and mold it into the story you want to hear. You make decisions and choices and mold their story into the variation on it that's right for you. Why can't that extend to the romance arcs? I see no good reason.

If you're concerned about being hit on by every character because any of them can be a romance option, the simple solution is to make the romance arc not start unless the player makes the first move.

Further, by insisting that a companion be specifically written as bisexual or gay, you are placing a lot of limits upon the feature. How are they going to do that? Is it going to just be one token gay character that every class can get, like HK-51? If so, which gender is getting left out in the cold like the gay males in Mass Effect 1 and 2?

Even if they include one of each gender, what if I don't like the companion they created for SGRAs? I'm left out in the cold because I only have one choice, where as hetero avatars have 8 or more by virtue of class choice?

If these SGRAs are entirely new companions, how much will they interact with the game's story? Are these to be like the characters in Mass Effect that were gay/bi but you only really had a snippet of story revolving around that?

I should be able to experience every romance in the game regardless of my gender choice. Anything short of that is not fair and equal. It's just token inclusiveness.

PvP and Space missions. It seems Makeb is not coming this year.

Ok, that sucks. But I guess a certain person still waiting for spanish background music to be implemented is happy now for getting more PVP content to play around with.

I hate PvP by the way. But I won't go to threads for PvP lovers and claim it doesn't benefit me, so it should be gone.

Why, oh why.... :rolleyes:

PvP and Space missions. It seems Makeb is not coming this year.

Well, considering that this is up on the PTS not even a week after 1.5 went live on the regular servers, I'm hoping that it's only "1.6 Part 1", so to speak.

Like how 1.5 on PTS initially didn't have the F2P content.

"I wish, I wish, I wish..."

Well, considering that this is up on the PTS not even a week after 1.5 went live on the regular servers, I'm hoping that it's only "1.6 Part 1", so to speak.

Like how 1.5 on PTS initially didn't have the F2P content.

"I wish, I wish, I wish..."

I briefly considered that as well. I'm in a bit of funk this evening, don't mind me :/

(No milk=no tea=sad panda)

So 1.6 was announced, nothing at all to do with story content, I don't want to call BiOWare liars, but BiOWare are liars.

Yeah, but we knew that already.

I have to say, reading the boards, I'm wondering just why I'm staying with this game. Bioware just seems to be... ugh, not very nice or bothered.

Yeah, but we knew that already.

I have to say, reading the boards, I'm wondering just why I'm staying with this game. Bioware just seems to be... ugh, not very nice or bothered.

Not really, considering they do have separate teams for separate areas of the game content, so who the hell knows, I certainly don't, some clarification in general about story would be fan-bloody-tastic.

Other game companies are worse, believe me, but of course that doesn't make it any better. I'm still giving them the benefit of doubt that they're still working on them and won't give us SGRA before they're quality content. I'm that naive, I guess.

So 1.6 was announced, nothing at all to do with story content, I don't want to call BiOWare liars, but BiOWare are liars.

They never put a number on Makeb - that is, it was never explicitly stated that it would be 1.6. That said, 1.6 does not seem to be Makeb, which is supposed to be the big story update, which we have been led to suppose would include same-gender romance.

Whether Makeb will indeed make it into the game this year looks doubtful now, and what faint gleam of optimism I had for them keeping their word is vanishing fast. So if I go silent here, it's because I no longer care to keep up a subscription or because I have stacked up enough infractions asking about this that I got banned. At this point, I really don't care which.