CM items vs actually playing the game.

Philastra

So its increasingly apparent with all the CM updates that you, BW is strying further from your gameplay and moving torward this...

"Hey you want that cool item, Legacy crystal, Gear or w/e you like, all you have to do now is open your wallet and pay for them, no longer do you actually have to play the game and do boring quests that we spent millions on creating."

So as a subbed player what are you guys putting in for us. I know its probably a lot less resource intensive to just make new CM items and the game needed some more cash flow but what as a subbed player to the game do I/we get for our sub. Sure you can say unlimited FP's/WZ's/experience gains ect. but these are basic game functions. Do you have any intent on expanding items for crafters, or quest rewards(I saw in the patch note some old quests are now giving some new rewards).

From looking through the forums there is a quite large number of subbed players wanting more in game content and items that can be earned through gameplay not paying more on top of our sub. I heard in an interview one of you called the new CM items "content" I fully disagree that this is content. Its not in any way shape or form. Content is somthing you do in game to earn a reward and have fun doing it. Content is NOT opening your wallet for that crystal, mask, or speeder. Content is somthing you spend time doing in game, not hitting the CM icon and clicking purchase.

In that same interveiw a player of the game commented that he payed through the nose to get his Revan mask, Jeff Hickman thought that was really funny, why was that so funny? You guys really need to give subbed players a way to earn desirable items such as that through gameplay that is called content.

I'm not against selling those for RL money through micro-transactions and i'm glad you guys are making more income by doing that. However at least you should balance between the CM and in game play and maybe you will start doing that but the actions of BW certianly is saying somthing different.

As a sub I would love to see some of those new items obtainable through gameplay, as of now you dont even have have to do quests to gain REP with different factions, you just completly monatized that whole system, why? As a sub whats the reason to spend questing gaining this when wallet warriors can just buy thier way to the top.You, BW, is heading in a direction that is basically punishing the subbed player who likes to spend time "grinding" these type of thing in game to say hey look I spent the time to do this and look what I got as a reward.

So as a subbed player, beyond basic gameplay functions, and 500-700 CM coins a month whats is there? Whats the point of exploring the game doing quests when you you are seemingly neglecting your game and the subbed player.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To those who think the game is fine and I like opening my wallet for items because its easy and I dont have to do quests those are your opinions and thats the way you wanna play. For others paying a sub and getting or earning things in game through quests or other gameplay is enjoyable and is why we play games. Edited by Philastra

Until now i had middle ground in this arguement didnt complain either way as the other cartel packs were crap and made fast as hell.

This new one AMAZING, stuff in it AMAZGING, time spend TONS and now i find myself spending 70$ on 24, hows about a 12 pack that would be nice.

Buy yea /signed OP

So Eric I saw your post in another thread, and because ppl can sell the items on the GTN which just inflates the economy more buy allowing the CM items bought with RL cash to be sold this is content? Explain to me how this is content I really want to know. Edited by Philastra

To those who think the game is fine and I like opening my wallet for items because its easy and I dont have to do quests those are your opinions and thats the way you wanna play. For others paying a sub and getting or earning things in game through quests or other gameplay is enjoyable and is why we play games.

So? I'm a subscriber, I don't buy many things on the cartel market (exception: rocket boots). But I don't get all this angst about the cartel market. It's the path EA/Bioware chose to take THEIR game. All any of us can do is enjoy the game in it's current iteration or find something else to do (i.e., quit).

I personally am still enjoying the game with it's focus on the cash shop. The day that changes I'll give it up. We all have those same choices. Posting rants about how the game is no longer satisfactory for you is pointless. If the game no longer meets your expectations, vote with your wallet and don't give them your money anymore. All the posts like this in world aren't going to change the direction SWTOR is and has been going.

Uzi I respect your thoughts and you are mostly right and if this continues I will leave as its looking many others will. however I voice my opinions because its whats forums are and my post is not really a rant. I and many others want more content not CM items that they dub as content. Some are happy with it some not. The forums is teh place to voice that.

BW you have an amazing game, remember your roots, BTW where did Minsc hide that gerbil/hamster (Boo) anyway? This was the game that got me wanting to play MMO's in the first place. I thought man how cool would it be to play somthing like this with others and to my surprise that type of game existed already and became an MMO player ever since.

Edited by Philastra

Guilty of charge! I did spend some money on CM, I bought mainly complete armor set because I wanted a certain look for my toons, and for my assassin I combined CM item and ingame content to get an original look, using unify color, I did received pretty good comments on the look too!

I do agree as well all the way with you and what you are talking about is totally true! For me I do every quest I can and keep the adaptative armor pieces in bank and that is why I was able to create my original look on my assassin! I tried to buy some of those pieces int the Galactic market but the one I wanted were just like way out of my rich right in game, you know people asking over a million credits per pieces so forget it! out of reach ingame but not out of reach from my pockets! I mean the choice was not too hard for me to do!

Anyway I still think that you are right and I agree with you!

In that same interveiw a player of the game commented that he payed through the nose to get his Revan mask, Jeff Hickman thought that was really funny, why was that so funny? You guys really need to give subbed players a way to earn desirable items such as that through gameplay that is called content.

I'm not against selling those for RL money through micro-transactions and i'm glad you guys are making more income by doing that. However at least you should balance between the CM and in game play and maybe you will start doing that but the actions of BW certianly is saying somthing different.

You need to watch that part of the interview again. The person with the question was talking about them using the GTN to determine the popularity of Cartel Market items for developing future items and he commented about paying through the nose on the GTN for Revan's Mask....not paying real-life money. So, he did earn it through gameplay by saving up credits.

Without people spending money on the Cartel Market and subsidizing the game, then there is no game. People need to realize that and quit trying to discourage people from spending money on Cartel Coins.

You need to watch that part of the interview again. The person with the question was talking about them using the GTN to determine the popularity of Cartel Market items for developing future items and he commented about paying through the nose on the GTN for Revan's Mask....not paying real-life money. So, he did earn it through gameplay by saving up credits.

Without people spending money on the Cartel Market and subsidizing the game, then there is no game. People need to realize that and quit trying to discourage people from spending money on Cartel Coins.

I think you need to read mt post again , i'm in no way against the CM, I want them to spend equal ammonts of time putting things in game even if its just adding more drops to endgame bosses.

Whats the point of exploring the game doing quests when you you are seemingly neglecting your game and the subbed player.

I would hope that you enjoy that activity. But, you know, I'm really wondering how folks forgot about that Gree event which was free for players and added a nice piece of fun content as well as the Reputation system.

It really seems like you guys just want everything to be for subscription players for free. That's not going to happen, you know it, so I don't know why folks keep harping on it. MMORPGs have changed. The business model puts a focus on microtransactions.

Edited by Master-Nala

I would hope that you enjoy that activity. But, you know, I'm really wondering how folks forgot about that Gree event which was free for players and added a nice piece of fun content as well as the Reputation system.

It really seems like you guys just want everything to be for subscription players for free. That's not going to happen, you know it, so I don't know why folks keep harping on it. MMORPGs have changed. The business model puts a focus on microtransactions.

Didnt forget the Gree event that a F2P player could participate in and the rep addition can now be bought. they have only chnged because players allowed this to happen. And no I dont want things for free I want to play the game to earn/aquire things not play the CM. Maybe we are all over reacting with the addition of in game vendors ect. that will give ppl who do sub other ways of getting new gear/items but I know for myself I am hoping the new expansion is a great as we are hoping it will be.

Edited by Philastra

Its only been a month since the last content update which allowed people to earn stuff from four new vendors. Makeb is going to have tons of stuff to earn, and there's a new ops coming out with it too. The content pace is a great deal better than it was 8 months ago.

Its only been a month since the last content update which allowed people to earn stuff from four new vendors. Makeb is going to have tons of stuff to earn, and there's a new ops coming out with it too. The content pace is a great deal better than it was 8 months ago.

I agree and the reason I posted is because I want to see more in game activities real content, but the interview l watched they clearly stated that CM item are content.(that worried me) I want the game to suceed and I know the CM is a big reason it can i'm not against it, I just dont want that to become the "end Game" as another posted, and from the Post from Eric trying to shed on light on it was good and again maybe the players worried about this like myself are speaking out to soon. We will see in the few months if they will deliver to teh actual player base.

But buying Rep gains imo is just very concerning to the direction of the game rewarding those who spend more RL money rather than rewarding those who spend more time in game playing is not a direction they should have ever considered

But buying Rep gains imo is just very concerning to the direction of the game rewarding those who spend more RL money rather than rewarding those who spend more time in game playing is not a direction they should have ever considered

They're cosmetic rewards for buying cosmetic item packs from a cosmetic shop. If rep actually had anything to do with gearing or end game(which it doesn't) there might be some concern, but it doesn't. In this game rep is purely cosmetic. Additionally, the cartel market team is its own team, and the CM is used to fund them and additional projects for the main team(to sell stuff on the CM there needs to be people playing, which requires content, take a look at Mass Effect 3 for what they ended up doing with the extra revenue for a multiplayer that doesn't even have a non-shop method of funding, 5 free dlcs). Damion himself said that there will be more content on Makeb that they were able to develop because of the Cartel Market.

They're cosmetic rewards for buying cosmetic item packs from a cosmetic shop. If rep actually had anything to do with gearing or end game(which it doesn't) there might be some concern, but it doesn't. In this game rep is purely cosmetic. Additionally, the cartel market team is its own team, and the CM is used to fund them and additional projects for the main team(to sell stuff on the CM there needs to be people playing, which requires content, take a look at Mass Effect 3 for what they ended up doing with the extra revenue for a multiplayer that doesn't even have a non-shop method of funding, 5 free dlcs). Damion himself said that there will be more content on Makeb that they were able to develop because of the Cartel Market.

This is exactly what i'm yalking about, they created a REP gain system that from my understanding was somthing to do in game to be rewarded for by spending time doing it, now they kinda killed it by allowing ppl to just buy thier way to the top. Almost seems like they are testing the waters to see how far they can go. Yes they are cosmetic but now at least for me the rep gain system/gear doesnt reflect time spent doing the Rep quests. Its pretty much the same as giving away the Ops comms that should reflect the fact of your time spent doing content of the game.

This is exactly what i'm yalking about, they created a REP gain system that from my understanding was somthing to do in game to be rewarded for by spending time doing it, now they kinda killed it by allowing ppl to just buy thier way to the top. Almost seems like they are testing the waters to see how far they can go. Yes they are cosmetic but now at least for me the rep gain system/gear doesnt reflect time spent doing the Rep quests. Its pretty much the same as giving away the Ops comms that should reflect the fact of your time spent doing content of the game.

The average customer sticks with this game for a few months at most.

Instead of investing in ways to extend that time, they have chosen to milk as much money from that customer in the same amount of time.

Selling the future for short term gain, that is all the CM is about.

Cant craft anything cool. Cant loot anything cool. Everything we can craft or loot has a version of it on the CM, or is soley on the CM

Other than v1 grendes, stims and augments theres no reason to even craft.

Im all for the CM giving vanity items, and people looking how they want from the start but damn....

Where's the shinies? Where's the Legendary loot with amazing stat's you cant match by shoving generic mods into a shell?

Where's the extremely rare loot that makes people go WHOAH

Where is all the in-game only loot?

"Wow whered you get that cool loot? did you fight off a tribe of massassai warriors and cut it out of the gut of a Bull rancor? NO? you just bought it on the CM and filled it with generic mods everyone can get to give it some stats...well that sounds kinda boring"

• Dev Post

Hey Philastra!

One thing I did want point out is that I know sometimes there may be a misconception that because we are releasing new items into the Cartel Market, that we are not producing other content. Just to make everyone aware that our Cartel Market and content development teams are two very different things internally.

That is to say, us producing new items for the Cartel Market does not adversely mean we are not producing content. We are always doing both of these things and they are released accordingly.

I am not sure if that directly addresses any of your concerns, but I thought this would be a good place to make mention of that. Also, as you can imagine our "content developers" are pretty busy with Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Game Update 2.0. I did attempt to address some of the other concerns that you raised in one of my other posts as well, you can see that here (I think you saw it already but just in case).

-eric

Hey Philastra!

One thing I did want point out is that I know sometimes there may be a misconception that because we are releasing new items into the Cartel Market, that we are not producing other content. Just to make everyone aware that our Cartel Market and content development teams are two very different things internally.

That is to say, us producing new items for the Cartel Market does not adversely mean we are not producing content. We are always doing both of these things and they are released accordingly.

I am not sure if that directly addresses any of your concerns, but I thought this would be a good place to make mention of that. Also, as you can imagine our "content developers" are pretty busy with Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Game Update 2.0. I did attempt to address some of the other concerns that you raised in one of my other posts as well, you can see that here (I think you saw it already but just in case).

-eric

Is the server transfer service development team different too?