Take the level requirement off HK-51's orange gear shells

Heezdedjim

There is no possible need for this, given that it's locked to him anyway. You don't even have to do the hard part of making the mods match the level of an alt when he is claimed through legacy; just at least take off the level 50 lock on the shells so that we can strip the gear and put our own mods in, and actually get him on our level.

Yes, it is annoying. I suggested the same thing a while back. At the end of the day you can come across a custom version of most parts between planetary commendations and a cybertech by about level 20. In the meantime the droid tanking parts suffice.

Yes, it is annoying. I suggested the same thing a while back. At the end of the day you can come across a custom version of most parts between planetary commendations and a cybertech by about level 20. In the meantime the droid tanking parts suffice.

Yeah, except you'll be requied to use valuable slots to store his level 50 gear.

• Dev Post

It's a tech issue.

I have confirmed, that if we remove the level gating on the shell item, the mods will still affect HK (Even though they are level gated), making him a super companion for low levels. We would likely need new tech to fix this issue so the mods level takes precedence over the items level. While I'd like to get to this tech someday, it's pretty low priority compared to the other things that I (and most of you guys) want.

I dont think it would be as good in practice as people think.

First off they would want to store the 27 50+ mods for future use.

So now we add all that storage to the system.

Plus as someone mentioned you can replace the stuff by level 20 anyway.

Finally leveling with HK would mean other pets, that do gain affection from conversations, would not gain, leaving and end game grind. HK doesn't gain from conversations.

In the end it would be a mess.

It's a tech issue.

I have confirmed, that if we remove the level gating on the shell item, the mods will still affect HK (Even though they are level gated), making him a super companion for low levels. We would likely need new tech to fix this issue so the mods level takes precedence over the items level. While I'd like to get to this tech someday, it's pretty low priority compared to the other things that I (and most of you guys) want.

Understandable. What if you created a separate set with no stats that people receive when they do the legacy unlock?

It's a tech issue.

I'd love it if the fixed tech was mods or gear that auto-leveled with the player. This is something a lot of people want for other items as well so making the tech for HK it could also have other uses too. Just a thought ;)

It's a tech issue.

Can you please then just give a cheap set of gear for very low level HK users? Just a bag with some parts, cores and such. Doesn't have to be moddable.

Can you please then just give a cheap set of gear for very low level HK users? Just a bag with some parts, cores and such. Doesn't have to be moddable.

If you're a level 50 buying it for a low-level alt, rolling a cybertech alt and crafting a set of moddable parts -or- buying a set of droid parts off the GTN is of almost negligible cost.

Or you can find someone who can already craft the parts. Or you can just wait until after DK/Corusc. and pick up some of the moddable droid part quest rewards and start keeping those up to date.

It's seriously an issue for about fifteen levels at most - and you can run HK around *naked* on the starter world without a problem.

It's a tech issue.

could you add an unbolster ability to HK similar to how pvp has bolster, in this way hk would be equal to us or would the mods still affect hk?

Well if it's not moddable then it's effectivly useless, anything he can wear at level 1 will be replaced very quickly. The fact that it's a technical issue and not an oversight means that we should just forget about it for now. I started leveling with him at level one and even though it's not meant for him the tank droid parts are sufficient, it's not ideal but not worth screwing with if it's not a quick fix.

If you're a level 50 buying it for a low-level alt, rolling a cybertech alt and crafting a set of moddable parts -or- buying a set of droid parts off the GTN is of almost negligible cost.

Or you can find someone who can already craft the parts. Or you can just wait until after DK/Corusc. and pick up some of the moddable droid part quest rewards and start keeping those up to date.

It's seriously an issue for about fifteen levels at most - and you can run HK around *naked* on the starter world without a problem.

Right, which is why I said very low level. Creating some green gear to start out with corrects the issue without a whole lot of programming work.

There's actually some droid gear sold on Coruscant, in the Old Market district when you enter from the taxi, go down the stairs and turn right at the T-crossing instead of left. One of the vendors there sells some modable bits, which should help you get through Coruscant. I'm not sure whether such a vendor exists on Dromund Kaas though, maybe, maybe not, because there aren't any Empire classes that start out with android companions. But if not, Bioware could easily add such a vendor on DK as well.

Right, which is why I said very low level. Creating some green gear to start out with corrects the issue without a whole lot of programming work.

There isn't any very low level gear for any companion. Why would HK get something no one else does? Do we need level 1-8 gear for Corso, T7, Qyzen, Jorgan, Mako, Kaliyo, Vette, and Khem while you're at it?

You can obtain droid gear at level 9 from cybertechs. Complaining that he's not geared on the starter world is ludicrous - neither are you!

It's a tech issue.

This is a reasonable concern, which can be trivially avoided if you just deliver him naked, with his gear in a box. If you are level 50, then you take the gear out of the box and put it on him; no problem. If you're not 50, then you have the gear, but you can't equip it, because the mods dictate the level lock of the item, regardless of what level lock is on the shell. You can, however, strip the level 50 mods and put your own level appropriate mods in, and then you're good to go (as long as the level lock is taken off the shell).

In fact, you already have the gear box all set up in-game, because when I first got him through the quest I also got awarded a box full of gear for him (which, oddly was exactly the same as what he was wearing when he joined me at the end of the quest anyway). So the only real change when unlocking him on alts would be deliver that same box, and make him arrive naked.

If you have concerns patching this in, just run a script to strip the gear on any HKs already in game and mail it to the owner during the downtime when the patch goes in, so that if they had over-leveled gear equipped, it will be taken off, but nobody will lose anything that they already have on him.

Edited by Heezdedjim

It's a tech issue.

I hope that in the future (future companions) you might avoid this by issues the shell and mods separately and then allowing the player to slot them. Also, it be hotness if droid shells were tagged with equivalent body slots so that we can take armor mods from human shells and place them in droid shells.

I hope that in the future (future companions) you might avoid this by issues the shell and mods separately and then allowing the player to slot them. Also, it be hotness if droid shells were tagged with equivalent body slots so that we can take armor mods from human shells and place them in droid shells.

Honestly do we really even need the mods? The shell is the hard thing to get because droid slotted gear doesn't drop from questing and has to be bought or crafted. I'd be content with slot-empty oranges and have to get the mods yourself.

I know when I got him on my 50 I pretty much instantly started swapping out the default mods with Columi anyway. Don't think I used the default mods on any of the 6 toons I got him on, thought I might on the one that's 40 and will be 50 soon.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

It's a tech issue.

Given what they're asking for, couldn't HK simply be changed to come equiped with a full set of modable shells, that have no level requirements, instead of being completely without gear? It would even allow you to turn the duplicate gear bug, which mails the level 50 gear box even to characters who earn HK via missions, into a feature by simply having him initially equiped with the empty shells regardless of how he's obtained.

Personally I would think having to gear him should be required. It gives a boost to the game's economy and given that you aren't going to be leveling with him on your first playthrough the lack of initial gear and mission reward gear shouldn't be much of an obstacle.

• 1 month later...

Bump. Hoping that the Yellow People will revisit this and see there is a simple solution to their concern: Just give him to us with empty shells or with the same gear box that you give now, but with nothing equipped.

If you do this, then the level requirement is not needed to prevent any uber gearing problems, because you can never equip over leveled mods even if you had them in the shells. Shells can be locked to him with no level requirement, and you can fill them with whatever works for your current level when you claim him. Everyone wins.

This solution is also already in the game, since we get mailed a gear box when we complete the quest the first time. The only change needed is when we claim him on any alt, he comes naked and his gear is mailed to us, so he has nothing equipped when he first arrives.

Please have someone reconsider this again. It would add hugely to his appeal and utility for our alts.

Edited by Heezdedjim