Is the newer i9 processor going to be okay to play the game?

THREEELEVEN

is there such a thing as too much computer for this game?

In one sense, yes. The game doesn't use much *width* (number of cores / vCPUs) of processor, so it's better to get a faster one with fewer cores than a slower one with more cores.

So yeah, that 64-core ThreadRipper(1) is definitely not worth it for SWTOR, or, in fact, most games. It's a definite exercise in ... er, how to put this ... william-waving.

(1) That's not a joke. There really is a 64-core ThreadRipper.

Honestly shoot I don't think it matters with this old game. You can use the fastest cpu or a cpu that runs at 3.5 and you probably will not notice a difference . Your GPU matters more anyways. If anyone tells you differently then they are confusing this game with one of the latest FPS games they play on their comp which in first person shooters frames per second matter the most and having a monitor that does at least 120-140 matters too. This game not so much. my old computer that used a 4 core processor at 3.5 ghz runs this game just as good as my newer one with an amd 3950x that does almost 4.7ghz.

Most games nowadays are programmed to run on newer systems, as long as they keep updating it for the OS. However, if you play some older games like for example, Pools of Radiance from the 80's, back then game speed was tied to the processor speed. Nice and slow for reading because you were playing it on an IMB 286. But you try running that game on today's processors and text scrolls by like the scene in Daybreak where Turbo does a long epic speech (for those that haven't' seen the show, Turbo doesn't' speak, but everyone seems to know what he's thinking... so in episode six he gives a long inspirational speech, which again since he doesn't speak, it's subtitled... however it scrolls by in one second. A good 10-15 minute long speech scrolls on the screen in about one second).

Most games nowadays are programmed to run on newer systems, as long as they keep updating it for the OS. However, if you play some older games like for example, Pools of Radiance from the 80's, back then game speed was tied to the processor speed. Nice and slow for reading because you were playing it on an IMB 286. But you try running that game on today's processors and text scrolls by like the scene in Daybreak where Turbo does a long epic speech (for those that haven't' seen the show, Turbo doesn't' speak, but everyone seems to know what he's thinking... so in episode six he gives a long inspirational speech, which again since he doesn't speak, it's subtitled... however it scrolls by in one second. A good 10-15 minute long speech scrolls on the screen in about one second).

Pool of Radiance (singular). And I played it on a machine that wasn't even a 286. I have it from GOG, and fortunately DosBox can be configured to reduce the effective speed of the emulation to make it playable.

Pool of Radiance (singular). And I played it on a machine that wasn't even a 286. I have it from GOG, and fortunately DosBox can be configured to reduce the effective speed of the emulation to make it playable.

Oh yea true, GOG is wonderful for games like that, and yea I have the discs when they came out about 20 years ago with the "Forgotten Realms collection" it was all the old SSR games like Pool of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder, Menzoberranzan, etc. Then I also have the Ravenloft Strahd's Possession game. But yea, you need something like DOSBox to slow it down.

• 2 weeks later...