Masterwork Gear Changes in 5.10

EricMusco

I will verify but I am pretty sure that alternate mods at 258 (such as what you described) are crafted with the schematics learned from reverse engineering.

258 weapons will not be available with Game Update 5.10. They will be available early next year to coincide with a new piece of group content.

Current respawn time is 15 minutes. The team will monitor to see if it needs to go lower as they are very sensitive to the possibility of multiple groups trying to kill them for the Weekly.

we also need to know that 252/258 set bonus not stacking (at the moment on pts) with 192-248 Setbonus is intended or not? than upgrading part by part is useless

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why the devs insist on this type of endless grind and rng. It is not fun at all and it might just discourage some people from playing.

Crafting is also getting ridiculously expensive. The gearing system was working fine before 5.0.

I am also afraid that they will end up doing what they did when 248s were released: nerf everyone as they thought the damage output was too high....so you have no choice to re-gear and re-grind to continue to do same old nim content. The small amount of new content does not justify having to re-gear.

Edited by Eriamea

I would seriously advise putting the brakes on the gearing ideas here dev team. I've played the game since beta and this gear grind is by far the worst I've seen in this game so far. I'm shaking my head and I have to now accept not a single one of my characters will obtain best in slot optimized gear since 5.0 changed everything.

From patch 1.0 to everything pre-5.0 I had no problems making sure my main characters had best in slot optimized PvP gear. I never felt like I needed to do ranked PVP because I could do warzones and it would just take a little longer. Since 5.0 launched, playing the same amount of time I have in the past, I've managed to gear only one character in full 248s, but still haven't finished getting all the 240 augments. The mats to craft them just don't drop from the loot crates enough to even gear one character fully.

Gearing up for someone who doesn't want to do ops or ranked pvp is slower than a snail with hemmeroids. This patch is going to add to a layer of complexity that just isn't fun. But I feel like if I want to be competitive in PVP I have to get the gear my opponents will have.

I really wish we could go back to 4.0 where we had a very simple system of gearing. There's was two tiers of pve gear and a very easy grind for bis PvP gear. It wasn't necessary to create long explanations on how to get your gear and the time it took to get the gear felt reasonable.

I think the dev team needs to pause and consider, is having a very complicated and long gearing process good for the game? I don't believe that it is.

I should remind you that they didn't listen to our warnings on Galactic Command so they aren't going to listen here as they knowingly made it worse.

I should remind you that they didn't listen to our warnings on Galactic Command so they aren't going to listen here as they knowingly made it worse.

They made this mistake of insane gear grinds in the past and learned from it. The problem right now with so many personnel changes on the dev team is it seems the wisdom gained was never transferred. We now have history repeating itself and I guess we will see if they can learn from their mistake.

Back before patch 3.3 came out Bioware posted that the PVP gear grind was so bad that only 2% of PVP'ers had full BIS PVP gear. I was surprised to learn that because I had that full set and accomplished it without doing any ranked arenas (which gave you more comms at the time). I had it fully optimized too so I had to farm extra pieces just for the mods.

Even back then, when I played the game enough to be part of that 2%, I can say with conviction the gear grind we have now is even worse.

Edited by Fellow-Canadian

They made this mistake of insane gear grinds in the past and learned from it. The problem right now with so many personnel changes on the dev team is it seems the wisdom gained was never transferred. We now have history repeating itself and I guess we will see if they can learn from their mistake.

They did learn, or at least improve the system, even after 5.0, when they gave us UCs from pvp.

Edited by Neulwen

Sound like a excuse with 252 to 258 if end users want to jump straight to 258 so be it if others gamers want to take a stepping stone approach that's there way of playing the game,

Personnel no gear should be bound to character you should be able to swap it between your characters and your fellow gaming friends so long as they are eligible to wear the gear and have gained a concern rank.

The problem with the direction of the game at moment is only appraising to those that want to group up all the time its not everyone kettle of fish, it the same as not everyone likes warzones, flashpoints, starship fights and operations so why should they be restricted on reaching gear level 258 or having to enter war zone to gather a concern gear or schematics.

Developers should be focusing on ensuring the game bugs that are in game are being address in Jedi under siege 5.10 before they worry about respawning times, what gear everyone is entitled too,

They should also have a in game feedback ticket that only collect ideas and feedback on what gamers would like to see in future swtor games that even free 2 players can participate in it is activated once a week twice a day example every Monday there is morning and afternoon feedback period or it can only be access if you are in stronghold or guild stronghold ad is restricted to 1,000 words every month.

Example like to see class say vitiate where you play as the Emperor where you have decide whom is recruited to carry out your plans for the future of the galaxy, whom you want to sit on the council, who is invested with your inner secrets and whom you want to eliminate where you get to play galaxy species against one other just so you can control the fate of the galaxy or carry out your murderous conquest.

The other class can also be included for once a month week event like example from Friday to Thursday you get to play as the fleet commander moving your ship, crew and Jedi around the galaxy trying not to get your self capture or killed and the decision you make as a fleet command affects your allies future and the support they receive as well as if you get promoted or not and you get to fight next to the greatest Jedi, bounty hunters, troopers, smugglers, agent , sith etc for the survival of your existence and that whom you are swear to him.

On the contrary! I would say the opposit, I am one of the players who really play most aspects of the game (heck I'm replaying class stories now). I play PVE, PVP, GSF was doing Space missions even (now that I have a laptop that can run the game on ultra).

I have been in the game for a very long time and am able to judge these things. I know that people will complain, but still everyone will be here when 5.10 and will be gearing their toons like they do in every gear expansion. It is good that people speak their mind and they may get some changes, but the way its setup now is fine.

Look at it this way: 90% of the population doesnt need 252/258 gear (well, so far the Ossus mobs are quite tough but i think it should be fine) so the gear grind is actually there for the 10% of PVP and PVE players. At start it will be fine cause bolster will be 252 so all the PVPers with 248 are fine for the first week/month cause not many will be getting 258 gear. After one month people will be full 252 and that will be enough for the NiM ops and people will slowly start gettting 258 pieces for ranked. I really do not see an issue in this, people will have new area, new story, things to do and the gear will slowly come naturally.

I was trying to make a playful joke with you. I guess it didn’t come across properly. :)

So one year with out any major update ?

Hope no, because it mean more leave then enter.

Yup. But when people said "urhm no we want expansions" Bioware was like "we prefer content patches now". So make it 3 years without major update since KOTET. And then they wonder what exactly caused the steady drop in population. No single gameplay change, no matter how unpopular pushed more players to leave/lose interest than the lack of a major expansion.

Is it 3 years already ? I mean, I'm still not fully throgh KOTFE ...

I had to push myself once I found out about 5.10. Now I have 3 through it. (One didn’t even have her personal ship yet because she was pvp only, lol).

But ive only been able to do that because I’ve had massive lag spike issues for 7 weeks and could not pvp with them.

The Lag spikes are basically fixed and I’m back in pvp. I guess my other 26 Alts on Star Forge will just get the auto complete to get to 5.10 content.

Since I almost entirely pvp, and play toons of every class, I've already accepted that I'm just going to be undergeared for a long time after this patch. Maybe I'll take a break from the game till the grind gets toned down.

You will be able to get 2 Shards with trading in your UCs that you assembled from PVP. For that you can buy 1 252. If you do this on all your alts you will have more 252 pcs and can send them to your one main toon. Then you can do the weekly PVP objective for one more shard. This weekly you can do one your alts to gain 1 shard on all of them and next week when you do the same you will get the 2nd shard and again buy the 252 gear.

Even as a PVPer you should be fully 252 geared in 2 weeks on at least 1 toon if you have several alts to help out.

You will be able to get 2 Shards with trading in your UCs that you assembled from PVP. For that you can buy 1 252. If you do this on all your alts you will have more 252 pcs and can send them to your one main toon. Then you can do the weekly PVP objective for one more shard. This weekly you can do one your alts to gain 1 shard on all of them and next week when you do the same you will get the 2nd shard and again buy the 252 gear.

Even as a PVPer you should be fully 252 geared in 2 weeks on at least 1 toon if you have several alts to help out.

Do you expect me to believe that you consider this to be reasonable in any way? Plus you're only talking about 252, which is what bolster is set to lol.

Heya Musco,

Regarding the 252 and 258 gear on PTS with how all the mod and enhancements are bound to a slot, is there any plan to change this? And if not why?

Thanks

this is one of the big unanswered questions around...as still the non stacking setboni with 248 and below and the lettered modifications still arent answered too.

• 3 weeks later...

From a PvE standpoint: Except, maybe, for GOTM NiM, all other ops at all difficulty levels are perfectly doable with 248. They haven't been re-tuned, as far as I know, for the new 252/258 gear. I'm also betting that NiM GOTM will be doable with 248, at least for the good teams. So, if all you do is PvE, the conclusion is quite simple: don't even go to Ossus and do not waste your time there. Or go once to see the map, maybe do the dailies and World Bosses once for the achievements and that's it. Let your sub drop and wait till 6.0 arrives.

From a PvP standpoint: just rollback to 4.0. All decisions regarding pvp gearing from 5.0 onwards have been lackadaisical if not outright useless / idiotic. The actual solution to PvP is to make separate skill trees and gear. That would completely remove the indignation that PvE players feel when their abilities are changed due to PvP concerns as well as add complexity to PvP. But then, that'd require a lot of real work instead of refurbishing yet another armor/mount/deco to sell in the CM.

SWTOR thy name is super barbie online - with lightsabers.

Let's be fair... There is no real reason for Command Levels, Crates and Tokens anymore... Its all the way to 248, which is now outdated gear.

Bolster is at 252 anyway... and farming is again the way for to gearing.

Basically, you can clear the rest of the tokens and make them money, even those Crates from Alliance, put a vendor, as usual, for "old" gear. Forget greens, blues, purples, and FP tokens. Simplify the gear and rewards again. Things got over-complicated again, and with no real advantage to players.

Just masterwork, mats and UC is enough, from all content. The rest are a waste of time either way. Unify the rewards, so all content is fair game. CXP did that, but seems useless after 5.10.

248's at vet OPS, 252s at MM OPS(and GOTM vet) and go from there. Let the farming erupt.... again.