Merc or Sniper??? (PLEASE READ)

SensusSW

Title says it all. And how are snipers at close range? That's the only think that I'm unsure about that's stopping me from playing a sniper. Are they ok if they start getting attacked at close range? Like do they have knockbacks, stuns, etc? Edited by SensusSW

If you like being restricted to cover and being LoSed a ton then go sniper if you want to pwn people with just one ability go mercenary. Not saying snipers are like bad but they arent a class you want to play in mmos. People will LoS you heal up then come back and kick your *** while all your abilities are on cool down.

Snipers have an array of range-keeping abilities: one that will hold them in place while they are at a distance, one that will knock them back if they get too close, one close-range stun, one far-range stun.

It is harder to "kite" because you have to be in cover to use your best abilities; however, the abilities referenced above should allow you to either stay in cover or run away and take cover to continue your attacks.

Edited by zachcharry

Oh ok. So snipers have no way to kite in pvp?

Don't listen to the naysayers. While I agree commando/merc is slightly stronger than a sniper/gunslinger the latter is not an immobile turret with no utility. Cover is just extra protection while casting spells, the commando and merc are also immobile when casting spells with a cast time.

The main reason commandos/mercs outperform sniper in melee range is because they wear heavy armor and not so much their abilities.

also snipers kite fine with their immobilizes (knockback and leg shot)

sniper pros:

snipers are uninterruptable

snipers have ranged interrupt

snipers are wanted in ops/flashpoints

merc pros:

tracer missile cannot be dodged/deflected since its a tech attack not based of weapon damage.

heavy armor

can heal

Don't listen to the naysayers. While I agree commando/merc is slightly stronger than a sniper/gunslinger the latter is not an immobile turret with no utility. Cover is just extra protection while casting spells, the commando and merc are also immobile when casting spells with a cast time.

The main reason commandos/mercs outperform sniper in melee range is because they wear heavy armor and not so much their abilities.

sniper pros:

merc pros:

tracer missile cannot be dodged/deflected since its a tech attack not based of weapon damage.

heavy armor

can heal

Another point in regards to damage dealing. Assualt Merc will reduce enemies armor by 52%, sniper only reduces by 20%.

Edited by shadowAI

sniper pros:

merc pros:

heavy armor

can heal

You're delusional. Why dont you mention how the cover mechanic is a joke and you'll watch ambushes evaporate and do NOTHING. Dont forget to mention the long cast times of our strongest abilities. If you're going to explain a class explain the pros AND CONS.

This is just my 2 cents here, and I am preparing for the backlash of this statement...

I have a level 50 merc and am in the process of leveling a sniper, both of which I pvp heavily on. Even at 16, my sniper is topping the damage charts and is on-par with my BH, you just have to play a bit more conservatively. However, this could change at 50, just because of the difference in gear/experience of the players i'm fighting,but I will also get better gear/experience with using the class.

But as it stands, both are a blast, and both have excellent stories. It is all about personal preference, and, believe it or not, the classes are more balanced than the baddies on the forums want you to believe. :D

Title says it all. And how are snipers at close range? That's the only think that I'm unsure about that's stopping me from playing a sniper. Are they ok if they start getting attacked at close range? Like do they have knockbacks, stuns, etc?

just to add: knock a marksman/engineer specced sniper out of cover (with any cc ability) and they're nearly defenseless and useless.

They got entrench, but it lasts "only" 20 sec with 1 min CD, forces them to stay immobile for its duration to keep it (if they move they loose the buff). As such decent players will simply LoS the sniper until entrench wears off, then come back and knock the sniper out of cover before proceeeding to trash him/her. Just to note that all main marksman abilities requires cover. Same for Engineer except for their AoE.

Cover is our greatest strength and our greatest weakness as marksman/engineer sniper.

Sadly the weaknesses vastly outdo its strengths.

In PvE: In boss fights (talking HM FP and Ops especially) that requires movement, marksman/engineer snipers become next to useless. (Bonus boss boarding party, Soa hardmode phase 2/3, directive 7 last boss is 3 examples of this.)

Cover is a good idea, but a really bad design in a MMO game as it currently is.

On a sidenote: Lethality works well in both pvp and pve since its not dependant on cover. on the downside it requires cull to be actual useful, with high amount of crit to prevent energy starvation.

Edited by Aryndelin

Go Merc. I have lvl 45 snipe an lvl 30 merc, and in comparison the Merc is like a god mode of Sniper. Sniper damage output is not that great to overcome the setbacks of that class, and with Merc you get: mobility, self heal, and pretty much every tool in the book plus heavy armour... and all that without being easily gimped with line of sight.

Yeah, snipers (when immobile and in cover) can shoot 5 meters farther than other classes... yeah, 5 meters, sniper.

Edited by Beansoup

This is just my 2 cents here, and I am preparing for the backlash of this statement...

I have a level 50 merc and am in the process of leveling a sniper, both of which I pvp heavily on. Even at 16, my sniper is topping the damage charts and is on-par with my BH, you just have to play a bit more conservatively. However, this could change at 50, just because of the difference in gear/experience of the players i'm fighting,but I will also get better gear/experience with using the class.

But as it stands, both are a blast, and both have excellent stories. It is all about personal preference, and, believe it or not, the classes are more balanced than the baddies on the forums want you to believe. :D

How bad are the people on your server that a sniper before level 31 can top the damage charts? Without cull or followthrough your damage is super low.

Go merc gunslingers and snipers suck balls

Merc is really bad at pvp if you are noticed. Good when left alone to spam tracer missle but once a melee becomes aware of your existence he's gonna be all over you like a rash interrupting and stuning you until you're dead.

Merc is really bad for 1v1.

Go sorcerer if you like ranged fights. Go marrauder if you like melee fights (scoundrels/ops get nerf hammered next patch)

Edited by Chomag