Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

Is SWTOR dying? Ques are longer and longer. So many of the good players that I levelled with never log in anymore it seems. Republic fleet on mt server used to have over 100 toons at off hours, and now its mainly 20-30. My server Helm of Garush was one of the top 5 population servers at one point. Now it seems more and more like a Ghostown.

What's going on?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the population is dropping (contrary to what the 2008/2009 fanbois will tell you), and when gw2/tera/secret world/d3/etc are out and it will plummet even further.

you'd have to be brain dead to not notice the population decreasing:

- server queues are gone

- most servers are light/std now instead of full/very heavy

- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+

- wz queues taking longer to pop

- fp groups harder to find

- less items on markets

- most friends in the friends list are "offline"

- where have all out guildies gone?

- etc

If they actually had 2 million subscribers just after launch when all the servers had queues and we had 230+ on the fleet in prime times i'd say it's pretty obvious we've already lost at least 1/3 of those 2 million subscribers, probably closer to half.

the ea quarterly shareholder statement in may will reveal the truth, they can't lie in that.

Edited by Evuke

Whenever a game comes out, players are all rushing at the same time to do the same amount of content. This means players are typically playing at around the same time slots, since the moment they get done with their obligations, they are immediately getting into the game. At this point, the MMO Veteran has finished most of the content that is in the game, obtained most of the PVP gear that he needs, and has now started to work on secondary characters, or even moved to a new server.

Beyond that, we have developers telling us that 'omg 1.2 will be awesome!' so there's even less of an incentive to play currently since almost everyone has a promise or two directed at their gaming enjoyment. For me, it's the buffs coming to my Healing Operative. Some players have even canceled their accounts until they see the 1.2 patch notes, and the whole developer conference deal.

Then there are the players that bought into the hype and are extremely dissatisfied with the game, who won't be returning. I learned at an early age never to follow a game pre-release, since it often just resulted in me being disappointed. My imagination is always more powerful than the latest game engine, so I've learned to cull my expectations by having none.

Edited by KyoMamoru

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Teala/012012/22492_The-Tortanics-Maiden-Voyage

This is what happens when you create a ranged stun fest and the best pvp dps classes are also the easiest to play.

You quickly come to the conclusion...why bother.

I love when you peak your head in threads. Especially when you link threads that contain gems like this,

"Well another month has passed for SWTOR and yet again we see another huge drop off in numbers. In just two months this game went from having 11,800 players, with 85k hours played, to just under 5k players and 15k hours played. As stated before, in all my years of playing and following games on xfire, never have I seen a brand new triple AAA title fall so fast. If it keeps going at this rate of fall it'll be lucky to retain 25% of it's player base by the 6th month mark."

Yea. :rolleyes:

Has the population decreased since launch? Yup. But you are clueless.

Edited by Telaan

I love when you peak your head in threads. Especially when you link threads that contain gems like this,

"Well another month has passed for SWTOR and yet again we see another huge drop off in numbers. In just two months this game went from having 11,800 players, with 85k hours played, to just under 5k players and 15k hours played. As stated before, in all my years of playing and following games on xfire, never have I seen a brand new triple AAA title fall so fast. If it keeps going at this rate of fall it'll be lucky to retain 25% of it's player base by the 6th month mark."

Yea. :rolleyes:

Has the population decreased since launch? Yup. But you are clueless.

the 11,800 figure he quoted was obviously xfire users (see the paragraph above the one you quoted), not the entire pop......

Edited by Evuke

Pick whichever server the aussies go to. Its always full :)

funny you mention that, because the aussie server (the swiftsure) is about to become one of the lowest pop servers in the game when bw offers all the aussies free transfers off the swiftsure to the new dedicated aussie server.

i believe this is happening in early march

Edited by Evuke

the 11,800 figure he quoted was obviously crossfire users, not the entire pop......who were you calling clueless?

Thank you captain obvious. We all know that basing a game's population on who uses xfire is an accurate data collection method......similar in nature to those who log on and collect data via /who in fleet. I'm sorry I didn't initially explain that line of thought for you.....

TOR will continue to limp along for another year or so I think, but the lack of community feeling in the game will be its death.

At the core, TOR is not a terrible game by any means. Max-level is shambolic, but the 1-49 experience of questing and fairly entertaining (if a little thin) Warzone PvP keeps things interesting. Sure they dropped the ball on a ton of stuff, but other stuff eg: the questing system is the best I've encountered in any MMO.

What keeps MMOs alive is Community and IMHO this is where TOR fails the hardest. Still not having a proper server forum system is inexcusable. The game world is so wide-open and/or instanced off into little pockets of storyline that you barely even see anyone else. The "fleet" experience is also very underwhelming, most people hanging around either the GTN or the PvP quest giver.

Community keeps even the worst MMOs alive, but TOR's complete lack might spell its doom. Time will tell I guess...

Thank you captain obvious. We all know that basing a game's population on who uses xfire is an accurate data collection method......similar in nature to those who log on and collect data via /who in fleet. I'm sorry I didn't initially explain that line of thought for you.....

well it was obvious but you missed it still.

and xfire proved accurate measuring aoc's pop decline, WAR's pop decline and RIFT's pop decline, yet for some reason the data is not accurate for TOR right?

rift/war/aoc all had their dedicated fanbois too saying the pop wasn't dying, that xfire was wrong, that the pop was there it was just spread out more now etc etc etc.

we all know how well that worked out for them

if bw suck it up and act now to address the issue rather than burying their heads in the sand to protect their egos and the EA share price then they could still save it:

merge servers

fix ilum

add more wz's, 3 maps is pathetic by anyone's standards.

Edited by Evuke

The servers they opened up post release to satisfy the queue complainers are, as expected by me and everyone else who understood how mmo launches work.

My server has good population and faction balance.

mine as well. at primetime i've seen it hit 300+ and ive never seen less than 70 players on the fleet. also factions are very well balanced.

of course xfire usage data is roughly accurate, 11k is statistically significant number, and unless you can show why only xfire people are quitting, they're also a representative for trends of a whole population. 12k to 5k in 2 months would translate to about 2m to 800k total pop.... which is quite optimistic, comes march 18 and failure of 1.2, they'll be lucky to get 0.5m to renew for the 3rd month.

mine as well. at primetime i've seen it hit 300+ and ive never seen less than 70 players on the fleet. also factions are very well balanced.

weekends when the kids are on we only crack 80's in the fleet on the rebel side. So consider yourself lucky, I have a feeling my server will eventually merge with another.

of course xfire usage data is roughly accurate, 11k is statistically significant number, and unless you can show why only xfire people are quitting, they're also a representative for trends of a whole population. 12k to 5k in 2 months would translate to about 2m to 800k total pop.... which is quite optimistic, comes march 18 and failure of 1.2, they'll be lucky to get 0.5m to renew for the 3rd month.

And?

So?

Therefore?

People who enjoy it will continue to play. 500k =/= Dead.

Edited by Lashknife

Population cap set too low (and as a result too many servers) mixed with the standard mmojumpers expecting every new mmo to be a WoW-killer thus joining it, and the more rational people who merely accepted that the game wasn't what they were looking for.

Is imo the reasons it seems "dying". There'll always be people leaving, there was just never THAT many on the servers for starters. I don't think it's dying, it's finding its place in terms of population, the population of any given mmo have always plummeted at the start to find a 'stable' ground in which to reside.

And?

So?

Therefore?

Because?

People who enjoy it will continue to play. 500k =/= Dead.

no 500k is not dead, you'll need another 6 months for that. Point is that EA, when they see the sub numbers, will do exactly the same thing they did for Warhammer --> cut ALL the funding and put the game in maintenance mode.

Of course the population is dropping (contrary to what the 2008/2009 fanbois will tell you), and when gw2/tera/secret world/d3/etc are out and it will plummet even further.

you'd have to be brain dead to not notice the population decreasing:

- server queues are gone

- most servers are light/std now instead of full/very heavy

- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+

- wz queues taking longer to pop

- fp groups harder to find

- less items on markets

- most friends in the friends list are "offline"

- where have all out guildies gone?

- etc

If they actually had 2 million subscribers just after launch when all the servers had queues and we had 230+ on the fleet in prime times i'd say it's pretty obvious we've already lost at least 1/3 of those 2 million subscribers, probably closer to half.

the ea quarterly shareholder statement in may will reveal the truth, they can't lie in that.

Well, the sharding equally splits players among instances.

Having instances of 100 doesn't meant anything unless you see how many instances there are. If there are 3, thats ~ 250-300ish. If you see about 130 on fleet, more people may mean less instances, so that's about 200-260. So really its only accurate if you multiply by each shard. Of course I play on a heavily populated server (Doesn't get "Full" too often anymore, of course that's probably due to raised server caps). Not saying this means much, because of course I'm just *Dreaming, pretending my fanboism game is doing great* or something like that, right? :p