BW killed off my medium pop server

Reeny

On Space Slug, we had 90-100 players on the Imperial Fleet during peak hours.

Now, it's less than 10.

Space Slug didnt need to be an Origin server and didnt need transfers off as it had a healthy population.

But now BW has killed off the server and my interest in playing the game.

Nice work, BW.

Apparently, it DID need transfers because everyone left. If everyone was happy with it the way it was they *gasp* wouldn't transfer.

:cool:

Pretty much this. Now you must decide, do you want to play on a near empty server, or a near full one?

Edited by monkgryphon

Apparently, it DID need transfers because everyone left. If everyone was happy with it the way it was they *gasp* wouldn't transfer.

Agreed. Why dont you see if you can still transfer yourself and you will be on a populated sever again. From what people on the forums said, it only takes 5-10 minutes.

Transfer is easier said than done.

Lose all my characters names and legacy name.

When I have used the same name for all the MMOs I have played in.

Now I am forced to switch and lose all the names??

Probably have to go through countless iterations of names to find one that I like and isnt taken.

Imperial Fleet was about 90-100 at peak hours after the Rakghoul event.

Republic was about 60 or so.

Healthy server but no, BW had to open it up to transfers.

On Space Slug, we had 90-100 players on the Imperial Fleet during peak hours.

Now, it's less than 10.

Space Slug didnt need to be an Origin server and didnt need transfers off as it had a healthy population.

But now BW has killed off the server and my interest in playing the game.

Nice work, BW.

bury it in a

. Edited by metalgearyoda

Probably have to go through countless iterations of names to find one that I like and isnt taken.

You don't know for certain that your names will be taken, and if they are...well, just make a new one. Like the above poster said, if it was a healthy server people wouldn't have left immediately after transfers became available.

well, you can't do anything about that. Either transfer or play on empty server. Or just stop playing at all.

Not much else to do about it.

The name things sucks, I lost the names from my main and my favorite alt and my Legacy. That said, obviously the majority on your server didn't feel there was enough players on or they wouldn't have taken the transfer. Drooga's Pleasure Barge hits about 300 in fleet during prime time, and daily quest planets seem to always have at least 25 people on them no matter what time of day I go. PvP queue times are short, and unlike my old server, getting matched against a Pub team doesn't mean automatically getting steamrolled.

Doesn't really work that way. This was a "leave on these terms now, because we're not providing guarantees about what's happening to you later".

If you don't leave you're now left with a vacated server, whether it was able to plod along previously or not. All ways around this was bizarre. I wouldn't say stupid, although stupid is probably correct, I could be wrong. They're emptying out most of the severs leaving them unplayable and concentrating populations. But it's not clear what's going to happen to the vacant servers. Anyone else would have shut down servers and moved people to target servers (mid size or otherwise). BioWare seem to be resisting the need to 'close servers' so they're going to basically have a bunch of abandoned servers that are no longer viable, but are sticking around for no apparent reason.

Concentrating servers is good (give or take how they're resolving name conflicts badly, and then the guild and and guild bank problems). Concentrating people into some servers and leaving others mostly empty is strange, probably stupid, but definitely strange.

Yep, BW just lost another sub.

Finish off my playing time and that's it.

BW used to be a great company with great games like BG and ME.

After the DA2 and ME3 fiasco and now swtor failure, i really question their ability to make good games.

I felt the same way when Krayt Dragon was transferred - pre Diablo 3, we were always Standard at peak hours, with 100+ in fleet on both sides. I didn't expect it to be an origin server (and my guild had originally decided to not transfer should we be an origin server), but I reserved the names before the transfer was announced, just in case. Of course, once transfers went live, we all transferred.

I wound up losing 3 out of 8 names and my legacy. I wasn't happy about it, and still feel that the name situation could have been handled better, but that's the reality of the situation. I don't know how many people transferred, but I imagine it comprises the bulk of the active SWTOR community and I'm certainly not a special snowflake as far as losing names is concerned.

I decided not to use the alternate names I reserved (same names but with accented characters) and went with a variant spelling on my main (Kaliko became Kalliko - although Káliko and Kalíko were also free) and coming up with different names for my other two (I didn't try alternate spellings - just had a list of alternate names prepared) after the transfers went live. Finding an alternate name for two characters was easy (got them on the first try). For one it was a little tougher because for my Vanguard I wanted a real last name associated with science (went from Lieutenant Higgs to Lieutenant Dawkins - I can live with that :cool:). For my legacy name, it took a while to find a good one.

I imagine you haven't even tried to reserve any names as you're assuming you'll have to go through countless iterations of names. The longer you wait to reserve your names, the more likely you are to find that that will be the case. So, I'd advise you to come up with a list of alternate names and get to it so that you'll have a better chance of having some acceptable names waiting for you for when you transfer.

Not transferring.

This whole transfer off a medium pop server has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I can understand closing off low pop servers but a server with 60+ and 90+ at Fleet during peak hours isnt a dying server.

Well, after what BW did, it is a dying server now.

Just 5 at fleet, down from 90+.

Just going to let my sub run out.

Edited by Reeny

lol this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've read all day... BW didn't "KILL" your server the community did... BW gave everyone an option they have been asking for for months and everyone but you apparently decided your server sucked and moved...

you think the players on your server should have been deprived what they all wanted so you could have the server the way you want? lmao

Edited by Liquidacid