Relics for neutral players?

Kornmanz

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where's the relics for people who stay in the neutral? I played a toon all the way to 50 neutral and never got a relic.

Come to find out there's none in game.

Kinda dumb right?

So you chose to be evil half the time, and good the other half? That doesn't make you neutral, as you still perform evil deeds among good deeds. It just makes you chaotic.

The funny thing, now that you're 50, you can get any of the numerous level 50 relics that don't have an alignment restriction. Do your dailies and get Campaign/ Dread Guard Relics, and PVP relics.

Yup its pretty annoying that they still limit the levelling relics to light or dark. I'm levelling an agent now and I want to pick choices that fit my image of the character(some light and some dark choices), but I tend to take dark ones just to keep up for relics. At dark 3 now though and may just push on to 50 making sure I don't lose it(at 43 atrm).

So you chose to be evil half the time, and good the other half? That doesn't make you neutral, as you still perform evil deeds among good deeds. It just makes you chaotic..

Not necessarily. I am currently playing an operative who is generally good but will choose whatever serves the empire which may be evil or it may be good. The end result is that by level 27 I'm 1800 light and 1800 dark.

So you chose to be evil half the time, and good the other half? That doesn't make you neutral, as you still perform evil deeds among good deeds. It just makes you chaotic.

The funny thing, now that you're 50, you can get any of the numerous level 50 relics that don't have an alignment restriction. Do your dailies and get Campaign/ Dread Guard Relics, and PVP relics.

Well I am sure this is an old, old debate, but as a new player unaware of the game mechanics my republic character was amassing a lot of dark side points from options that were not inherently "evil".

At the risk of adding spoilers, there is an early quest that saw a Rep. military officer send my smuggler on a mission to recover stolen medicine - the medicine was needed to treat sick republicans. Along the way, I discover that a group of refugees could also use the medicine to treat their sick. Once I recover the medicine, I have a choice to take it to the refugees or back to the Fort to help the Republicans, which presumably includes soldiers already putting themselves on the frontline. Unless I missed a crucial piece of information, neither party were obviously more deserving than the other and yet when I decided to return the medicine to its rightful owners (and the Sergeant had asked first :p), I got dark side points :confused:

This is just one example of many that saw my character leave Ord Mantell almost in the neutral zone (I think light edged it by only 100 points) and I defy any player to turn off the light/dark indicator for mission conversations and not come away with more opposing faction attributes than they would otherwise have done. As someone who likes roleplay to dictate character decisions, not a mechanical game feature, I can assure you doing the right thing is not always 'good'.

Having said that, I have no stance on the lack of relics for neutral characters (although Matrix cubes aren't alignment specific are they?). If the game was not designed for 3 alignments, I don't particularly have a problem with that - playing neutral 'by design' is as artificial as the dark/light indicator, in my opinion.

Edited by KariTalRathe

• Dev Post
Hey everyone; I asked Lead Designer Damion Schubert for an update on neutral gear. He let me know that the implementation of this feature isn't planned for the immediate future, but that it's still something we want to do. When we do add it, you can expect a variety of gear for neutral-aligned players.

grey gear IMHO is the wrong fix, the best fix is to remove requirements for alignment from relics and use alignment stuff purely for cosmetics and other fun stuff.

Isn't this how it pretty much works now? Everything good can be worn by anyone.

i actually tried to be dark side on one toon and couldn't bring myself to click on many of the dark side options which means i'm not gonna wear any relics until 50.

It's absolutely no issue for me, but it does seem a very weird design choice. It essentially restricts the dialogue options if you wanna be geared properly, which kinda contradicts the whole meaningful choices thing they so advertised for the stories.

Hey everyone; I asked Lead Designer Damion Schubert for an update on neutral gear. He let me know that the implementation of this feature isn't planned for the immediate future, but that it's still something we want to do. When we do add it, you can expect a variety of gear for neutral-aligned players.

Same was said like 8 months ago :)

Yeah, the sucky thing about us "neutrals" is that we were born with hearts filled with neutrality. I kept my guy in the middle of the alignment bar simply because I wanted, as a Sentinel, one red saber and one blue saber. It's both a bit of roleplaying in the fact that he believes sometimes you have to do good things for good reasons, and bad things for good reasons, and also a bit of a character concept idea I've had in other games and stories where the character has one blue sword and one red sword.

Anyway, even after the alignment restrictions lifted off crystals, I stayed neutral. Why? Simple - I have about 1.5x the needed alignment points to be either Light or Dark V, and simply "grinding it out" to be either Light or Dark V would be an incredibly asinine undertaking at this point - roughly 40 full and complete runs of Esseles as it stands right now to complete that. Given that most Republic players go "LIGHT SIDE!" as soon as they see the choice, and DO NOT heed my "trust me, pick this option here on this choice, it lets everyone pick alignment gain however they want and everyone's happy," I can easily expect it to take longer if I take along other people.

Honestly, I would say do not expect "neutral" or "gray" gear at any point. Hell, they've been saying since March that "neutral gear's coming. It's looking great so far!" And now the post by the dev that makes it sound like it's not even seen a cursory glance beyond a sticky note on someone's desk buried under a pile of paperwork and maybe someone's lunch... just know that if you're going the "gray" route, you're taking a harder path. I don't honestly blame them - "Gray Jedi / Sith" players probably make up, if I had to guess, 5% of the player population. That's "player population," and only taking into account any player with any number of Grays on their account. I only have one true Gray, and I've already filled up all 12 slots on my main server and one on a secondary server - roughly 8% of my characters. So a fraction of a fraction would end up using it.

People are so childish and stubborn... want something that requires light or dark so bad, choose a side and grind it. Seriously, it's not like there's anything at all you can't live without if you're not Light or Dark V, you're just crying to hear yourselves cry, imo.