Why addons arent allowed in SWTOR?

ShieldProtection

Hey, any idea why addons aren't allowed in here? I could use a GTN price checker addon and I'm sure many people also love to have that, I spend so much time checking item prices on gtn and that takes forever, sometimes pages are not loading, gets bugged or some weird thing happens and I have to start over from page 1 and its so annoying in my opinion. I know manually putting numbers onto that TINY box and hitting enter automatically switches to that page but how should I know which page I need to look? and which item in there?

It is probably because of the old engine?

Hey, any idea why addons aren't allowed in here? I could use a GTN price checker addon and I'm sure many people also love to have that, I spend so much time checking item prices on gtn and that takes forever, sometimes pages are not loading, gets bugged or some weird thing happens and I have to start over from page 1 and its so annoying in my opinion. I know manually putting numbers onto that TINY box and hitting enter automatically switches to that page but how should I know which page I need to look? and which item in there?

To support add-ons, SWTOR would need to develop and maintain a library of APIs, which would require allocating development resources on an ongoing basis at a time when there are too few to support the game without an API.

As for why they didn't ship the game with support for add-ons, you'd have to ask the original developers, you know...

The ones that assumed it would take players months to hit level 50 (it took days).

The ones that assumed players did not need any performance feedback (they added a text file log).

The ones that assumed a group queue tool was unnecessary (since added)

The ones that blamed ability delay and lag on player PCs (admitted issues, discontinued Illum).

The ones that launched with a hundreds of servers and no server transfer capabilities (since consolidated, added).

The ones that picked the terrible engine used by the game (still stuck with it and it shows).

Edited by DawnAskham

Star Wars is a proprietary franchise wholly owned by Disney. Electronic Arts has a license to use certain content from that franchise for a limited time (10 years).

1. Any add-ons would need to fall in line with what both EA and Disney deem as appropriate for the game. EA, for example, might greenlight a given SWTOR game mod, only to run afoul of Disney, that might not approve of it.

2. In a single-player game, such as the Sims 4 franchise, which EA does own, there are plenty of player-made mods. I make mods for Sims4 all the time. Sims 4 also has extensive cheat mods, which I love. But introducing cheat mods into SWTOR would raise holy hell, and there's simply not enough employees to go around policing game-breaking or game-exploiting mods.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Hate add-ons. Glad SWTOR doesn't support them.

Curious - what about add-ons (or what types of add-ons) do you not like?

The ones I miss the most in SWTOR are UI customization types - which in SWTOR I'd use for things like improving the player / raid frames and to add filters and sorts to the materials tab, and overall just to reskin the whole UI to be both more minimalist and more legible (the colors and fonts in the SWTOR UI are terrible).

An in game performance measurement tool would also be nice - though I know many players are apprehensive about such tools if they allow others to see their performance (I'd be all for a toggle to share / don't share performance data).

Marketplace add-ons would also be nice to track sales and keep up with price and volume data - though again I know there are players that feel such add-ons give players using them an advantage, which is sill if they are available to all.

Lastly, I know some games have allowed add-ons that cross into the realm of automation or simplify game play - but just because a game supports add-ons does not mean in supports add-ons that automate or simplify game play.

Edited by DawnAskham

Yeah I'm going to have to agree.

They sound great in theory but in practice they break all the time and people turn them into lame automations and cheats and UGH... it just sucks. LOL

No add ons! :)

Instead, suggest an add on like function and then Bioware creates QoL improvements. That would be ideal.

Curious - what about add-ons (or what types of add-ons) do you not like?

I don't like any add-on that gives someone an advantage over someone else.

If the game was really simplistic and add-ons were needed for basic QOL reasons perhaps then I'd not be against them. However, the way SWTOR plays and the customization of the UI SWTOR offers ingame means there's absolutely no reason to have add-ons in this game.

In many ways I find WOW gameplay compromised by the addition of so many add-ons... That game basically has become a competition between add-ons not actual player skill or player versus environment. (I know "skill" might not be the right word but just go with it ok?)

Addons are basically cheatcodes. Cheatcodes should not be in an multiplayer game, period. I already despise StarParse, because it makes people complacent in the face of SWTOR's bad combat system and raid design rather than getting people to protest it so we don't need to know exact numbers to do the content. If I have to use an external program to effectively do content, then something is wrong with the game design.

In many ways I find WOW gameplay compromised by the addition of so many add-ons... That game basically has become a competition between add-ons not actual player skill or player versus environment. (I know "skill" might not be the right word but just go with it ok?)

I got kidnapped by WoW (Classic) for a month and addons killed much of the experience for me. A lot of players used them to automate their questing experience, hence knowing where every quest was and which ones were needed to level up as efficiently as possible. Then there are addons that gave a list of all the Heals, DPS, and Tanks online in the world with the opportunity to whisper them, though I think this might have been a part of the actual game. Who knows what else I may have forgotten.

Because of addons, there was a notable reduction in player character interaction and role-playing, and I ended up feeling like I was playing an even [censored] version of Retail.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Because of addons, there was a notable reduction in player character interaction and role-playing...

Right.

I just find the pros of add-ons are far outweighed by the cons. Add-ons give convenience, but I feel far too much of the games fun is compromised by having everything automated for me with one click of a button.

Interesting observations above - though I disagree.

None of the games I play that allow and support add-ons have any that automate play, nor confer an advantage over others as they are available to all.

I have a gaming PC connected to fiber over an ISP located close to the servers along with gaming peripherals that include programmable functions - that gives me much more of an advantage than an add-on that allows me to reskin the UI, add filters, sorts, and search to inventory and crafting, or provides measurement of performance.

But it doesn't really matter one way or the other in SWTOR - to support add-ons would require a large development effort along with continued development support, and that just isn't going to happen.

Edited by DawnAskham

Addons are basically cheatcodes.

Not necessarily. Add-ons, such as in Skyrim SE (which I also make cheat mods for), can be such things as high-resolution retextures, object replacements for weapons, skin recolors, revamped sky, weather, mist, and cloud effects, and other non-game-affecting features.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• 1 year later...

There is one star prase, to be honest i hate that addon and it shouldnt be allowed to use. it divieds teh community completly in game so it shouldnt be suported. not to mention it leaks memoryies and making the game laggy as hell. an in game damage or healing counter or meter would be nice like Details in WoW case but not from outer source addons or applycations. And timers like DBM (deadly boss mod from WoW) thiese should be inside of the game for raiders wich can be turnned on and off in the game options menu. i dont like using third party programs like star prashe.and guilds are constantly demanding them even for SM opses i mean lol :D in nim or hm i would say okay if the program is not leaking memomries and making the game completly laggy.

There is one star prase, to be honest i hate that addon and it shouldnt be allowed to use.

In the sense that people are asking for, Star Parse isn't an add-on. It's a completely external program that reads the combat logs that SWTOR can write. The general request around add-ons is for things that integrate properly into the game in the same way that mods are in WoW or ESO or off-line games like Skyrim.

There is one star prase, to be honest i hate that addon and it shouldnt be allowed to use. it divieds teh community completly in game so it shouldnt be suported. not to mention it leaks memoryies and making the game laggy as hell. an in game damage or healing counter or meter would be nice like Details in WoW case but not from outer source addons or applycations. And timers like DBM (deadly boss mod from WoW) thiese should be inside of the game for raiders wich can be turnned on and off in the game options menu. i dont like using third party programs like star prashe.and guilds are constantly demanding them even for SM opses i mean lol :D in nim or hm i would say okay if the program is not leaking memomries and making the game completly laggy.

Hyporcrism in its purest.

1. Details is not implemented automatically in WoW, it is an addon.

2. What exactly about an addon that shows your DPS/HPS "divides" a community? If I have to choose between a DPS that does maximum amount of DPS and someone who does not even 1% of that then ofc I'm going to choose the minmaxer DPS because it helps the group overall.

3. You don't like an addon that shows DPS/HPS (that can help players to improve in their class and rotation) but on the other side you want an addon like DBM which literally tells the player every single step he has to do on a bossfight. SWTOR is already the easiest MMO out there (besides Hello Kitty Online) that we really don't need another tool that tells the player what he has to do.

It is a mystery to me how someone can think that addons are "cheats". Yep, improving my UI definitely seems like a cheat to me. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jesseriah

I think it was a good decision not to allow addons. So its easier to design Raids and encounter when then devs not to have to look what addons there out in the playerbase to adjust the encounters. I hope they will never change this.

Edited by Master_Morak

I think it was a good decision not to allow addons. So its easier to design Raids and encounter when then devs not to have to look what addons there out in the playerbase to adjust the encounters. I hope they will never change this.

You cannot adjust bosses with an addon. Thats literally impossible. The only thing you can do is help players get like warnings on their screen when a void they have to avoid is happening for example. I feel like the majority in this forum doesn't even know what addons do.

Edited by Jesseriah

QOL addons would show you datacrons or resource nodes, maybe integrate the star-parse functionality. Why would encounters need to be adjusted?

The great thing about Addons? UI customisation. All those annoying UI elements the dev team added recently? In ESO addons to customize or disable them, even improve them or fix bugs would have been available within days.

ESO's last update broke inventory filtering so that when you opened a box in the inventory, the filter would be cleared. Very annoying. Addon to fix it was released on patch day. Here? After 7 years, next week's patch is finally supposed to fix the conquest-winner banner getting stuck on the screen.

On the other hand, in ESO "disable addons" is the first response whenever performance issues and other things that might be client-side are reported. Great way to shut up the complainers in a game where you need addons for basic mmo functionalities, like a mini map or multiple quests on the HUD.

Edited by Mubrak

QOL addons would show you datacrons or resource nodes, maybe integrate the star-parse functionality. Why would encounters need to be adjusted?

They need to b e adjusted because the Addons decrease the difficultiy. Look for example at DBM in WoW. It give commands when you have to spot, it give warnings to leave effects, etc.

In SWTOR you have to look on your own there is no "go little girl go" to leave and the tanks have to play together and to communicate when to spot and no Add-On says them now "spot" etc.

I play both games and in my opinion the HC-Raids in SWTOR are more challenging then the HC-Raids in WoW.

Edited by Master_Morak

Hyporcrism in its purest.

1. Details is not implemented automatically in WoW, it is an addon.

2. What exactly about an addon that shows your DPS/HPS "divides" a community? If I have to choose between a DPS that does maximum amount of DPS and someone who does not even 1% of that then ofc I'm going to choose the minmaxer DPS because it helps the group overall.

3. You don't like an addon that shows DPS/HPS (that can help players to improve in their class and rotation) but on the other side you want an addon like DBM which literally tells the player every single step he has to do on a bossfight. SWTOR is already the easiest MMO out there (besides Hello Kitty Online) that we really don't need another tool that tells the player what he has to do.

It is a mystery to me how someone can think that addons are "cheats". Yep, improving my UI definitely seems like a cheat to me. :rolleyes:

Here's what I see everywhere else with a DPS meter style addon: "DPS needed must parse x". Guess what, if you don't parse x, or don't know what your parse is because you don't use the meter, you're divided from the community that does. Read 3, in your very post, for confirmation...

They need to b e adjusted because the Addons decrease the difficultiy. Look for example at DBM in WoW. It give commands when you have to spot, it give warnings to leave effects, etc.

In SWTOR you have to look on your own there is no "go little girl go" to leave and the tanks have to play together and to communicate when to spot and no Add-On says them now "spot" etc.

I play both games and in my opinion the HC-Raids in SWTOR are more challenging then the HC-Raids in WoW.

SWTOR does have some challenging raids, many that I thoroughly enjoy, but it pales in comparison to WoW for challenging end-game (and falls significantly behind with respect to continuously updating said end-game with fresh content).

Oh and StarParse has trimers and such that provide much the same thing as DBM in WoW - though it requires a bit more user effort to set up.

Here's what I see everywhere else with a DPS meter style addon: "DPS needed must parse x". Guess what, if you don't parse x, or don't know what your parse is because you don't use the meter, you're divided from the community that does. Read 3, in your very post, for confirmation...

Already happens in SWTOR - want to join a NiM group, good luck without providing data on your performance such as StarParse results.

Edited by DawnAskham

SWTOR does have some challenging raids, many that I thoroughly enjoy, but it pales in comparison to WoW for challenging end-game (and falls significantly behind with respect to continuously updating said end-game with fresh content).

Oh and StarParse has trimers and such that provide much the same thing as DBM in WoW - though it requires a bit more user effort to set up.

Already happens in SWTOR - want to join a NiM group, good luck without providing data on your performance such as StarParse results.

It's been happening a good long while, Story mode ops requiring NiM rated gear has been a thing since RotHC, which is when I got here. Requiring achievements for the op, etc.