Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank Shielding Changes Coming in 5.9.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Tank Shielding Changes Coming in 5.9.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
06.28.2018 , 08:55 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

One of the topics we have seen quite a bit of feedback about is the viability of tanks in PvP. There are a few reasons for this which we would still like to address down the line, but we have one change planned for 5.9.2 which we hope will help their survivability in PvP. This will also help incentivize tanks to wear tanking gear in PvP.
  • Critical hits are now affected by Shield / Absorb.
Currently, only regular hits from players can be impacted by shield procs. By including crits, this gives the potential for much more damage mitigation for tanks when being targeted by DPS classes. Here is a very basic example. Letís say a normal hit would do 1,000 damage and a critical hit would do 2,000 damage. You are a tank and when your shield procs, you reduce damage by 25%. Previously you could reduce the normal hit to 750 damage, but would always take the 2,000 from a crit. After 5.9.2 you can also reduce the critical hit damage down to 1,500. This allows shield and absorb to be a direct counter-stat to Crit Rating for DPS classes.

Let us know your thoughts.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Lhancelot
06.28.2018 , 08:59 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

One of the topics we have seen quite a bit of feedback about is the viability of tanks in PvP. There are a few reasons for this which we would still like to address down the line, but we have one change planned for 5.9.2 which we hope will help their survivability in PvP. This will also help incentivize tanks to wear tanking gear in PvP.
Currently, only regular hits from players can be impacted by shield procs. By including crits, this gives the potential for much more damage mitigation for tanks when being targeted by DPS classes. Here is a very basic example. Letís say a normal hit would do 1,000 damage and a critical hit would do 2,000 damage. You are a tank and when your shield procs, you reduce damage by 25%. Previously you could reduce the normal hit to 750 damage, but would always take the 2,000 from a crit. After 5.9.2 you can also reduce the critical hit damage down to 1,500. This allows shield and absorb to be a direct counter-stat to Crit Rating for DPS classes.

-eric
Thanks for considering tank stats and making them useful in PVP. Sounds like another great step in the right direction.

I only wonder how this impacts their damage though, more survivability means longer life means more sustained damage. I hope this works.

I want to see tanks that play like real tanks, meaning hard to kill. I always think of the tanks on Warhammer Online and how they were ultra hard to kill. The balance there was the tanks did little damage in PVP though.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

VaeVictis
06.28.2018 , 09:02 AM | #3
*shrug* My basically impossible to kill Corruption/Darkness duo just became more impossible to kill. Sounds good for me, not so good for puggers.

Banderal
06.28.2018 , 09:03 AM | #4

-eric
OMG.

Here's my thoughts.

I would put more, but the forum police won't let me.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

yellow_
06.28.2018 , 09:07 AM | #5
Bioware, by all means adjust how mitigation stats work in PVP to make tanks function the way you like.

But please know this: if you do not change how they work in such a way to make DPS gear less effective than it is now it will continue to be the "meta."

The reason why is that even if you're wearing full dps gear (with a shield that has more dps mods in it) in most situations you are still plenty tanky because so much of tank survivability is a result of their abilities and passives and NOT THEIR GEAR. And this actually just got even MORE TRUE! DPS geared tanks will benefit from this change, not as much as mit tanks, but they will benefit nonetheless so this "usually tanky enough" even in DPS gear problem just got slightly worse tbh. The impact of this is that wearing mitigation gear translates into absolutely ruining your damage 100% of the time in order to be more survivable....which is only useful some fraction of the time. For example, group ranked rounds are rarely lost because the tank was too squishy because he's wearing DPS gear. The same goes for many warzone situations.

Far too often, it's just not "worth it" to gut your damage to be more survivable to be worth dropping the DPS gear.

If you want DPS gear to not be the meta, you need to make it less effective at improving tank damage or make it negatively impact their survivability much more than it currently does (which probably means reducing how effective their passives/abilities are by default). Or implement the change many have suggested about the amount of damage guard redirects scaling based on your mitigation.

If you're fine with tanks in DPS gear being meta and just want to make mitigation more viable...go ahead I guess!

RikuvonDrake
06.28.2018 , 09:07 AM | #6
This is amazing and will finally make real tanks viable in PvP, instead of us currently having to get 3-4 different types of gear setups to ensure we are viable.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

ultimarb
06.28.2018 , 09:08 AM | #7
Hey folks,

-eric
Their was a reason for limiting tanks for regular warzones up to two? Buffing them now would have the opposite effect.
On Tulak Hord you have some major problems in pvp. Far too many tanks in regular warzones. far too many guards in regular warzones.
the result is that even skilled teams need way to long to kill tanks and guarded targets.

So my advice is to limit tansk and healers as planed and leave those tank stats as it is now.
You guys should thinking of doing one step after another and not just do one changed and undo it with another change.

AdjeYo
06.28.2018 , 09:08 AM | #8
Thanks Bioware. This has been something I wanted for a long time and I'm very glad you're finally changing this.

Banderal
06.28.2018 , 09:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Thanks for considering tank stats and making them useful in PVP. Sounds like another great step in the right direction.

I only wonder how this impacts their damage though, more survivability means longer life means more sustained damage. I hope this works.

I want to see tanks that play like real tanks, meaning hard to kill. I always think of the tanks on Warhammer Online and how they were ultra hard to kill. The balance there was the tanks did little damage in PVP though.
Well, hopefully stacking shield/absorb will result in a loss of crit/power/mastery, which will result in a loss of DPS... right? I guess it's another thing to consider in the balance equations, and, granted, bioware does not have a good history when it comes to balance changes. But I still think it's a step in the right direction, in making "tank gear" more useful if you want to go that way.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

AdjeYo
06.28.2018 , 09:10 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ultimarb View Post
Their was a reason for limiting tanks for regular warzones up to two? Buffing them now would have the opposite effect.
On Tulak Hord you have some major problems in pvp. Far too many tanks in regular warzones. far too many guards in regular warzones.
the result is that even skilled teams need way to long to kill tanks and guarded targets.

So my advice is to limit tansk and healers as planed and leave those tank stats as it is now.
You guys should thinking of doing one step after another and not just do one changed and undo it with another change.
Well they are making the change to max number of tanks anyways. This should incentivice those tanks to actually run tank stats. So you will probably see a lot less skanks around in pvp because of this, while it's actually a buff to those playing actual tanks.