Anthem getting an overhaul/rework

Darth-Obvious

So while all signs point to Anthem being dead. Apparently it's getting a complete overhaul/rework called "Anthem Next" similar to what happened with Final Fantasy 14 & A Realm Reborn

https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem-1839892415

Wish Bioware/EA had doubled down on SWTOR like that after it's launch didn't go according to plan.

My first instinct is to be salty AF they're doing this after Scrooge McDucking SWTOR post launch + that they're apparently having BW Austin do a lot of it... which means we're getting the short end of the stick even more.

But on further thought... if it pans out it might herald an actual positive change of mentality over at EA... a departure from the "launch it and put it in maintenance mode if it's not the next big thing" model.... so some good may come to this game or at least EAs other projects yet.

Edited by aeterno

My first instinct is to be salty AF they're doing this after Scrooge McDucking SWTOR post launch + that they're apparently having BW Austin do a lot of it... which means we're getting the short end of the stick even more.

But on further thought... if it pans out it might herald an actual positive change of mentality over at EA... a departure from the "launch it and put it in maintenance mode if it's not the next big thing" model.... so some good may come to this game or at least EAs other projects yet.

I think they're putting so much effort into keeping anthem alive because it's their original i.p. unlike Star Wars which belongs to Disney. They stand to make a LOT more money in the long run with a "games as service" that they get 100% of the profits from as opposed to SW giving them a percentage. They bet big on anthem and lost, and now they're trying to recover.

I Actually hope they don't succeed in resurrecting that dead horse tho.... simply because they'll come to the conclusion that "games as service" bull crap is the business model to use and they'll completely infect franchises like Dragon Age and Mass Effect with always online functionality, and fill it with "surprise mechanics".

Well there goes another one of Ben Irvings succsesful projects.... hopefully they do see the pattern here. I havent played Anthem, dont have the time and its not my kind of game, but i watched a lot of streams of it. To be honest I cannot really see the reason for it being unsuccsesful, but for me the game is very confusing and I do not get what the strongholds are about, how the boss fights work since its all very confusing.

It looks like a nice game to play for story and to run through it, but I dont see this as a MMO which will keep the people busy for years. I do wish EA and Bioware the best but this really isnt the way to go. I hope it iwll not influence the work on swtor again.

I hope they can make the game better and add more content with more replay value.

The game itself is very beautiful, I love the storm javelin and the gameplay. And the story wasn´t that terrible.

Just a bit flat for Bioware standards.

BUT there wasn´t enough content and the end felt rushed. The monitor should have had more buildup.

And if we could chat with other players, that would be great :)

is it worth getting now? for 50 euros on playstation?

I dunno, I was watching the streams and the game seems very clunky. The engine is strange and the physics sometimes seems funny cause the monsters turn suddenly a different direction, when they run and hit something go get thrown in the air..... simply it has its glitches. The combat seemed silly. Some stormtroopers you kill with one reflected bolt but others you have to cut 6 times to kill.

I was used to the "one way map" in Force Unleased, but this is free exploring, which is kinda boring. So overall I will not be getting this, but its my opinion only.

To be honest I cannot really see the reason for it being unsuccsesful.

In no particular order;

• Bugs
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Lack of endgame content.
  • Bad UI design.
  • Awful AI design.

Basically, if they still can't get the loot part right for a "looter shooter" they should just give up now, they've worked on it and somehow I think they've actually made it worse just to extend the grind. Very limited endgame (nowhere near enough content produced there), alongside some truly awful AI.

Honestly I wish them good luck if they think they can revive it. They'll need it, especially if they think they can charge players for it all over again.

I wonder if the sources saying some are calling it Anthem Next are trying to hint that they think it's a bad idea, considering EQNext failed to get out of development.

well the secret world went that direction (They teamed up with EA too, you should've seen the Panic when they saw EA logo lol), cose the game was too hard and not many players . So the new secret world Next, as far as I'm aware worked . They nerfed the difficulty (I know cose in the original, I had to try like 15 time to kill this boss called the Boogeyman, and on the new TSW , I only got 2 try and he was dead), and it seem to be working fine for them. They even added an Optional Sub system, and more stuff in the cash shop .

But Anthem failed .

My friend Xbox1 broke and she went to the store to replace it with a new one, and she said her new console came with a free copy of Anthem (Which she said she never gonna touch). She said they are giving it away for free at this point......

I hope this new overhaul fail as well . My grieve isn't about Swtor, but I have a copy of MEA that SUCK!!! Fix that!!

In no particular order;

• Bugs
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Loot drops
  • Lack of endgame content.
  • Bad UI design.
  • Awful AI design.

Basically, if they still can't get the loot part right for a "looter shooter" they should just give up now, they've worked on it and somehow I think they've actually made it worse just to extend the grind. Very limited endgame (nowhere near enough content produced there), alongside some truly awful AI.

Honestly I wish them good luck if they think they can revive it. They'll need it, especially if they think they can charge players for it all over again.

Hmm ok, i was just watching the streams so I couldnt tell this from those. I did watch streams of Jedi Fallen Order and there were clearly visible bugs there and many other issues. I didnt see this in Anthem streams for example.

• 2 months later...
So looks like this is true

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/02/10/anthem-update-february-10/

I wonder how many resources again have been pulled from SWTOR to make this happen

A lot. Squeenix cancelled and stalled multiple projects to move resources and manpower forFFXIV's Realm Reborn overhaul. No wonder the recent "roadmap" for SWTOR was as vague and empty as possible as there's simply little to come.

Edited by Pietrastor

So looks like this is true

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/02/10/anthem-update-february-10/

I wonder how many resources again have been pulled from SWTOR to make this happen

I think that's great news for the 5 or 6 people that still play the game, but I think Anthem is truly dead in the water and it's a waste of resources.

After the launch they had, and then the story Jason Schreier published about the games development, then the complete scrapping of the roadmap, then the exodus of people from Bioware, I think you'd be a fool to believe them.

Does anyone really want to see an Anthem 2.0?

I mean really?

Really? :rolleyes:

To quote The Simpsons: "Stop, Stop! He's already dead!"

The fact that they are still pumping money and resources into that game over SWTOR really doesn't paint a pretty picture for us to be honest.

I know that they only had a limited time contract on being able to make/update this game and it only has 3 more years until that contract is up. To me it sounds like they have already given up on this game and are focusing on one that doesn't have a expirey date.

This blows so hard that AGAIN we are getting ****ed because of that game not to mention that they are also working on DA4 and if rumors are true a KOTOR remake which is the only shining light we have to look forwards to which with how bad reforged was i don't have much hope in a KOTOR remake nowadays either.

The fact that they are still pumping money and resources into that game over SWTOR really doesn't paint a pretty picture for us to be honest.

I know that they only had a limited time contract on being able to make/update this game and it only has 3 more years until that contract is up. To me it sounds like they have already given up on this game and are focusing on one that doesn't have a expirey date.

This blows so hard that AGAIN we are getting ****ed because of that game not to mention that they are also working on DA4 and if rumors are true a KOTOR remake which is the only shining light we have to look forwards to which with how bad reforged was i don't have much hope in a KOTOR remake nowadays either.

SWTOR contract is separate from 10-year exclusivity deal EA has with Disney, SWTOR was commisioned way before that. Doesn't change the fact that any major Anthem redevlopement pretty much equals less resources for SWTOR. Ironic, as unless there's some miracle FFXIV/ESO/NMS style rehaul, Anthem will only waste more money, resources and manpower while stable-even-if-not-megahit SWTOR will once again miss out on a chance to be more than it is.