Roleplaying vs. Character story

Froederick

I've never been much of a roleplayer, but I have dabbled in it. From what I understand there are certain "rules" to good role play. One of which being you shouldn't try to roleplay a character that is too powerful or has been too influential on the lore, "godmode" so to speak.

My question then is do you roleplayers largely ignore the character stories?

I mean it would be kind of difficult to not play a "godmode" character if the character story was part of your roleplay, wouldn't it?

Edited by Froederick

I think it's safe to say good/veteran RPers aren't going to, for example, have their Sith Warrior character being the Emperor's Wrath.

But your characters could be Darths, members of the Dark Council, members of the Jedi Council, Masters, etc. There are some limits to it, as with anything. Thought it would be rather uninspired to just follow the character storyline.

I think it's safe to say good/veteran RPers aren't going to, for example, have their Sith Warrior character being the Emperor's Wrath.

But your characters could be Darths, members of the Dark Council, members of the Jedi Council, Masters, etc. There are some limits to it, as with anything. Thought it would be rather uninspired to just follow the character storyline.

i'd assume anyone claiming to be on the dark council or jedi council to be bad RPers, unless they pulled it off amazingly well

i'd assume anyone claiming to be on the dark council or jedi council to be bad RPers, unless they pulled it off amazingly well

It would, to me, not be as horrible. As long as they don't plan to play it as ordering everyone around all the time. If they play a Council member just to be 'da boss' then there is a problem, yeah. If they play up the role bearing in mind that their power is limited by those they play with... it'd be nice.

Being on the Dark Council, for example, would offer up plots that would ultimately fail. Say, for example, my character is deciding to kill Darth Marr and allow his apprentice, a toady firmly in my corner, to take his place. As said, it would ultimately fail, but it could foster interesting RP that spans planets.

Of course, this type of intrigue would be common even amongst the normal Darths.

Rule of thumb is "don't overshadow".

Generally it's a good idea to RP a character who's on the same level as the other RPers, because that makes it easier not to steal the show as it were.

If you really want to RP somebody who's a step up on the ladder compared to the people you're RPing with, then it's generally a good idea to go out of your way to give the other guys spotlight too. If you're on the same side, then you can RP standing back and letting your "minions" do the dirty work. If you're on opposite sides then you can RP being weakened somehow (maybe you've just come out of a tough battle, or your power base is being undermined behind the scenes, or whatever) so you won't steamroll the other players and it'll be a more even showing.

Rule of thumb is "don't overshadow".

Generally it's a good idea to RP a character who's on the same level as the other RPers, because that makes it easier not to steal the show as it were.

If you really want to RP somebody who's a step up on the ladder compared to the people you're RPing with, then it's generally a good idea to go out of your way to give the other guys spotlight too. If you're on the same side, then you can RP standing back and letting your "minions" do the dirty work. If you're on opposite sides then you can RP being weakened somehow (maybe you've just come out of a tough battle, or your power base is being undermined behind the scenes, or whatever) so you won't steamroll the other players and it'll be a more even showing.

I'd agree mostly... but add in the effect of 'Saturday morning villain' if RPing against enemies. Basically the whole:

'I could dispatch you easily, but such matters are beneath me. *Turns and walks off* Enjoy the company of my Apprentice, he and my soldiers shall be more than a match.'