Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sheild Choice: Charged Plating Question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Sheild Choice: Charged Plating Question

Yndras
02.25.2014 , 10:47 PM | #1
Bioware,

Could you please answer a question on how charged plating works with the armour choices on the FT-6 Pike. I would like to know if the passive damage reduction is additive to the active skill.

For example,

Method 1 - additive

Passive damage reduction of 5% is added to active ability reduction of 60% giving 65% of hull damage reduction.
500 - 65% = 175
method 2 - accumulative

Passive damage reduction of 5% is applied after the active ability reduction of 60% is applied to the damage.
500 - 60% = 200 - 5% = 190
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

FridgeLM
02.25.2014 , 11:53 PM | #2
Don't bother. All the good weapons have 100% armor pen, and it completely nullifies any damage reduction.
<Death and Taxes>

Verain
02.26.2014 , 12:25 AM | #3
It appears that it is ADDITIVE- your first method. You can get a very high damage reduction this way, but everything that "ignores armor" entirely ignores this, as the above post says.

MrWoolie
02.26.2014 , 12:59 AM | #4
Charge plating won't stop what matters most: Heavy burst damage, because weapons that are capable of doing that (BLC, slug rail gun, concussion missles, proton torpedoes, rocket pods [maybe, because it was nerfed recently]), also have armor pen.
POT5 - Spectrum Legacy
Ivekov - 55 + 8 other Crew Skill holders
Wookie Clothing Manufacturer since 1977.

Yndras
02.26.2014 , 01:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MrWoolie View Post
Charge plating won't stop what matters most: Heavy burst damage, because weapons that are capable of doing that (BLC, slug rail gun, concussion missles, proton torpedoes, rocket pods [maybe, because it was nerfed recently]), also have armor pen.
I don't believe so. Why have an ability that is ignored completely by 50% of the weapons available.

No, I think it only ignores the equipped armour slot for ships that have it.
Bandeeto, Mercenary

FridgeLM
02.26.2014 , 02:02 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Yndras View Post
I don't believe so. Why have an ability that is ignored completely by 50% of the weapons available.

No, I think it only ignores the equipped armour slot for ships that have it.
You are mistaken.

All armor piercing weapons pierce all damage reduction - be they through passives, armor slots, or abilities - 100%, making those damage reductions effectively useless.
<Death and Taxes>

Yndras
02.26.2014 , 01:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
You are mistaken.

All armor piercing weapons pierce all damage reduction - be they through passives, armor slots, or abilities - 100%, making those damage reductions effectively useless.
I reserve judgement until I get confirmation of that. THe above does not sound feasible.
Bandeeto, Mercenary

Itkovian
02.26.2014 , 01:49 PM | #8
I reserve judgement until I get confirmation of that. THe above does not sound feasible.
It is, that's how it works. That's why nobody uses Charged Plating anymore. Very sadly, I admit.

Armonddd
02.26.2014 , 01:56 PM | #9
Yeah, it's kinda dumb, but that's how it is.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Sidenti
02.26.2014 , 02:19 PM | #10
Former Charged Plating user here - I can confirm through personal experience what these guys are saying about Ignore Armor is true. It's fantastic against loadouts that don't include things like Burst Laser Cannons, Heavy Lasers and Concussion Missiles (they Ignore on the last tier, I believe), but for anything that ignores armor you're gonna be a sitting duck.

This is unlikely to change.