Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Beating a dead horse: my issue with Gunships.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Beating a dead horse: my issue with Gunships.

DEATHICIDE
02.23.2014 , 01:14 PM | #11
One ion shot does not drain all your engine power, or deactivate your precious barrel-roll.

If you have no engine power at all and get smacked with a fully upgraded ion, then grab a tissue, that is your malfunction, not the game designer's.
Republic Diehard-Imperial Diehard-Founder Of The Old Republic

The Most Valuable - Devastator - Fleet Admiral - Space Magnate

Armonddd
02.23.2014 , 01:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DEATHICIDE View Post
One ion shot does not drain all your engine power, or deactivate your precious barrel-roll.

If you have no engine power at all and get smacked with a fully upgraded ion, then grab a tissue, that is your malfunction, not the game designer's.
And that makes it all the more fun and balanced, right?
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Nomaad
02.23.2014 , 01:17 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
The horse ain't dead until something's done to kill it.
Not only do I beat the horse till dead...BUT I EAT THE HORSE TOO!

DEATHICIDE
02.23.2014 , 01:27 PM | #14
And that makes it all the more fun and balanced, right?
Yes.
I hope this isn't more of your sarcasm, because I have no problem dominating gunships in any ship.

The other day I was even hunting them with great success in a couple domination matches while flying a freakin' 2 tier bomber.

I really hope the devs use numbers to justify their changes rather than pandering to whiners for GSF.

QQing in PvP has lead to some pretty stupid changes in the past.

I would hate to see the same happen here.
Republic Diehard-Imperial Diehard-Founder Of The Old Republic

The Most Valuable - Devastator - Fleet Admiral - Space Magnate

Zoom_VI
02.23.2014 , 01:42 PM | #15

Except every scout runs at 40-70% engine power in combat. If they have full engine power pool they are doing it wrong. And ion leaves them with no power and unable to regen so they can't roll and that's assuming they have BR, which not everyone does.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Armonddd
02.23.2014 , 02:40 PM | #16
Yes.
I hope this isn't more of your sarcasm, because I have no problem dominating gunships in any ship.
It was sarcasm, because being hit by ion is never fun. The whole concept of sitting dead in space waiting for the slug to hit and kill you so you can respawn and do anything is not fun and I don't know why it made it past alpha.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

BobBudJones
02.23.2014 , 03:19 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
OK first off why did you choose merc and not the obvious choice which is Sniper?

Secondly Merc gets stronger the closer you are to it, see: flame thrower and rocket punch. GS gets weaker, you can use rail gun at close range but not reliably. While mercs ranged abilitiys are still 100% effective.

also there is a gap closer inGSF available to every ship save the bomber. It's called Barrel roll.
Because I've played Merc a lot more than sniper. And no, Merc does not get stronger the closer you get. Flame thrower and Rocket punch are good on PTs but garbage on a merc.

Sorry, but barrel roll is not a truly effective gap closer because it is also the only real escape from lock on missiles. You can't just go spamming it as a gap closer, and besides, you shouldn't have one choice among 4 engine choices that is a "must have" if you want to be able to close a gap.

BobBudJones
02.23.2014 , 03:22 PM | #18
Yes.

I really hope the devs use numbers to justify their changes rather than pandering to whiners for GSF.
Pretty sure if we could see the numbers, Gunships average damage per match would completely blow away any other ship, and likely Kill/Assist/Death ratio as well.

Sure there are some amazing scout and striker pilots out there, but compare the whole population and gunnies just win, big.

Still waiting for a good argument as to why this kind of range/CC/gap-closing imbalance is cool in GSF but not in other PvP.

BobBudJones
02.23.2014 , 03:23 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Except every scout runs at 40-70% engine power in combat. If they have full engine power pool they are doing it wrong. And ion leaves them with no power and unable to regen so they can't roll and that's assuming they have BR, which not everyone does.
^^ This. And it goes for strikers, too. Not only can you not use barrel roll (if you have it) you're flying at a snail's pace (upgraded ion gun slows you even further).

Delta_V
02.23.2014 , 03:38 PM | #20
It was sarcasm, because being hit by ion is never fun. The whole concept of sitting dead in space waiting for the slug to hit and kill you so you can respawn and do anything is not fun and I don't know why it made it past alpha.
That's easy. It made it past alpha because these are the same devs that apparently think the CC-spam of ground pvp is fun.

Of course, I have no idea how anyone could think a game mechanic that prevents you from playing the game is a good idea....