Questions about cluster missile/upgrades

Tsukuni

Yes, it is worth it. The dps increase is significant and really noticeable given that your clusters are your go-to missile in dogfights.

If you are a Pike you can get the ammo magazine extender which mitigates the cut to ammo that this upgrade brings, even if you are not then I think it is still worth it.

Ammo upgraded repair drones will recharge your supply too, but tbh, if you are dominating a match to the extent that you run out of missiles I usually just suck up an asteroid faceplant and get back in the fight with a fresh complement.

Double Volley is great for three reasons: +30% damage is better than +15% damage; enemies tend to die before the +15% damage dot expires, meaning you're getting less than the advertised +15% damage; and double volley is bugged so that it requires two lock breaks to prevent both missiles from landing, so you're almost always going to get 65% normal damage and often 130%.

You obviously want the ammo boost in t4 to go with it, and it's worth looking at the magazine and crew member options to extend your ammo limit even further. I personally learned to fly on a Flashfire with Kira Carsen, giving me 18 clusters, and so I don't use the ammo capacity extender.

It's also worth noting that in TDM, yellow powerups will restore some of your used ammo.

Edited by Armonddd

Double Volley is great for three reasons: +30% damage is better than +15% damage; enemies tend to die before the +15% damage dot expires, meaning you're getting less than the advertised +15% damage; and double volley is bugged so that it requires two lock breaks to prevent both missiles from landing, so you're almost always going to get 65% normal damage and often 130%.

You obviously want the ammo boost in t4 to go with it, and it's worth looking at the magazine and crew member options to extend your ammo limit even further. I personally learned to fly on a Flashfire with Kira Carsen, giving me 18 clusters, and so I don't use the ammo capacity extender.

It's also worth noting that in TDM, yellow powerups will restore some of your used ammo.

Another important thing to note: Double Volley does not affect the crew member capacity bonus. On a Flashfire, the base capacity is 20, with both capacity options taken, it increases to 30. But with Double Volley selected, you get 18 missiles, instead of the 15 you would expect.

so you're almost always going to get 65% normal damage and often 130%.

Where do you get those numbers?

The damage of the cluster missiles is split into 50/50 for each volley.

683 dmg for a base missile + 30% dmg = 888 dmg -> split up in two volleys = 444 per volley.

Thats how the damage of Double Volley is calculated.

Edit:

Okay, now i got it. You meant 65% of a base cluster missile. *doh*

Edited by Sindariel

Despite all the advantages (and the easily exploitable bug) of double cluster volley, I still prefer my plasma warheads.

I switched to double cluster and noticed my damage actually went DOWN, not up.

But I think that has to do with my ambush predator playstyle - I seek and destroy and am usually the only person on my target - the plasma warheads keep their shields from regenning if they boost out of range of my burst cannons.

Despite all the advantages (and the easily exploitable bug) of double cluster volley, I still prefer my plasma warheads.

But I think that has to do with my ambush predator playstyle - I seek and destroy and am usually the only person on my target - the plasma warheads keep their shields from regenning if they boost out of range of my burst cannons.

^^ this for me as well. I like to get in close to blow them up with burst cannons. Missiles just alert them of my presence. I guess it depends on how much to depend on missiles for that extra damage.

I also have a question. It seems as if the second volley of double clusters doesn't have shield pen. If I BR out of the missile lock I will see my outer shield arc go down from the second volley but i don't see any hull damage. Is my assumption true?

Kill things faster! Obvious solution is obvious.

I also have a question. It seems as if the second volley of double clusters doesn't have shield pen. If I BR out of the missile lock I will see my outer shield arc go down from the second volley but i don't see any hull damage. Is my assumption true?

It's 40-44 hull damage. The HUD for hull damage isn't very... precise. (I think it shows differences in eighths of the total?) It's probably just not enough to register any change in the UI, which is unfortunate.

Do they have a show text option for our hull and shields (At school and can't look it up myself)? If they don't I think they should add it into the UI customization options. Don't get me wrong running around as a huge fireball is an obvious indication I'm close to exploding but it would be nice to know exactly how close.

Do they have a show text option for our hull and shields (At school and can't look it up myself)?

Noooooope.

There's a lot of things they could have done with the hull/shields UI that they didn't. Text indicators is just one thing they could have done (and probably my least favorite, because iirc the brain tends to analyze text less quickly than graphical indicators).