Tanking Lost Island HM in Columi?

I have heard people say that you need half Rakata to tank Lost Island HM, and I have heard half Columi, and even Battlemaster. I am a few pieces away from being full Columi and was thinking about queuing for LI HM.

My thinking is that if LI HM drops Columi it means that the FP can be done in half Columi. I do not want the FP to be easy, I do not think content is fun unless you wipe at least twice. But I am wondering if people are queuing in recruit or greens. I think the FP is doable in Columi, but only if the group is also in similar gear.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback on peoples experience with using the group finder to do LI HM. Thanks for taking the time to read, any feedback would be appreciated.

I have heard people say that you need half Rakata to tank Lost Island HM, and I have heard half Columi, and even Battlemaster. I am a few pieces away from being full Columi and was thinking about queuing for LI HM.

My thinking is that if LI HM drops Columi it means that the FP can be done in half Columi. I do not want the FP to be easy, I do not think content is fun unless you wipe at least twice. But I am wondering if people are queuing in recruit or greens. I think the FP is doable in Columi, but only if the group is also in similar gear.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback on peoples experience with using the group finder to do LI HM. Thanks for taking the time to read, any feedback would be appreciated.

i've done it but it requires you have good healer and good dps. Everyone must know the fights really well.

I would be against doing it if everyone in the group was not full columi or better. I think that LI HM should drop rakata as it's tier 2. Why does it drop the same stuff as Taral V HM? It's really quite illogical.

It's entirely doable. I did it in Columi and I'm, at best, a mediocre tank. I ran with guildies so we had two competent and well geared DPS who had done the instance many times before and we had a very well geared healer (Mercenary and everything! :eek:). The only reasons we wiped was because I was being a bit dim and trying to tank in Shii-cho form.

The tanking role is more forgiving of PVP gear than healing or DPS roles, IMO. The defensive stats on PVP gear (Armor, Shield, Defense, Absorb) are roughly equal to PVE gear of the same item level, though your Endurance will be a bit lower. Your main stat is going to be a LOT lower, but fortunately, as a tank, your DPS isn't all that important.

'Stock' Columi is better than 'stock' Rakata for tanks, due to the excessive amount of accuracy on Rakata gear.

While better gear helps, tanking in Lost Island is more about skill than gear. For the robot boss, the tank must interrupt all incinerate (even when moving). For 'Donkey Kong', you need to position the boss away from the group so they don't get the swipe attack. For Dr Lorrick, fight him near the kolto tank and use it to LoS his bomb satchets. The first time I cleared LI, I only have around 22k hp in Columi gear (with stim), and it was more than adequate.

I did tank as shadow (succesfully) LI HM in full orange gear with daily quest modification, not even tionese level gear. Only earpiece and implant were columi/rakata. pre 1.3 nerf on the shadow, with 2 range DPS.

So yes, as long as the group play well, the FP is a cake in full columi.

specifically about the shadow, it's the only tank that can interrupt at 10m range which make the incinerate cast within the bubble a non issue. Beside, shadow can self dispell incinerate with resillience if necessary.

Edited by Vankris

doable, but expect to get booted by the other 3 people once they see your gear, especially if you're sporting BM gear.

it is doable if you have a good healer and 2 very good dps.

the instance requires a good tank that can position the bosses correctly. having the gear is only the entry ticket, if you know the stuff, and exactly what to do, you can mitigate a lot of the damage.

I'm one of 2 lvl 50 Tanks in our guild and we have done LI HM in Columi, mixed with a little War Hero and 1 piece of Rakata (the ear piece in my case). As I think everyone has already said this Flashpoint, more than any other, requires a good team. You need a healer who can keep you alive, and Tank who can keep the Bosses distracted (mainly from the Healer) and DPS that can burn down the bosses and their spawns quickly and efficiently. In all the other Hardmodes you can cope (just about) with 1 player being less than skilled but not in Lost Island

You will fail Lost Island with a group in full Campaign gear if people don't know the fights.. You can carry at least 1 guy in greens if people know the fights..

It's about the people, not too much about the gear.. Last run I did with a mixed-bag Shadow tank with everything from Tionese to Rakata, a Sentinel in "I just hit 50" gear, sentinel in Rakata/columi/black hole and me as Scoundrel in the same..

We did wipe a few times, but the fresh 50 had never been there before, so it was quite ok.. We had progress at each try..

It's easy as long as you have 2 DPS thats geared enough and a geared + good healare. As they say, as long as you get pass the droid boss everything will be easy. i did it with a random group.

Tank = Full Tionese

Healer = Rakata/Columi

DPS (including me as an assault vanguard) (gunnery commando) = Commando is at Rakata/Columi ||| Vanguard which is me, MIX of BH and WH gears.

All of us knows the fight.

Our tank only has 18k HP if i remember it right.

You're good, just make sure you read up on the fights. The dps requirement is probably the only real limiting factor for this FP, I've had a few pugs who can follow the mechanics but just couldnt put out enough damage to beat enrages.

My guild group did Lost Island with 3 of us in non-augmented rakata and our tank in non-agumented columi. We spent 4 hours on the first boss, but we got through it. I encourage you to try Lost Island HM, it's a fun instance. Just be aware that it is the hardest of all hard mode flashpoints.

I have done LI a bunch of times, as healer, with tanks that had a mix of Tioese, Columi, Rakata, BH and Campaign and have ONLY failed when the tank was not competent or the DPS was severely lacking. Moral of the story: play smart and you can get through with almost any type of gear.

Of course, that why I prefer going there with guildmates instead of random people from Group Finder. There are some really horrible players that sign up for it.

Edited by Radzkie

So here's my experience.. As a Guardian tank, I just got my 6th columi the other day. Champion relics, bm shield/saber, and mixed everything else. The first group I was in informed me that I needed a few pieces of rakata and kicked me. About ten minutes later, they were on the fleet(failing to find another tank) whining about under geared people queuing for LI.

A few minutes later, I was in a new group. Scoundrel healer with worst gear than me, a well geared sentinel, and a dps vanguard(about my tier of gear). The Sentinel, as the only one to complete, explained every fight. We wiped twice on the robot. Wiped twice on the savra-whatever guy(graphical glitch with his leap, we were all in the target). And had no problems at all with Lorrick.

It's not just the gear. It's getting in a group with people who aren't idiots. I'd say anyone who is at least in full tionese(which you should have at least 3-4 columi of by then anyways) is perfectly fine if they are competent. Fail groups will be fail groups.

I gave it a go last night, was with 2 mellee dps and healer and we wiped 4 times. I am a Pyro Tank and have full Columi but with a Recruit shield generator and a rakata implant. 22k HP.

There is ALOT going on with this FP, Lightning bubles and Flames coming up from the floor and you've got to inturupt all those abilities that will knock you down to half health immediately.

Looking forward to giving it another go mind, spent some time afterwards reading about the battle and various tips. Knowledge is key im guessing.

What about half Black Hole and half Columni and Rakata ears and Implants.

A Bounty Hunter tank with 19,804 health and armor rating of 8408.. I understand you need a good group but would this armor be satisfactory to most players if they check and see you wearing it as a tank?

Edited by RikHar

Li HM is doable with half columi gear. Besides why would u even bother doin it if you dont need any loot from there?

I seen ppl asking for half rakata gear even, when forming groups...its just plain stupid! Bosses there aint that hard actually if you do follow proper tactics what most of the ppl wont do...seen plenty of great geared groups wipe alot in there...and i have done the place with tank that had 17k health. If u interrupt right things and avoid right things you dont need all that much of healing done...if u fail however it becomes deadly for good geared players aswell!

First boss for instance....melee dps or ranged doesnt really matter. If you interrupt incinerate and run out of the aoe fast enough its just stupidly easy fight. if u fail in 1 of these things u die. Alltho in lower level gear u should be thinkin about proper rotation for max dps for damage dealers and using your cooldowns at the best times for tanks. for healers it shouldnt be all that much of a trouble if every1 can manage following proper tactics, cause in that case there aint be all that much healing to be done. (with a little exeption on 2nd boss)