Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An Old Dog

Xakal
01.28.2012 , 11:30 AM | #1
So long story short:

I leveled an alt-Druid in WoW specced heals from lvl 10-85 and never strayed from healing as a druid for 6 years, so that type of healing comes very naturally to me.

One time I specced my Shaman as heals and thought, "I've been healing for years, how different can it be?" Ran one instance, everyone died, a lot. Respecced back to enhance.

So now as I start deciding which alt I want to heal on a few questions have arose, and I figured I would turn to my community for help. For those of you that understood the first part of this post (people who know what Druid healing is), are there any healers that play like Druids?

For those that may not be familiar, are there any healers that deal mostly with heal-over-time abilities?

I'm so green about healing in ToR that I don't even know if there is a difference between the healing play styles.

So please educate me, and help me make the best choice. Many, many thanks!

-Zylo

Kharde
01.28.2012 , 12:35 PM | #2
The one you're gonna be most familiar with would be Scoundrel/Operative.

Slow Release MedPack/Kolto Probe is a stackable (2) HoT that works kind of like Lifebloom, without the bloom at the end.
You'll get a free heal that only takes an Upper Hand/Tactical Advantage buff to use.
And Kolto Cloud/Recuperative Nanotech is akin to Wild Growth, a 4 person HoT.

Honestly the healers break down like this...

Sage/Sorc = Disc Priest with Shaman mixed in.
Scound/Op = Druid with Holy Power like mechanics.
Trooper/BH = Paladin with Earth Shield

Hope this helps.

Menisong
01.28.2012 , 12:42 PM | #3
While Smugglers and Imperial agents have a stackable heal over time, playing the class does not feel like a druid at all. In 4 man flashpoints you will get to use your HoT on the tank, but once you step up to 8 or 16 man operations, the HoT loses all synergy and you begin to spam your big heal followed by your free heal.

You will not be using your HoT like rejuv, it is good to keep on the tank, but many times its better to just ignore it all together.

Xakal
01.28.2012 , 01:34 PM | #4
Kharde, thanks! I'm gonna go role an OP now and see how it feels til about 20.

Menisong, also thanks for the input. You gave me a lot of "do not's," got any "do's?"

Menisong
01.28.2012 , 01:39 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakal View Post
Kharde, thanks! I'm gonna go role an OP now and see how it feels til about 20.

Menisong, also thanks for the input. You gave me a lot of "do not's," got any "do's?"
Yes, if you are going to roll an op. When you get surgical probe it looks like this. Kolto injection followed by surgical probe. It becomes about managing your energy by weaving surgical probe between your big heals.

In 4 man flashpoints keep Kolto Probe on the tank.

Sorry if it sounded like a lot of "do nots" just didn't want you to get the impression that your class was designed around the HoTs, it is designed around Kolto Injection..at least in my opinion and at this time. I suspect big changes are coming.

Hartburn
01.29.2012 , 11:28 PM | #6
IMO, this is your chance to do something different. I played a druid in WoW and never healed with anything else. Started a BH Merc in this game, leveled as dps, switched to heals at 50 and have never looked back. It's a blast.
You can be a great healer in any setting, and can also pump out some damage if you want while in your heal spec. Most people say that Sage/Sorc is the OP healer right now with the most utility, but that won't last too long. As it was in WoW, classes will be nerfed/buffed as time goes by.
Just saying you should try something different and shoot people in the face with your guns. Don't let others talk you into a certain class unless you really just don't want to get away from the HoT healing. Just my 2 cents.
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven."

Marcato
01.31.2012 , 01:11 AM | #7
Menisong is on the money and Kharde's breakdown is not very accurate in regards to operative/scoundrel. If you like healing through HoTs primarily there is no class in this game that really falls into the Druid/Warden niche. Kolto Probe doesn't function like Lifebloom or Rejuv for that matter. Nanotech is no Wild Growth, and there's no Regrowth equivalent. It's actually odd for a game that copies so many class abilities and mechanics from WoW that they didn't clone Druid into what should apparently be the HoT healer.

In most cases you'll be chasing damage around with single target heals -- Injection + Surgical Probe right after.

RuQu
02.01.2012 , 01:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharde View Post
The one you're gonna be most familiar with would be Scoundrel/Operative.

Slow Release MedPack/Kolto Probe is a stackable (2) HoT that works kind of like Lifebloom, without the bloom at the end.
You'll get a free heal that only takes an Upper Hand/Tactical Advantage buff to use.
And Kolto Cloud/Recuperative Nanotech is akin to Wild Growth, a 4 person HoT.

Honestly the healers break down like this...

Sage/Sorc = Disc Priest with Shaman mixed in.
Scound/Op = Druid with Holy Power like mechanics.
Trooper/BH = Paladin with Earth Shield

Hope this helps.
As a combat medic (Trooper) and former WoW healer (Shaman/Disc/Druid/Pre-LK Pally), I have to say that the Trooper plays far more like a Shaman than a Pally. Earth Shield (Trauma Probe), limited range AoE that never quite hits the person you wanted (Kolto Bomb, Chain Heal), a low cooldown heal that increases your efficiency (Riptide, AP, and AP even adds a little HoT), and a medium cooldown instant heal (Bacta Infusion vs Nature's Swiftness with any heal).

It certainly doesn't resemble old-school Flash of Light spam (out of Ammo much?) or the new Holy Power mechanic based healing, and lacks anything like Beacon of Light or the new conical AoE.