Incentive for Galactic Starfighters to *not* upgrade their ship?

caronome

On a podcast the beta players said BW said that to make things fair, the matchmaking would group people with similar ship upgrades. Is this true??? ( Me thinking "because everything IRL is fair" is probably me just being old and grumpy.)

Obviously the 1337 players are driven by their own desires and insecurities. But for the silent majority, then it seems like a real disincentive to get a ship upgrade. You spend your time to grind up the upgrade, to play against better players with the same ship as you. Why not just play your unupgraded ship against like players?

At the least, BW's design seems to reward waiting until you get the 200k SR then fully upgrade your ship.

Upon reflection, I guess it is a good thing for players that BW designed a system where there is little/no/negative reward for grinding. But it seems very unlike an MMO.

On a podcast the beta players said BW said that to make things fair, the matchmaking would group people with similar ship upgrades. Is this true??? ( Me thinking "because everything IRL is fair" is probably me just being old and grumpy.)

Obviously the 1337 players are driven by their own desires and insecurities. But for the silent majority, then it seems like a real disincentive to get a ship upgrade. You spend your time to grind up the upgrade, to play against better players with the same ship as you. Why not just play your unupgraded ship against like players?

At the least, BW's design seems to reward waiting until you get the 200k SR then fully upgrade your ship.

Upon reflection, I guess it is a good thing for players that BW designed a system where there is little/no/negative reward for grinding. But it seems very unlike an MMO.

You're right, you're not forced to upgrade your ship. The system as it's designed will put you in groups with people with similarly upgraded ships, should you choose to upgrade.

The reason being very simple: Players with upgraded ships will have an unfair advantage against those who are just starting GS.

They are literally ensuring that players with superior ships aren't preying upon those with starter ships. This is not the case in many MMOs' PVP scene where starter players are the fodder for arena-geared players. I'm thinking of a game in particular and it rhymes with 'cow'.

You're right, you're not forced to upgrade your ship. The system as it's designed will put you in groups with people with similarly upgraded ships, should you choose to upgrade.

The reason being very simple: Players with upgraded ships will have an unfair advantage against those who are just starting GS.

They are literally ensuring that players with superior ships aren't preying upon those with starter ships. This is not the case in many MMOs' PVP scene where starter players are the fodder for arena-geared players. I'm thinking of a game in particular and it rhymes with 'cow'.

This, and I would say, if they do this, this is one of the smartest moves they have made. It is a common complaint across the net about "gear based" instead of "skill based" in GS.

This would level the field and you would rely on your skill, just as it should be IMO.

This, and I would say, if they do this, this is one of the smartest moves they have made. It is a common complaint across the net about "gear based" instead of "skill based" in GS.

This would level the field and you would rely on your skill, just as it should be IMO.

In theory it would, unfortunately after the initial rush is over and the number of players playing GS have thinned, newly minted ships will be fighting against Ace's and their fully modded ships.

How long until we see bolster in GS?????

SWTOR without cross server queuing does not have the player base for such lofty ideals as this I'm afraid.

In theory it would, unfortunately after the initial rush is over and the number of players playing GS have thinned, newly minted ships will be fighting against Ace's and their fully modded ships.

How long until we see bolster in GS?????

SWTOR without cross server queuing does not have the player base for such lofty ideals as this I'm afraid.

No, they won't. The matchmaking system won't let them. Not to mention the fact that Ship req is earned and spent on individual ships so if players want different ship types they will at some point have to start with a fresh ship. Of course, they will have skill and experience over a new player...

I doubt we will see much thinning but if we do it'll simply mean longer queue pops and not a top tier ship flying amok amongst starter ships.

I'm really not understanding the problem. You don't like that players can upgrade their ships? What are people supposed to work for?

The point was that people who don't upgrade their ship will, if I understand the matchmaking, have a slight advantage over the people who do. I was expecting that efforts spent upgrading would provide an advantage - not too big to unbalance things or too small so the MMO audience thinks they are not being rewarded for the grind.

It's not a big deal; it just struck me as curious for an MMO.

The point was that people who don't upgrade their ship will, if I understand the matchmaking, have a slight advantage over the people who do. I was expecting that efforts spent upgrading would provide an advantage - not too big to unbalance things or too small so the MMO audience thinks they are not being rewarded for the grind.

It's not a big deal; it just struck me as curious for an MMO.

But that is simply a small advantage that continues to diminish over time. The only real advantage someone has by not upgrading their ship is having a better grasp on the flight mechanics and knowing where to go in each map. New players can pick that up fairly quickly anyway, even with no previous experience playing space flight sim games.

What was painfully obvious during testing, however, is that lack of such a matchmaking system pretty much puts the side with starter ships at a complete disadvantage when matched against a side that has upgrades. In more than one match, because of the limited number of testers playing at the time, there were cases where one team only had the initial ships while the other had most or all unlocked and it was no contest - the "lower" team was shut out more often than not.

Player vs Player in Galactic Starfighter with players being matched to players with ships of similar upgrade level is nothing like player vs player in Eve:Online where it's not unknown for a smaller ship to take down a much bigger ship by itself for example a properly fitted Rifter Frigate could take down a mighty Abaddon Battleship.

Anway the matchmaking system for Galactic Starfighter is a good move by Bioware.

if I am understanding the op correctly isn't what they are talking about the equivalent to people who constantly re roll their pvp characters to always stay in the lower brackets

doesn't seem like a big deal if someone doesn't want to upgrade their ship to stay in matches against newbies and get a perceived advantage from their starfighter experience, eventually they will either get bored or step it up to play with the real pilots :D

I guess he mean s it the other way round : Standard, stock basic fighters are soon going to die out, because everyone just upgrades.

At one point, not upgraded starfightersmight be consifered "farming fodder", so to say.

/sigh galactic Starfighter is not as broken as the pvp is right now. there will be no FOTOMS no bolster (god I hope they don't add this) and gear is as how you earn it. if you spend the time playing it you are rewarded accordingly. I sure hope that it remains as pure as it is now relying more on skill and cunning to win the dog fight. the scout ships go fast and dodge, the gun ships hit hard and move slower. its all in your play style. players should note that whining will only destroy the only good pvp that this game will have and that is galactic Starfighter.

I'm really not understanding the problem. You don't like that players can upgrade their ships? What are people supposed to work for?

Urr.... you play game to get entertained. Why do you want to work inside a game? You can do better paying work outside of the game. I also could not understand your viewpoint.

Even IF they could get matchmaking like that to genuinely work it's going to be irrelevant once the initial rush is over and you're grateful to get 24 people for a match at any given point.

This thread should have ended here. Without significant changes (i.e. cross-server queues and legacy wide progress), effectively there won't be any matchmaking anyway. You'll have to wait >30 minutes and then be "matched" with anybody who happened to queue up at that time.

/sigh galactic Starfighter is not as broken as the pvp is right now. there will be no FOTOMS no bolster (god I hope they don't add this) and gear is as how you earn it. if you spend the time playing it you are rewarded accordingly. I sure hope that it remains as pure as it is now relying more on skill and cunning to win the dog fight. the scout ships go fast and dodge, the gun ships hit hard and move slower. its all in your play style. players should note that whining will only destroy the only good pvp that this game will have and that is galactic Starfighter.

Thank you. I was only able to do 1 match / battle, so I can't say for sure.

Uh. I am pretty sure my stock fighter was playing against Dulfy and her fully upgraded Gunship a few times.

Don't rely on Matchmaking. Upgrade your ship.

though I fully agree with you because no systems ever work perfectly

if I remember correctly the match making system was not used in beta or the pts only talked about

Or, you know, this game's normal PVP at 55.

Uh. I am pretty sure my stock fighter was playing against Dulfy and her fully upgraded Gunship a few times.

Don't rely on Matchmaking. Upgrade your ship.

She was a dedicated Scout ship when I played against her. Not saying she does, but she was a pretty skilled pilot at high speeds. I can't imagine playing enough GS on test to "fully" upgrade a gunship though, unless unlocks and upgrades were free in the closed environment.

Edited by ImpactHound

There are two ways to look at this...what current players probably want in majority and what would be best for the game (arguable naturally).

I have an opinion on both.

What players likely want: A system where all players are matched together at random, pitting fully geared players against new ones. This would provide a fun factor with instant reward for those that take the time to fully gear their ships.

What is likely best for the game: A system that places players in matched combat that are essentially equal in gear...IE, someone that is new with ungeared fighters fights with players that are similarly ungeared. Fully geared players are matched.

The reason I feel this is best for the game overall is because GS already has enough strikes against it for the overall public...lack of joystick control, lack of fixed reticule, no "on foot" combat like in BF2. Having a proper matchmaking system would prevent new players from getting shut out of the feature by wildly superior players, making it much more approachable by the masses.

The idea IMO is that this feature needs widespread casual support to provide the maximum ROI and the best chance for it to grow.

Im pretty sure he is asking what the point is to upgrade your ship since you'll never get an edge since you're always gonna be put in a match with people with the same upgrades.

Even if people have everything "upgraded," your loadouts will likely be different based on the weapons and playstyles you prefer.