Republic Dancer's Top Bug

Xelestial_Dragon

I had no idea where to post this, but I was hoping my fellow Shadows/Consulars might be kind enough to help me.

On my Mirialan Shadow, the top is showing up as pink and low-res/uncolored while logged in, and the proper red on the log-in screen, as shown below.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/Hikari_Kyouyama/1-4.jpg

Is there anyway I can fix this? I feel like there is something I'm missing here :S

EDIT- And now I discover that it also turns red in conversations, which furthers my thought that it's a problem with the low-res sets.

Edited by Xelestial_Dragon

The login screen and cutscenes show hi-res graphics.

During normal gameplay, you have the choice of using low-res or medium-res graphics.

Tried putting all my settings high (though character detail and several other settings except for shadows were already on high) and I tried on another computer that always plays high settings and it still didn't change anything :( Thanks though...

Tried putting all my settings high (though character detail and several other settings except for shadows were already on high) and I tried on another computer that always plays high settings and it still didn't change anything :( Thanks though...

What is listed as "high" in your graphics setting is really just medium.

Big thread on the subject (including BW response):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=286535

Edited by Llenyd

What is listed as "high" in your graphics setting is really just medium.

Big thread on the subject (including BW response):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=286535

Well, that makes some sense. I just tried a conversation and you're right! It turns red with the high res model. But still, it doesn't make sense that the color of the outfit is different for me in the low res model, while on other players' low res model, it is red.

But it appears the lower res version for my character is bugged or a different color unless green people are just supposed to have pink, but if that were the case, then the high-res version wouldn't be red :S

I also just found someone with the same exact top, but it was white/gold. Wth :S

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/Hikari_Kyouyama/2-2.jpg

There's an Authenticator Dancer set and a Nar Shadaa Dancer set which are different colors.

As for the changing color of the same set yeah, the low-res texture they're linked to is a different color than the high-res texture.

Actually I inspected and this person had the "Republic Dancer's Top" on, so that's a whole 'nother confusing issue...But I am going to go find this Nar Shadaa Dancer set and check it since this one isn't doing exactly what I need it to.

I've got a theory though, that modding changes the colors of this thing since I have 0 mods in it (since it wasn't the right color I didn't put any mods in it) and my husband's Kira has mods in it, and it is red, and the character pictured that I found with the white version was low level and had low level mods. This sounds crazy, but I'm going to do some testing, as I saw a comment on TORhead that modding the Slave Girl Outfit changed the color of it. I also saw several different screenshots with different colors as seen here http://www.torhead.com/item/4IJpLoa/slave-girl-top#screenshots.

Llenyd, I do appreciate your help greatly.

EDIT to let others know the outcome- Changing mods didn't do anything for me, but I can't deny there are people in the same exact gear running around with different colors, so who knows? I will assume it's buggy as other people have had issues with the gear. However the Slave Girl outfit does show up the correct color, so I will be using that instead :D Hopefully this thread'll help someone else down the line.

I would really, really like to know the answer to this too.

I'm wearing the authenticator dancer's outfit for me. In game, it shows up as light pink. I see others walking around, in game, with red. They say they bought from the authenticator vendor too. I don't understand it... why do they all get red, while I get light pink (that does not show against my skin tone as well).

Mine has mods in it too.

The Nar Shadda version is named Slave Girl instead of Dancer. It is white. I have not gotten the chance to try it because even social 2 is difficult to get to.

This drives me crazy. I would really like the red version everyone else has. I don't understand why I get stuck with pink. Is it maybe your cosmetic choice? Hair or skin color?

Help please!

I would really, really like to know the answer to this too.

I'm wearing the authenticator dancer's outfit for me. In game, it shows up as light pink. I see others walking around, in game, with red. They say they bought from the authenticator vendor too. I don't understand it... why do they all get red, while I get light pink (that does not show against my skin tone as well).

Mine has mods in it too.

The Nar Shadda version is named Slave Girl instead of Dancer. It is white. I have not gotten the chance to try it because even social 2 is difficult to get to.

This drives me crazy. I would really like the red version everyone else has. I don't understand why I get stuck with pink. Is it maybe your cosmetic choice? Hair or skin color?

Help please!

I'm glad to hear it's not only me, but I'm afraid I have no solution to this problem. I opened up a bug report, but you know how those go. I'll try to keep this thread updated for any others with this issue, but there is definitely something buggy/odd with these sets showing up in different colors.

Can I ask what race/skin tone your character is? Maybe it's on certain models or skin tones that this happens. For now I'm using the Slave Girl outfit from the Nar Shadaa cantina because it stays gold, but even the little dangling piece turns pink in cutscenes and stays white out of it.

There's something messed up about the outfit in general that makes it display the wrong color in and out of high-resolution. I would really like the red one too, I had a whole set of gear planned to go with it. If you wear the outfit in cutscenes, likely it will turn red for you too, but who wants it only red in cutscenes?

EDIT- I also found this picture: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/79135252.jpg/ of a purple and silver version and I read somewhere that someone changed the outfit on Nadia by changing her customization, so perhaps this armor really does change based on hair/skin color? I don't know if it's intended, but I think it's unfair if players can't control what color they're getting. Pale pink looks terrible on rich green skin.

Can I ask what race/skin tone your character is? Maybe it's on certain models or skin tones that this happens. For now I'm using the Slave Girl outfit from the Nar Shadaa cantina because it stays gold, but even the little dangling piece turns pink in cutscenes and stays white out of it.

Thank you for your reply... I have a suspicion it might be the character creation settings too. So I will list mine like you ask, just in case it helps somehow:

Human, female, Sage

Body: 2

Head: 17

Scars: 1

Complexion: 25 (plain face with kind of round eyebrows)

Eye Color: 6 (dark brown)

Cosmetics: 9 (plain face, light pink eyeshadow, red lipstick)

Hairstyle: 22 (short with part)

Hair Color: 10 (black)

Skin: 13 (a little pale, which is why the light pink doesn't stand out well!)

Maybe Complexion, Cosmetics, or Skin are likely suspects? Or maybe they have nothing to do with it, I don't know.

I do love the red look in my cut-scenes too. I really would like to have that all the time.

I really hope someone can help, if anyone knows please!

I experienced similar issues with the republic dancer/Slave girl social clothing sets.

One thing to keep in mind is that the republic (red) version is just a minor palette swap version of the slave girl (pink or purple). So if you are mixing them together it may cause some graphical issues outside of the high res conversation only textures. There are many issues on the low/med textures- clipping, not displaying (purple blank mesh appearance) the one most Jedi & sith notice is the "bubble butt" syndrome with robes. Yes, another issue that only shows up in low/med res, conversation and the preview window do not show this error.

There is no fix that can be done by players for this but future patches and graphic card driver updates should address it. (very unlikely bioware will ever allow high res textures to be fully enabled, developer posts here admitted it simply overwhelms their dated engine)

I just want to mention 2 more issues with these clothing sets that bug me: 1) the empire dancer outfit is an actual differently textured appearance that is quite unique, why no similar treatment w/ republic version? 2) all 3 costumes remove an entire overlay of textures outside of high res, instead of a simplified view that is less demanding to render in crowds, you basically are seen in a bra and panties using these.

That's probably an improvement for some but it just struck me as particularly odd that it's only these items that have such a radically simplified view.

Well, as far as I can tell, there are a couple different issues being tossed around here. One is the high-res vs. medium/lower-res thing. Frankly, I feel that's already been hashed out more than enough in other places. And honestly, I don't think that's the main issue with the color of this piece. (Edit: Then again, perhaps it's the issue with the Republic Dancer's set. The Nar Shadaa 'Slave Girl' set is a bit different though, as far as I can tell.)

Simply put, it has different colors based on . . . something. Exactly what the criteria is and whether or not it's fully intended -- nobody but the devs knows for sure, and so far, they're not saying. I see this set on other people, and I see white on some, a rose color on others (that's what I got) -- it's not a different texture set, it's all in standard game play, passing each other at the fleet, non-cutscene stuff. That's not a different res texture coming into play. (Yes, there's LOD, but that's another thing, and I've been standing right next to many of these folks.) And yes, I know there's both the Nar Shadaa and Republic sets which are very similar, and I've inspected people to verify which one they were wearing. It's generally the Nar Shadaa 'Slave Girl' set I'm seeing this with here.

My own best guess (and it's just that -- a guess) is that the artists who did this piece made the color dependent upon the wearer's skin tone. It seems to favor greater contrast, as far as I can tell. Pale-skinned wearers like my own character are the ones I see getting the rose color, while the darker skin tones are the ones I see in white. Still that doesn't account for anything like that silver/purple in the pic that was linked earlier in this topic. I've never seen that in game at all though. Kind of wonder if it was a Beta pic of something that isn't around at this point. But I really don't know

All in all, it'd sure be nice if one of the BioWare art folks would let us know just what's up with this. Personally, I'd sure like to have a choice of color from a decent few options. But . . . who knows?

Edited by Ayradyss

Thank you for your reply... I have a suspicion it might be the character creation settings too. So I will list mine like you ask, just in case it helps somehow:

Human, female, Sage

Body: 2

Head: 17

Scars: 1

Complexion: 25 (plain face with kind of round eyebrows)

Eye Color: 6 (dark brown)

Cosmetics: 9 (plain face, light pink eyeshadow, red lipstick)

Hairstyle: 22 (short with part)

Hair Color: 10 (black)

Skin: 13 (a little pale, which is why the light pink doesn't stand out well!)

Maybe Complexion, Cosmetics, or Skin are likely suspects? Or maybe they have nothing to do with it, I don't know.

I do love the red look in my cut-scenes too. I really would like to have that all the time.

I really hope someone can help, if anyone knows please!

Hmm, I think the only things we have in common are Class, Body Type, maybe Cosmetics, and Hair Color. I have to check the Complexion. It does give us somewhere to go off of for further testing... thank you for the extremely thorough answer. I would like to figure out at least how to manipulate this out of curiosity.

Well, as far as I can tell, there are a couple different issues being tossed around here. One is the high-res vs. medium/lower-res thing.

My own best guess (and it's just that -- a guess) is that the artists who did this piece made the color dependent upon the wearer's skin tone. It seems to favor greater contrast, as far as I can tell. Pale-skinned wearers like my own character are the ones I see getting the rose color, while the darker skin tones are the ones I see in white. Still that doesn't account for anything like that silver/purple in the pic that was linked earlier in this topic. I've never seen that in game at all though. Kind of wonder if it was a Beta pic of something that isn't around at this point. But I really don't know

All in all, it'd sure be nice if one of the BioWare art folks would let us know just what's up with this. Personally, I'd sure like to have a choice of color from a decent few options. But . . . who knows?

Well, it definitely does use a different colored texture in low-res than high-res. Which is weird, cuz if it was intended, why would it go back to the default color in high-res?

Some of the other screenshots in that torhead link even have blue and silver, which is crazy. I myself in-game have seen white and the pale pink mine was (gave up on it and stashed it in the cargo hold)

My experience has been opposite what you said. My husband's Kira (default) has the proper red, but another Consular I saw and screencapped early had pale skin and white hair and white outfit, while I have the rich somewhat dark green skin color for Mirialan and black hair and am getting pale pink. I even put the outfit on default Nadia to test and gotten the same pale pink color, but I'm not sure if the color is based off me or what.

I am going to try it with my blue twi'lek alt and Risha as well as well Nadia customizations when I get the time. Why? Idk, lol I like solving problems and this is a minor, but interesting mystery no one's figured out yet. I'm almost starting to wonder if it's only the wrong color on the only light armor users in the game that can obtain the gear, Consulars. I'm more focused on the Republic Dancer's set since that's the one with the issue for me.

• 8 months later...

I ahve the Nar shadar slave girl set, It is Red. And all my settings are on High.

* I have seen a White awesome looking set on a slave in the Dramand Kass Cantina, but I have yet to find anything you can actually wear that looks even close.

* The imperial slave/dancer outfit is Gold and Black.

* The only outfit I can find is red, no matter where it comes from (Security key or otherwise). It is always the exact same outfit and the exact same color.

The Top's color (in-game, not in cutscenes or in Character preview) just varies based on skin-tone. The darker the character's skintone, the lighter the outfit gets (from red, to pink, to white). I don't think that character preview or cutscenes take this into account, so they appear red.