Update on the Ship Role in Game Update 2.8

EricMusco

Great news to me. I am one of the people that thinks GSF is garbage, it could have been good were it not for the horrid controls, but some people enjoy it.

I tire of this misconception. There's really nothing wrong with the controls. They take some getting used to, granted, and I can understand the disappointment from those expecting joystick support. But the keyboard controls are consistent with everything else in SWTOR, customizable (to an extent), and work quite well once you get the hang of them. Totally second nature for me at this point.

If you don't want to put the time in to learn the controls, that's fine, there are certainly lots of other things to do in this game. But you're really missing out on a fun minigame.

Edited by MaximilianPower

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No negative answers so far?
There aren't enough GSF players to care...hence why they dumped something that seemed like more effort than it was worth, but don't worry, they had already pushed out a few new items for GSF before making that decision, and even the intern's pet ferret can design a ship re-skin for the CM once per month...or something. Edited by Ansultares

Hugely disappointed. I don't much care for the ground game as it's just repetitive. Stories are the only reason to play it. GSF is actually a really fun action game that has so much more potential. I'm sad to say but I doubt it will realize its potential now.

I'm a massive GSF junky and personally think this is good news. If the new ship role was the "stealth" ship then I'm glad its been kicked off the road map.

I love the fact that in GSF you can see your opponents, you have a radar that shows them and you can adjust your game play to what you see.

Stealth ships would ruin what I like most about GSF.

So GSF is on the back-burner already. Do they consider it a failure?

Doesn't really affect me, as I, along with many other people it seems, could never get into it. But it is a little worrying that something that was trumpeted with such fanfare is now seemingly being quietly sidelined at this early stage. Will the same thing happen to Galactic Strongholds?

Well I have mostly played GSF since pre-release so not getting more GSF content is a bad thing. :(

GSF makes me log in every day, Space Barbie's Dream House will not.

I guess a new ship role would require a lot of work to get it balanced, etc. More important, and probably easier, would be some new maps and maybe a new game mode. We really need them because I'm thoroughly bored of the original maps now and starting to get fed up of Denon as well.

Edited by Irongut

It's too bad. The Infiltrators sounded like the ideal counter to Gunships and possibly bombers. And we certainly don't need more bombers and gunships.

Hopefully the development time freed up by it will allow for some time to finally implement features like chat bubbles, however, to turn it into a positive at least.

Seriously with the chat bubbles? Id much rather some playable content than a little bubble with "hi" in it. I really don't see chat bubbles as a great use of resources.

First strongholds got delayed, now the new ship roles, what will get delayed next?

No no, they said indefinitely. This means for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.

Which you can interpret as cancelled. "it has been pushed off of our current roadmap" pretty much solidifies this.

Edited by Yndras

Well each to their own of course.

But chat bubbles? Seriously? What a bizarre thing to wish for, out of all the things that one could wish for. lol

I think what needs to pushed to the top of the list is Vuvuzelas! When are we going to get player vuvuzelas? Ones that can be heard over an entire planetary instance and generate XPs whenever you play them.

Well, I can't say I'm not troubled by the implications. GSF is absolutely the best addition they've done to TOR, and I'm head over heels about it. :)

On the other hand, as an RPer I have to admit GSH looks bloody awesome, and I wasn't that enthoused over the new ship role anyway (the balancing act would have been very difficult). I do hope, however, that this doesn't mean that new maps or game modes are being shelved as well.

Granted, those were never announced in the roadmap and were likely planned for after GSH, but I hope those do remain in the works.

Well, I can't say I'm not troubled by the implications. GSF is absolutely the best addition they've done to TOR, and I'm head over heels about it. :)

On the other hand, as an RPer I have to admit GSH looks bloody awesome, and I wasn't that enthoused over the new ship role anyway (the balancing act would have been very difficult). I do hope, however, that this doesn't mean that new maps or game modes are being shelved as well.

Granted, those were never announced in the roadmap and were likely planned for after GSH, but I hope those do remain in the works.

Agree on every single word XD

I tire of this misconception. There's really nothing wrong with the controls. They take some getting used to, granted, and I can understand the disappointment from those expecting joystick support. But the keyboard controls are consistent with everything else in SWTOR, customizable (to an extent), and work quite well once you get the hang of them. Totally second nature for me at this point.

If you don't want to put the time in to learn the controls, that's fine, there are certainly lots of other things to do in this game. But you're really missing out on a fun minigame.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, it's not that we haven't put the time in to learn the controls.....WE JUST DON'T LIKE THE CONTROLS.....PERIOD. me personally, I tried during early access....hated the controls. Tried again after launch....STILL hated the controls. Tried a few weeks ago just for kicks....yep....you guessed it...HATED THE CONTROLS. So while YOU may like playing "chase the cursor", myself and many others could care less about GSF until they give US what we've been asking for since before they launched it....JOYSTICK/CONTROLLER SUPPORT.

No no, they said indefinitely. This means for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.

Which you can interpret as cancelled. "it has been pushed off of our current roadmap" pretty much solidifies this.

I still hope to get to see it one day though... but yes, maybe you are right and it will be like open world PvP, when BioWare said they will rework Ilum to make it work... and then they never did (the event that almost never happen anyway was a joke).

Well I have mostly played GSF since pre-release so not getting more GSF content is a bad thing. :(

GSF makes me log in every day, Space Barbie's Dream House will not.

This! I play SWTOR because I find GSF, PVP, and end game PVE raiding to be exciting. I leave doll houses to my younger daughter. I would appreciate more attention to real content, including ops, stories, and maps/planets.

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on the new ship role that Bruce had mentioned previously in his roadmap, slated for Game Update 2.8. Unfortunately, that ship role has been pushed out indefinitely. Not to say it is impossible to be brought in at a future date, but it has been pushed off of our current roadmap.

Certainly the first question to be asked is why? Our roadmap began to shift into a new direction with a high priority placed around both Galactic Strongholds and that other expansion Bruce briefly mentioned before. In looking at our current schedule, we felt that Starfighter was in a healthy state and so by cutting the new role, we could make a better experience for our upcoming expansions.

We definitely realize that this will be upsetting news to players who are big fans of GSF. We don't want you to feel like we are just leaving GSF in the dust in place of other features. Coming in GU 2.8 there are 2 new ship variants coming, a new Gunship and a new Bomber. I know it isn't as exciting as a whole new role but we want you to know we are still dedicated to expanding GSF, like all of our game systems.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

I hate to break it to you, because I'm a huge fan of GSF and gave up the ground game for it. But basically what Eric is saying is this:

"GSF did not generate the amount of participants we were hoping for, and nobody bought any of the new ships or custom parts from the CM, therefore, we are going to park this thing because it's simply not worth the investment. We won't make any new maps nor any new ships. But instead, to keep the existing player base happy, we'll reskin a bunch of ships and hope they stay happy. But GSF will go the way of the dodo just like the space missions on rails."

I am disappointed in this news, but I'm rather more cross that you didn't post this in the GSF forums. When I saw this the other day- surrounded by snooty grounders implying that they are just so glad that they get full dev resources, and posted in general for their consumption- I was a bit offended.

I'm also sad to not see another map, and I'd like to know if we are getting an additional game mode any time in the predictable future.

I'm sure you guys will get to it when you can, and I'm sure that you are pulling the team together for a pretty big expac push. But I definitely don't like the sound of this- it sounds like GSF is risking abandonment to some degree, and if this is not the case it would likely be good if you could announce this to calm our nerves some!

• 8 months later...
I hate to break it to you, because I'm a huge fan of GSF and gave up the ground game for it. But basically what Eric is saying is this:

"GSF did not generate the amount of participants we were hoping for, and nobody bought any of the new ships or custom parts from the CM, therefore, we are going to park this thing because it's simply not worth the investment. We won't make any new maps nor any new ships. But instead, to keep the existing player base happy, we'll reskin a bunch of ships and hope they stay happy. But GSF will go the way of the dodo just like the space missions on rails."

This is 100% correct. Bioware will never say it, after all they never said space on rails was dead either, yet it clearly is.