To People Claiming SWTOR Needs To Die...

DarthEnrique

Can it. I know that may slightly offend people but I’ve talked to some people who have claimed this game just needs to die and it irks me because SWTOR is an escape for me from the world. I have invested a lot in this game from buying a PC to actually play it on High graphics without issue to just this year buying an unopened Collector’s Edition for the code and access to the Collector’s Edition Vender, not to mention the subscriptions I’ve bought for myself and a friend along with Cartel Coins. SWTOR is my escape from reality and while I don’t care much for a lot of the MMO aspects other than flashpoints, and OPS which I love, I enjoy the story the most because it answered questions I had had since playing KOTOR and KOTOR II and reading the novel of Revan and Revan has always felt like a dear friend to me and my reaction to the final battle with him in SOR was to cry fhe entire battle cause I felt I was killing my friend who I had loved in KOTOR.

I hope SWTOR will be around for a long time and I don’t lose this escape or access to the final part of Revan’s story as finishing his story was the reason I even came to SWTOR to begin with was cause if was nagging me what happened to Revan. So anywho I just wanted to say this and get it out there. I’m sure some people will disagree but I know what SWTOR means to me and the escape from reality it gives me (though I really wish the disturbing conversation topics in a lot of the chats would stop, but I digress).

I will admit I don’t like some ways the game is being handle (mostly the Cartel Packs bug me as I’m not a fan of RNG), and the direction some of the games content is going (mostly with gearing as I’d just prefer to be able to buy gear with credits from venders than the way we are being made to grind for it and won’t be going for the new gear due to it being crafted only and going to be expensive with lesser gear dropping from Tier 5 crates, no thanks) but I do want to say thanks for the escape from reality. To me it’s fun to play a Sith that is my own, have them decked out in their outfits and just roaming the Star Wars galaxy with them.

Edited by DarthEnrique

Personally it doesn't need to die and I don't think it will anytime soon! Ossus update is huge, 6.0 is up and coming, guild changes too, the game in my opinion is getting better and that's not me being biased cause im a guild leader and were getting a lot of guild changes! The game is going todo fine

If you're referring to GenChat or the official forums you're most likely dealing with people who are either deliberately cranking up the hyperbole as a way of griping about something they want changed, or people who are baiting a reaction.

After all if a player wants SWTOR to die what are they doing playing it? You're either being trolled or it's someone exaggerating on the forums in an attempt to get their complaint noticed. Chances are it is also coming from a subscriber.

Ignore and move on.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

On one hand, there are haters / trolls who say that just to annoy you - don't let them.

On the other, there is a certain logic to the 'let it die so we can all move on / maybe they will make a better SW game' train of thought.

Personally I'm ambivalent - I'm happy it's still around to play from time to time, but I also know it has very real and deep issues as well as does not have the popularity (and hence revenue) to support the level of investment required to make it a great game.

Honestly whenever I see someone saying SWTOR needs to die, I mostly tend to just ignore it. Either they're haters in every sense of the word, and not someone merely criticizing the game for its flaws but hating any aspect of it just for the sake of it or they're troll trying to bait a reaction out of you so not worth your time.

SWTOR needs to be immortal and eternal. I love it so much, so incredibly much. Really, a few days ago I realised I don't know what I would do without SWTOR or what I would game. This game has helped me through a lot, been an escape to a world of wonder in difficult times.

But... I expect SWTOR to remain around for quite a while. 5.10 Jedi Under Siege is going to be a first step in a major revival and I am convinced that 2019 is indeed going to be SWTOR's best year yet!

My favorite is when you are sitting on Fleet on Star Forge that has 170+ peeps and two other instances going in addition at 2am in the morning on a weekday and some jerk off comes along [Not you Woogie] and says "game is dead/crap etc." there is only 65 people on fleet" because he doesn't have enough residual brain cells left over and still functioning now that he had to use them to spell something [and not much better than me I might add] and can't comprehend the concept that he is on a lesser filled depopulating instance.

It's times like that you really feel the age old problem with mmos that has always existed.

You can't hit people.

If, in fact, there is anything at all about SWTOR that needs to die, let's be honest here, it's all the pubs.

I hate pubs. :wea_03::wea_03:

@Devs/Moderator - Pubs aren't real, so it isn't hate speech. If you ban me over imaginary people again I'm gonna be really pissed and...I'm...I'm...i guess I'll be banned again. What the hell can I do about it than...

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Can it. I know that may slightly offend people but I’ve talked to some people who have claimed this game just needs to die and it irks me because SWTOR is an escape for me from the world.

That's nice. What does this have to do with how other people feel about the game?

Seriously. I'm not a hater or anything, but what in all of your OP [where you reiterate that it is escapism at least three times] there an actual argument to make to people who don't like this game but still obsessively play it? Apart from 'don't play it?' To that end, how does other people not liking the game and saying so affect your enjoyment of it or ability to use it as escapism?

These threads pop up every now and then and are supposedly intended to be a positive antidote to complaint threads, but I find that they are really just bait threads.

Edited by Ardrossan

Three good rules to follow:

1) Turn off general chat.

2) Learn to recognize the forum posters that have said for years (I can say that now, I've been back a couple) that every change is for sure the final nail in the coffin and will cause a majority of the player base to leave. When they make such a post, immediately stop what you doing and do 10 stomach crunches. You'll have abs of steel in no time! Alternatively, do what I do and take a sip from a fabulous martini.

3) Learn not to get peeved about the opinions others hold of a PC game.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

There's a saying where I'm from: "Don't let the turkeys get you down."

I really don't care what whiners think about SWTOR as long as BioWare has enough revenue to keep going.

You don't need to care, either. It's not up to them. Tune them out and enjoy SWTOR with your fellow fans.

Many thanks to all the players who post constructive criticisms to help SWTOR stay fun for all of us.

Edited by Xina_LA

Irony is, when the game does finally close up shop, whether 1 year from now or 5 or whatever, those people are gonna miss it and wish they still had it around because really, despite it's many legitimate faults, it's friggen Star Wars.

Nothing's cooler than Star Wars [for nerds like us].

Lightsabers, Sithlords, hot female Juggs running around almost completely naked, killing other players in PVP, beating Styrak on NiM on a speed run [Dragonslayer!!!!], dropping Revan HM [which I still haven't done cuz we couldn't get passed the second floor], awesome vanilla story lines that you apparently can play 90000 times and still not be bored of them yet., dressing up toons, assembling your stronghold, and everything and anything in between.

Star Wars is forever.

[

Irony is, when the game does finally close up shop, whether 1 year from now or 5 or whatever, those people are gonna miss it and wish they still had it around because really, despite it's many legitimate faults, it's friggen Star Wars.

Nothing's cooler than Star Wars [for nerds like us].

Lightsabers, Sithlords, hot female Juggs running around almost completely naked, killing other players in PVP, beating Styrak on NiM on a speed run [Dragonslayer!!!!], dropping Revan HM [which I still haven't done cuz we couldn't get passed the second floor], awesome vanilla story lines that you apparently can play 90000 times and still not be bored of them yet., dressing up toons, assembling your stronghold, and everything and anything in between.

Star Wars is forever.

You're probably right -- but there will be a different crowd as well and they will be insufferable. Perhaps I'm just bitter and jaded, but I can see a whole slew of people coming back to the forums just to gloat saying "I told you so. If only BW had listened to my advice years ago the game would be thriving." I can name three off the top of my head that I think will even blow a month subscription just to return and do precisely that.

I'll simply do a polite /wave and say "hope to see you in the next decent game." My forum posts are pretty recognizable and the primary reason (since I have different screennames) that I always sign off with...

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I don't see why someone feels like a game "Needs" to die. They could just stop playing it!

"Needs" to die? Where do they say that? o_O

He's right, people have said the game "needs to die"...most reasons given all boil down to "I don't like it, you shouldn't be allowed to either"...which is just silly.

The one argument I've seen, that actually made some sense to me, was that without this game, there would be a void in the MMO world of a Star Wars title, a void that hasn't existed in close to 2 decades and hopefully stays filled. Anyway, the theory was that without this game, EA/Lucas Arts would develop a replacement sooner rather than later.

That theory sounds great on paper, but making an MMO is a HUGE investment, and I don't know how realistic it is that we'll ever see another Star Wars MMO.

Why would anyone claim it needs to die? If you don't like it, don't play it. Either trolls or just idiots who like to blame everything else for their problems. "I keep spending money on this game even though I hate it, wahhh, it needs to die!" :rolleyes:

Anyone following the forums for the last 6+ years would know the answer to your question ---> some players are not happy with the format or style of SWTOR and somehow think that if it dies.. another SW MMO will replace it.

This is why most of them play the "it must die" card. It's delusional in my view... because it takes years to build an MMO to be in some reasonable state to release it to an audience. There are absolutely no signs at this point in time that any studio is working on a new SW MMO.... most especially EA (who holds exclusive rights to do so). Oh.. sometimes players get wind of some new SW game and bend themselves into convoluted loops to try and convince themselves and others that it is actually an MMO in the works ... but this is simply jumped-the-shark nonsense.

Yeah.. there are a few cranks here and there that just hate the game and want it to fail in some form of self-validation or sense of retribution... but these are actually few and far between... because most players are simply not that crazy.

Edited by Andryah

2) Learn to recognize the forum posters that have said for years (I can say that now, I've been back a couple) that every change is for sure the final nail in the coffin and will cause a majority of the player base to leave. When they make such a post, immediately stop what you doing and do 10 stomach crunches. You'll have abs of steel in no time! Alternatively, do what I do and take a sip from a fabulous martini.

Dasty

That would make a fun, if not deadly, drinking game. I've lost count of how many times I saw on multiple social medias the occasional "game is dead" topic.

Three good rules to follow:

1) Turn off general chat.

3) Learn not to get peeved about the opinions others hold of a PC game.

Dasty

If only we got a nickel for every time this tired declaration has been slapped on the forum..... we would all be wealthy. :D

Indeed. However.. this is like expecting a doggie to not bark. :p

Edited by Andryah

Let me fix that for you.

and somehow think that if it dies.. SWG2 will replace it.

Yeah, I agree ... it is the old die hard SWG crowd that seems to want the game to die more so then any other demographic. Takes all kinds to make a village I guess.

On a more sensible note.. there are a lot of veteran SWG players that seem fairly content with the EMUs out there to get their sandbox SW fix. :)

Edited by Andryah

Anyone following the forums for the last 6+ years would know the answer to your question ---> some players are not happy with the format or style of SWTOR and somehow think that if it dies.. another SW MMO will replace it.

This is why most of them play the "it must die" card. It's delusional in my view... because it takes years to build an MMO to be in some reasonable state to release it to an audience. There are absolutely no signs at this point in time that any studio is working on a new SW MMO.... most especially EA (who holds exclusive rights to do so). Oh.. sometimes players get wind of some new SW game and bend themselves into convoluted loops to try and convince themselves and others that it is actually an MMO in the works ... but this is simply jumped-the-shark nonsense.

Yeah.. there are a few cranks here and there that just hate the game and want it to fail in some form of self-validation or sense of retribution... but these are actually few and far between... because most players are simply not that crazy.

Yeah, I tend to agree, I think part of the discontent some found with SWTOR is that they went into with unrealistic expectations that it was just going to basically be KOTOR 3. Which is a silly expectation considering those were single player games and this is an MMO.

I know alot of people view KOTOR as this 'holy grail' of Star Wars but for the life of me I don't understand why. I mean, there's no accouting for taste so that in itself makes it a silly argument, plus, I think in the years in between they have made this idolized picture in their minds of how great it was.

2 weeks I was on a week long in-game ban, which is terrible I was fiending for Star Wars something fierce, so I just started looking thru some older games from years back cuz I fugured, well maybe I can find something to keep me occupyed for a while just until I could back here to play. Well, one of the things I came accross was KOTRO The Sith Lords ll. I couldn't remember what it was like at all, so I thought, ohh this will work good, It's Star Wars I dont even remember it so it will be totally fresh and I recall reading on the forums how alot of people really loved KOTRO so I kinda thought that me finding it at that exact time was kinda kismet.

So I installed it but I was having so many conflicts, I guess because its so old and I'm running Windows 7 and this game is like from 1985 when back then the only Windows people had were the ones in walls that you could open to get some fresh air.

Anyways, 3 hours later I get it going, works fine. Within about 2 minutes I found myself so disgusted by what total crap this game was I couldn't how anyone could thing this was an awesome game. The graphics alone make it unplayable. I've played Pac-man games with far better graphics. I tried just to push through it, , I just couldn't do it, it was just terrible so I just uninstalled and went back to playing FPS games where it's okay to shoot at Germans. That never gets old and that language always pisses me off to hear which only makes for a more realistic experience. :D

It just goes to show, you can judge nothing by any merits or flaws that you yourself don't hold as true. I'm sure there are some who would still think KOTOR ll The Sith Lords was awesome.

Also, sure it's logical to assume that when night falls over SWTOR whenever that is, there will be a market for something Star Wars to fill it's place, but that is something that might 5+ years or even longer. It must be a monumental job and nothing short of an accomplished to make such an interactive, beautifully crafted, with amazing storylines and endless possibilities that no 2 players will ever have the same experience and yet still find the wonderful joys it has to offer.

This game has tons of faults, but, even with that, I still love it and I will always play it [unless I get the perma-boot] but baring that, I'm here til the lights go off, no matter what. I love Star Wars. Always, always will and I would be shocked one day to discover, you were gone while this game was still going. You call things like they are, no matter what, whether a popular opinion or not, but I'm pretty sure me and you will be standing in the same virtual room when the lights go out for good, and I'm sure we won't be alone in that regard.

Let me fix that for you.

and somehow think that if it dies.. SWG2 will replace it.

You've got to admire Smedly for what he did. He owned the biggest **** up in MMO history (NGE). By not renewing his license, he is no longer associated with his monumental failings, he's now looked at as the greatest Star Wars MMO visionary ever.