Sound device not re-acquired

Harake

I have a wireless headset (not bluetooth).

If I walk away to the kitchen the sound device (in windows) sometimes get switched (because I'm out of range). This makes the whole game lose ALL sound. When I come back Windows recognizes that I'm back and enables (switches back) the sound device but the game can't pick up on it. Disabling and Enabling the sound doesn't help.

It seems the game only acquires the sound resource at start and doesn't try to re-acquire it when you enable the sound. This also has the side effect of crashing the game when trying to quit the game (probably trying to de-allocate the sound resource and fails unexpectedly).

Steps to reproduce:

* Connect a wireless headset with a usb receiver

* start the game and log in

* Walk away so that the signal is lost

* Game has now lost sound

* Try to quit game and it crashes

I'm on Win 10

Edited by Harake

If the drivers for the device actually pull the device from the Windows sound-device list when the headset goes out of range (but the base station is still plugged in), they are severely defective and you should be beating on the manufacturer to fix them. The device's presence in the Windows sound-device list should depend *only* on the presence or absence of the USB-connected base-station.

That is not what is happening. the device is still there but switches to some other device (probably motherboard output) when I get out of range and switches back when I come back.

All other applications work fine. Not Swtor. It is however not 100% reproducable... I'll try to narrow it down when it happens the next time.

BTw: Updated my post to be clearer

If the drivers for the device actually pull the device from the Windows sound-device list when the headset goes out of range (but the base station is still plugged in), they are severely defective and you should be beating on the manufacturer to fix them. The device's presence in the Windows sound-device list should depend *only* on the presence or absence of the USB-connected base-station.

I have a wireless headset (not bluetooth).

If I walk away to the kitchen the sound device (in windows) sometimes get switched (because I'm out of range).

Easiest solution i can think of is to try the following :D

1. Say in game "brb peeps"

2. Take off headset

3. Walk to kitchen

4. Return from kitchen

5. Put on headset

6. say ingame "back peeps"

Edited by OwenBrooks