Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lakemine
05.16.2019 , 03:36 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
I'd say my experience is the opposite of yours. Long before 5.10 I would notice that ranged companions especially would often NOT follow their targets if they got too far away or out of line of sight and ranged healing companions would not move closer to heal you if you got out of range. It seemed be kind of sporadic though ... sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. It just seemed to become worse more recently.
My experience is that is has been there for a while, it was on and off again from about 2.0 onward, but it became a constant after 4.0 (when they screwed up companions). So for me its always been a issue since 4.0. (Which coincidentally, is when they made the largest change in the game coding to date, which also caused many other issues ingame and across the entire game, some of which still havnt been fixed.)

It is fun to read the patch notes and see what bugs got fixed, because half of them I have encountered myself or a fried has and the other half im sitting there going "What? That was a bug?! lol I never ran into that issue lol." So its fun
I love Star Wars.

IoNonSoEVero
05.16.2019 , 03:39 PM | #12
I appreciate the update on this, Eric. There are favorite companions that I just don't use right now because I can't count on them responding.

I'd like to corroborate that this isn't just ranged companions, though. It's markedly worse with ranged companions, but I've also personally had experiences with melee companions like Lana, Nadia and Akaavi going into lala land, hanging back and not following/attacking/healing. It's random and as I've said it doesn't happen the way it does with ranged companions, but it does happen.

robertthebard
05.16.2019 , 03:57 PM | #13
I used to catch this sporadically with Vette, on my first SW. It was either that, or waiting until she could last hit everything, so I spent a lot of time cussing her out. For a frame of reference, I started right about the time RotHC went live. I've only seen it once in the last couple of weeks, and it was, of course, on Vette, on the same SW... So I figured she was just mad at me for taking an extended vacation...
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

OlBuzzard
05.16.2019 , 04:14 PM | #14
Eric
TYVM for update. It is VERY much appreciated! If there is any way you can have a member or your team look into other companion matters that have been posted it would be deeply appreciated !

Best Regards
Buzz
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

QuinlanSaathis
05.16.2019 , 04:21 PM | #15
Please Please Please unbrick the companions.... Please.

HiddenPalm
05.16.2019 , 05:28 PM | #16
I must have written close to a dozen tickets about a different Companion bug not mentioned here, and I keep getting told that it will be fixed in a coming update. This was many, many, many updates ago. Yet I get the same response.

Ever since we were able to get our companions back through story, their mouths dont work. If I get a companion back through the Odessen alliance base, before they are released through story, their mouths work. But the second I get them back through story, their mouths no longer work.

Im pretty disillusioned to have read the update on companion issues with not a single mention about this. Responses to my countless tickets on this have assured me that the developers are aware of this and will fix it soon. But I have been told this for probably three years now. It's really been that long. Reading the post simply lets me know, there is no interest at all in fixing this issue ever in the new future.

So is this really the case for those of us with broken companion animations? Are we really not getting this fixed?
The Underground Jedi Movement
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." - King
APPLICATION * www.UndergroundJedi.com *
We are the very first and only Anti-War Guild for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Khaleg
05.16.2019 , 10:28 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

One of the things that has come up quite a bit since 5.10 is a number of Companion issues. I posted yesterday letting you know that one of the more prominent issues (ranged companions not attacking) was likely going to be fixed in 6.0. What I wanted to do was make a bit of a bigger post explaining what these issues are, their current status, and when they are likely to be fixed. Letís dive in.

Ranged Companions Not Attacking
This issue is a bit of an interesting case. The common belief is that this is a bug which was introduced in 5.10. That is understandable since it certainly became more noticeable with that update. However, this issue has actually been around since launch. After the reports we received from 5.10 we began doing a deep dive into what was going on. That is where we discovered a pretty substantial issue with how Companions were built which is causing this to happen. Due to this being an underlying issue with all Companions it requires a larger systemic change then just a standard bug fix which is the reason why the fix is taking so long.

An update from yesterday, I was being conservative in saying that it will be fixed for 6.0. Upon double checking with the team they believe that it may actually make it in before then in 5.10.4 in the summer. This is of course still dependent on testing and verification, but you may see it before 6.0 after all.

Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance
One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.

Companions are a critical part of SWTOR and so we take issues with them very seriously. We know that sometimes changes donít come as quick as you would like but know that we are working to get these types of issues resolved as fast as we can! We thank you for all of the reports around these issues as they were very helpful in isolating the root causes to work towards addressing them. And of course, thank you for your patience as we work to get them resolved.

Thanks everyone!

-eric
Hmmm, this issue might have been somewhere under the hood "since launch", as a possible cause for this issue we have now, but it had basically no effect and was not "active" so to say. So this explanation is kinda or actually more than fishy.
Fact is, this critical issue was awaken to life with 5.10 in December, 5 months ago, and again, should have been fixed 5 months ago - 3 days. There were no effective issues before or maybe below the 0.1 % mark for a handful of people every now and then. Since December it's 100 % active for everyone all of the time...just for a reality check Eric. :-)
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

DarthCasus
05.16.2019 , 11:34 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance
One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.
I'm excited about this specifically. I do HOPE it isn't going to reduce the effectiveness of current companions but rather add reasons to use specific ones or ever archetypes if they're plentiful. If Shae all of a sudden becomes what say, Mako is today, I'm not interested.

Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Lokin turn into a rakghoul again?
He still can, just in DPS stance but I haven't checked the others in a little while.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop

Chelan
05.17.2019 , 12:13 AM | #19
I believe the issue became more noticeable because the companions are usually lagging behind. A long time ago when I was playing more regularly, companions would consistently be running by your side unless there was a latency spike. These days though I noticed they can't seem to keep up and just sporadically appear next to you.

Even if the companions weren't able to move since launch but because they were next to you when you start combat they would often also be in range so it didn't matter as much. Now, when combat is initiated, they could be several rooms and a hallway behind.

SteveTheCynic
05.17.2019 , 12:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleg View Post
Hmmm, this issue might have been somewhere under the hood "since launch", as a possible cause for this issue we have now, but it had basically no effect and was not "active" so to say. So this explanation is kinda or actually more than fishy.
It was active. I noticed a while back that ranged companions in heal mode (or pre-4.0 ranged heal companions like Elara, Tharan or Doc) would not follow me to heal if I went out of their heal range and there was an attackable foe within the companion's attack range.

For clarity: Doc is here. 25 metres from Doc (inside shooting range) there's a foe. I'm eight metres beyond the foe and I need healing. Doc would not move to heal me. If one of us kills that foe, and the next in-combat foe is two metres beyond me (so 35 from Doc) he would move in range of at least me.

What happened more recently is that they won't move even when there are no targets in range and line of sight.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.