Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

JakRoanin

I don't understand how the Holocron passed into the dream, was it because it was near the throne when the whole thing started?

Or was it just part of the Outlander's mind fighting back? Freeing Vaylin (and Arcann) in the process?

I wish I knew. It seemed pretty random and was not explained well. It contained Grandpa, and he tells us it can somehow kill Valkorion, somehow, then it can free Vaylin, then it can allow people to enter the mindscape. Then we use it in the fight, about as well explained as the shield with Arcann. May as well also have it able to heal minds and free a living person. .

I wish I knew. It seemed pretty random and was not explained well. It contained Grandpa, and he tells us it can somehow kill Valkorion, somehow, then it can free Vaylin, then it can allow people to enter the mindscape. Then we use it in the fight, about as well explained as the shield with Arcann. May as well also have it able to heal minds and free a living person. .

It was holding 'gramps' in a state between life and death, regardless of choice, he leaves and Vaylin (and Arcann) get zapped by it. Does that men she (they're) now inside it?

Just another favorite moment: <rolls shoulders> "That felt lovely."

That look on her face as Arcann describes running away to the swamps.

Obviously, since I always bring it up, "Choice. I could get used to that."

"Monster!" "How does it feel to be erased from the galaxy?" People actually use those moments to show that she is STILL an over the top crazy person, that once she is truly free that somehow she's still bad for being pissed at Valkorion. I will never understand that. I honestly find Arcann's vague forgiveness to be... creepy. But I forgive him that for the swamp.

Really, just everything after the Holocron.

When I started for the first time to pass the extension, I did not kill Arcann, just because, thinking that he can help to convince Vaylin that as a result, she would still be alive (then again, I never knew all the details), but in principle, I never considered him an enemy and he did not cause in me a strong desire to kill him immediately.

When she spoke those words, I feel only positive emotions, because she finally realized that the Outlander was not her true enemy.

But how can I, damn it, it sucks to realize that after the fight with Valky, her spirit will not be able to go back in the body. This is probably one of the main reasons why I passed KOTET with only one of my main characters.

#Arcann,Nathema&Vaylin

It was holding 'gramps' in a state between life and death, regardless of choice, he leaves and Vaylin (and Arcann) get zapped by it. Does that men she (they're) now inside it?

I approve. Not just because it leads to a story I want, but it makes the one we have make more sense. I mean, yes, the Holocron may simply have an array of powers that can be used on spirits, so it's kind of consistent in that way, but it's strange that the Outlander knew about it. It's easier for me to see thinking that containing her might protect her rather than thinking it has some undemonstrated expanded power set. Still not perfect, but it feels better to me.

Edited by gamephil

I approve. Not just because it leads to a story I want, but it makes the one we have make more sense. I mean, yes, the Holocron may simply have an array of powers that can be used on spirits, so it's kind of consistent in that way, but it's strange that the Outlander knew about it. It's easier for me to see thinking that containing her might protect her rather than thinking it has some undemonstrated expanded power set. Still not perfect, but it feels better to me.

What happens to the Holocron? I assume it gets brought back to Odessen for Sana-Rae or Lana to study?

What happens to the Holocron? I assume it gets brought back to Odessen for Sana-Rae or Lana to study?

Well, Valkorion does destroy its mindscape form, so it may have been destroyed, honestly. But, like so much of this (and this is not me criticizing, I approve of leaving some things open), we don't really know for sure. He may have just been destroying our ability to use it directly against him.

Well, Valkorion does destroy its mindscape form, so it may have been destroyed, honestly. But, like so much of this (and this is not me criticizing, I approve of leaving some things open), we don't really know for sure. He may have just been destroying our ability to use it directly against him.

In the LS version you see Arcann meditating next to it. So, the 'real' one survived.

In the LS version you see Arcann meditating next to it. So, the 'real' one survived.

Yes, that's right, the bit where Senya appears has them both next to it and that shot is after Valkorion destroys it. Good to know. Spirit(s) in our heads, spirit(s) in the box. I'm good with either.

Edited by gamephil

Throwing my wallet at the computer monitor isn't working!!!!!!!!

Huh, you'd think that would be enough. I think your monitor is broken, or your wallet just doesn't have enough money in it.

"I'll be there, every time you close your eyes."

Throwing my wallet at the computer monitor isn't working!!!!!!!!

Try dancing with a tambourine:D

Well, at least this and similar discussions about Vaylin gaining momentum, so, i suppouse, continue to keep to comment on, to ponder , to offer!!

Come on, Comrade prophet, we have a lot of work!

#Arcann,Nathema&Vaylin

Try dancing with a tambourine:D

Well, at least this and similar discussions about Vaylin gaining momentum, so, i suppouse, continue to keep to comment on, to ponder , to offer!!

Come on, Comrade prophet, we have a lot of work!

#Arcann,Nathema&Vaylin

Make a sacrifice to the gods!

Not favorite moments, but:

Jarak: "... but she made no move to help. Things are progressing well."

I took that to mean she made moves to help before that. It seems the best read, if not the only one: if she didn't move to help, there is no "progress", just more of the same. There was someone there that would help, an impulse that Jarak tortured out of her.

Codex: "While trying to cage his daughter's anger, Valkorion transformed her into a monster."

They're pretty consistent, and this just doesn't look open to other interpretations: she wasn't a monster before. Jarak's holos appear to mean that, and the codex entry outright says it. Yes, she harmed people, even killed people (I like to think it was a temper tantrum with too much uncontrolled power, rather than outright maliciousness, but to each their own. But it makes the codex entry and Jarak's holos make more sense), but that something else might have been done. Maybe she would have been, anyway, maybe Lana was right (though she seemed to be making progress with Senya when they were left alone), but she wasn't at that point.

It's Valkorion's fault. She wasn't some pure innocent before that, but she wasn't just the monster people paint her as, either. They went through too much trouble to show otherwise for that to be the case, regardless of Lana's opinion. Even if they also seemed to try to overturn those moments, those moments are still there. No idea why they started to just seem to ignore them. Those comments and scenes weren't subtle and they weren't trivial. It's Valkorion's fault.

I have to wonder, if the Betrayed video (or something similar, some of the events would change) had been released when the Sacrifice video was, actually introducing all the characters (and making KotET less of a whiplash, going from something that really seemed designed to gain her sympathy to being beaten over the head with Just How Awful She Is, worse than Arcann, worse than Anyone!), would the reaction have been so against her? Seeing a little girl tortured into insanity before we knew who she grew up to be? Or are there other factors involved in that reaction?

Edited by gamephil

Does anyone here want to romance Vaylin or just have her as a "platonic" companion?:rak_03:

I'd prefer a platonic companion. She was too broken for too many years, and the story would feel like the Outlander is taking advantage of that for me. I'm not going to complain if was done for people that do want it, and I'd play through it once to see what's what, but I'm not interested in a Vaylin romance.

Honestly, I would have settled for having the option to give her some kind words, but we're kind of past that, now.

Edited by gamephil