So, should I be running around or what?

You should be using pillars, rocks, etc.. to shoot your instants and then strafe behind them. Breaking line of sight means they cant shoot you. But if they aren't facing you, its fine to cast a few abilities.

EDIT: My bad, you wrote NPC. I thought you were talking about PvP. Since all PvE NPC's auto rotate then yea its fine to stand there and cast. Help yourself and pick up any talents that reduce the pushback though.

Edited by AGSThomas

I have both a trooper and a smuggler. I find using items for cover works well. As a smuggler, you have the ability to crouch behind items and improve your situation. If you have difficulty with the class itself, it might be worth watching a YouTube Video for making a new Smuggler or whatever your ranged class happens to be. Good luck.

Most classes have multiple abilities to get rid of clumps of mobs. Ranged NPCs 90% of the time do not move. So just plan to use your area of effect abilities around them. For a ranged Elite mob, most of them don't do a lot of damage with their auto attack. They have abilities that need to be interrupted such as Full Auto, or a Heal so just watch their cast bar as you fight and be ready with your knock back and/or interrupt.